Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips regarding motivation?

Options
  • 04-12-2008 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Im a slightly above average student and i do quite well in tests but i just cannot study.

Whenever i sit down with a book to study i just can't do it,i get easily distracted and do something else.

I put it all down to me just not being motivated,any hints and tips for me?It would be greatly appreicated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Do you know what you want to study when you sit down to do it? "Today I will study the chapter cell division" is much more realistic than "today I will study biology". Try to be specific about your study goals. Maybe ease yourself into study with a subject that doesn't require much staring at a book. Do you like maths? Doing past exam questions is a more practical way of studying than staring at a book, so starting off your study with something reasonably practical might help you get in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

All that motivates me is the fact that if I put in enough work now, I can be exactly where I want to be next year. Do you know what you want to do after the Leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

All that motivates me is the fact that if I put in enough work now, I can be exactly where I want to be next year. Do you know what you want to do after the Leaving?

I have got a general idea of what i want to do and i would like to achieve that but i really don't get it.I just find myself completly unmotivated and what makes it worse is that ive christmas tests in the coming week and i know i'll do terrible yet i still can't study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

my motivation was to do better than people i hated

if failing you could always ask your dad to give you a kick up the ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭danishidiot

I get what this guy is going through. I did really well in the pointless JC but cant seem to get down and study. For examplle im wasting my time on a forum at 2 in the morning when I should be asleep/studying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I get what this guy is going through. I did really well in the pointless JC but cant seem to get down and study. For examplle im wasting my time on a forum at 2 in the morning when I should be asleep/studying.

What you think you should be studying at this time? That's hardcore. I also know what danishidiot and OP are talking about but, only recently when I started to go to open days and stuff It completely changed my mind. I started saying to myself "Oh I'd love to go here" I say just remind yourself of how fun college life will be and making new friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

My motivation was getting my ass the fcuk out of school

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

as motivation goes, how about the idea of failing. losing a whole year of your life repeating one or two ****ty subjects because you didnt get the grades you needed and not getting to go to college when your friends do.

and then having pissed about for a year the government will have reintroduced fees.

so you either pass this time round or you lose a year of your life and 120 thousand euro of your parents money. for which they will resent you for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

mawk wrote: »
    losing a whole year of your life repeating one or two ****ty subjects .

Repeating was the best year of my life ...........so far

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Exact same as me mate. Im getting by on intelligence but i really need to start doing proper study. I cant bring myself to do it. Like if i've a revision test on say Monday. And im doing nothing all day sunday and have time to study i will leave it literally till as long as i can get away with (usually like 1am monday morning) and cram and scrape by.
    Im doing BARE MIN. and aiming for like 530 so haha help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement