Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Politicians

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

limklad wrote: »
    No, It is the quality of candidates (who want to be Politicians) on the list that we are asked to vote on. It is very difficult to pick the best of a bad bunch.

And very easy to form your own political group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭trentf

who cares how they speak? its what they do that matters and if i was them the least of my concerns at the moment would be how i speak....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

trentf wrote: »
    who cares how they speak? its what they do that matters and if i was them the least of my concerns at the moment would be how i speak....

Yes, you're correct to a certain degree.

However, when we get stories of govt. ineptitude and corruption filtering through the media on an almost daily basis. Fumbling, incoherent mumblings in the Dail and in interviews outside the chamber, a prime minister who looks more like a cattle dealer than the leader of the govt.
    It does not inspire confidence.

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Political oratory is a matter of fashion.

And the people of the Dáil are the ultimate Irish fashion victims. Since Bertie Ahern's style involved modest um-soaked waffling, that became the mode du jour. If Eamon Gilmore became Taoiseach, then clear, blunt, incisive speaking would be the new mode.

The 18th-century speakers praised by (I think it was) Donegalman in some nicely-written posts had a classical education, so they learned to speak with the crisp phrasing of the Greeks and Romans.

Burke, by the way, was so dull in his speaking manner that the House emptied when he spoke. It was only when people read his speeches that they were inflamed.

His education was in the same school as Napper Tandy, the Quaker boarding school in Ballitore, Co Kildare.

I wouldn't personally be leaping to praise Grattan, whose government was notoriously corrupt and viciously sectarian.

A side note: there was a speech teacher on the radio the other day who cured a company's staff of em-ing. He passed out water pistols, and anyone who heard someone saying "em" or "uhh" while on the phone had permission to soak the em-er. It might add colour and vigour to the Dáil debates if this practice were followed.

The comment about Mary Harney ordering dinner: shame on you (heh). The comment about her leaving government over Dublin's buses - now there's an idea: put her in charge of Dublin's transport. If she can't make the city run efficiently, at least we'll end the obesity problem because people will have to walk to work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Brian Cowen's style has definitely brought down the tone and language in politics since he came in. Even take the gaffe about the Consumer Agency - anytime you see a microphone you should assume it's connected to something! He regularly blusters and blows about issues such as Lisbon, where he roars and shouts but doesn't address the very concise issues presented to him. His manner better suits an argument in a pub after 20 pints rather than civilised political discourse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The dynastic selection system of the poltical parties almost guarantees inept politicians and by default inept governments. I would agree, what one has to say is more important than how one says it but even more important is that one knows what one is talking about.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I always thought Jim Kemmy spoke well whenever I heard him - I used to liken his speeches to a recitation - not that they were rehearsed but the delivery flowed with a kind of poetic rhythm.

I saw Joe Jacob elected at a count after a week long recount and he gave a great speech, and held everyone in the audience, considerably different from what his junior ministry is known for - iodine tablets.

Advertisement