Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old bike: Worth doing up? If not, for sale!

Options
  • 04-12-2008 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have an old bike which would need a lot of maintenance before it could be used. The frame in a 56/58cm Raleigh with a nice metallic pale orange colour. It has Wolber Aspin tubular wheels. There is a bit of rusting on the frame, but a lot of the components may need replacing. Tyres are ripped, cables are frozed etc. I am wondering if it is even worth doing up? I do not want to spend much on it at all, as it is not for me but a possible present! What do you think I could do with it? Like what would need replacing and roughly how much money is involved? If it is completely useless, I might sell the frame!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

fix it. ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

1993 just called and wants its bartape back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

May as well fix it, I can't imagine you'd get too much for it.

That being said, it can be hard to come across old racers, I was looking for steel-framed one for a friend for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

That bar-tape is criminal, especially with the brown hoods on the brake levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

How much money and time do you think it would take to get it up and running again?

• Advertisement

How much money and time do you think it would take to get it up and running again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Nurse it back to health and keep it, i know I would... give it a chance for a come back ...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Lord knows how much it'd cost to do it up really... it's all down to you.

I did a quick estimation on CRC there, and here are my findings:
    • 22 BRAKES
    • 17 BARS
    • 30 PEDALS
    • 17 STEM
    • 17 CABLES
    • 5 TAPES
    So, for around €100 I could have it looking good again. I'm not sure if I really need some of these items, maybe the money would be better spent on the drivetrain. Another €100 could get me clincher wheels (I really don't like the sound of tubulars!) But I don't see that happening. et me know what you think! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

el tonto wrote: »
    1993 just called and wants its bartape back.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA i am on the floor.. literally hahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

The transfer at the down tube shifters look like Reynolds logo, possibly 531 steel, I was looking for such a frame last year. I wouldn't spend too much on components, keep whats on it if in fair condition. Inspect/regrease bottom bracket, if too much wear replace with modern cassette unit. The chainset appears to be 50/40, typical freewheel of the time was 12 to 28, you may need better ratio for hill riding. The old wheels look like steel rims rims, if Alu rims, are likely to be single skin so check for brake wear. Replace all the brake cables.
    I use a similar model for leisure cycling, the braking performance and wheels weren't up to what was needed for commuting in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Niallface

i pulled an old raleigh chiltern covered in concrete out of a skip a while back now it looks like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/21320054@N06/3080631026/ but yes it takes a while if you want to do a nice job. my bike is also a fixie for simplicity sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

OMG I have that bike up in my attic and only retired it about 3 or 4 years ago. It's a Raleigh Campagnolo Gran Sport Reynolds 531c, one of Raleigh's Lightweight Division way back in the early 80's, lovely egg shell orange colour too. I cold set the rear triangle to fit modern 9/10 speed wheels but c0cked it up and misaligned the frame. I also put in a seat post that didn't really fit and it's a little cracked there now too :(

Didn't have the heart to throw it out as it has served me very well for 15 or so years.

Long Live the Gran Sport...... Make it into a fixy or singler.

Advertisement