Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Prices ?

Options
  • 04-12-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Im sure this question probally pops up every day on the board but im basically looking for a rough estimate of how much i would be paying for insurance ! however HIGH it may be. Im 19 but turning twenty in early january an plan on getting a quote after me birthday ! some of yeahs may say ive no chance of getting insured others mite say ill be paying loads.So basically I'll be. . .

(Age) 20
    (Car) Volkswagon Jetta 1.9 Tdi
    (License) Provisonal

I plan on going second driver and the first drivers full license.

Oh and Im MALE !

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

depends where your living. Ill guess about 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

you could just ring the insurance companies asking for quotes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SWAY Z

seanybiker wrote: »

Liveing in the North Inner City of Dublin ! (I no Thats Not Gonna Help:()

I Plan on ringing up and asking just geting a rough estimate before i do so after the new year like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Who owns the car? Sometimes with young drivers the insurance company will stipulate that the main owner of the car is the main insurance policy holder because of the implications of who will be using the car most of the time.

So say if you own the car and you go named driver, the insurance company could refuse to pay out a claim based on the fact that the main insurance policy holder had no financial interest in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

just check out quick hibernian.ie for online quotes or quinn-direct.com for slightly less quick.

my brother is like 18 with prov license and i think his insurance is like 1600 on a 1.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

If you do get a quote it would be €2000+ anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

seanybiker wrote: »

Honestly, how did you arrive at figure? I couldn't even begin to guess as we don't have acces to criteria the insurance companies use to calculate premiums.

OP, nobody here can tell you how much it will cost, insurance companies build their quotes based on lots of factors such as age, location, driving experience, proffession, etc. Some insurance companies charge more for some and less for others depending on how they assess the risk of these factors.

Your best bet is to ring around and at least that way you will get a good idea of how much it will cost you. Anything here might be wide guess work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

My first insurance on a provisional last year was €1800 3rd party on a 1 litre Seat Ibiza! and i live in Rural wicklow so i imagine you wont get a quote for a 1.9 Tdi or it will be threw the roof let us know im curious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

The company I work for wouldn't quote you unless you have 3 years ncb & a full licence because the cc of your car is too high. A lot of companies will rate vehicles on the engine size regardless of the horsepower so if its at all possible to change to a smaller engine size I strongly recommend it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are the phone lines down?
    Just get the golden pages and ring them all. Also check online - frequently a company will give a discount for buying online!

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Honestly, how did you arrive at figure? I couldn't even begin to guess as we don't have acces to criteria the insurance companies use to calculate premiums.

OP, nobody here can tell you how much it will cost, insurance companies build their quotes based on lots of factors such as age, location, driving experience, proffession, etc. Some insurance companies charge more for some and less for others depending on how they assess the risk of these factors.

Your best bet is to ring around and at least that way you will get a good idea of how much it will cost you. Anything here might be wide guess work.

Ye i guess your right ! im gonna start ringing around after christmas ! anything below 2500 will be great ! ill keep yeahs posted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Get an online qoute on quinn direct, i'd say it'll be around 2k as a guess as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 p0u1

im 19 and i have mk3 golf 1.6i the faster one:rolleyes:
    £1800

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

My first insurance on a provisional last year was €1800 3rd party on a 1 litre Seat Ibiza! and i live in Rural wicklow so i imagine you wont get a quote for a 1.9 Tdi or it will be threw the roof let us know im curious :D
    I had insurance at a few adresses, my mams, dads and where I was living with me Granmother, lots of moving around, but the price never changed, that was Ballivor, Stamullen, Dub 7 and Dub 11. I've never found area to make much of a difference. That was with two different companies too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

i'm a 26 yr old male. full license, full no claims, and a load of insurance companies wouldn't quote me on anything over 1.6 ..... I drive a 1.9 tdi octavis, similar car and after rining every insurance best quote i got was 900 fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭billyhead

It will also depend on wheteher you get 3rd party fire and theft or fully comp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

SWAY Z wrote: »
    Im sure this question probally pops up every day on the board but im basically looking for a rough estimate of how much i would be paying for insurance ! however HIGH it may be. Im 19 but turning twenty in early january an plan on getting a quote after me birthday ! some of yeahs may say ive no chance of getting insured others mite say ill be paying loads.So basically I'll be. . .

(Age) 20
    (Car) Volkswagon Jetta 1.9 Tdi
    (License) Provisonal

Oh and Im MALE !

:D

So you'll be a named driver on a fully licenced drivers insurance? I'm insured as named driver on a BMW 320D for €800. I've had my provisional licence 2 months. I'm a 21yr old male. The insurance policy is my mothers. Does this seem low? Will being insured on a 2 litre car as named driver help reduce my insurance quote if I buy something like a 1.9tdi when I get my full licence and my own insurance policy in my name?

GStormcrow wrote: »
    So you'll be a named driver on a fully licenced drivers insurance? I'm insured as named driver on a BMW 320D for €800. I've had my provisional licence 2 months. I'm a 21yr old male. The insurance policy is my mothers. Does this seem low? Will being insured on a 2 litre car as named driver help reduce my insurance quote if I buy something like a 1.9tdi when I get my full licence and my own insurance policy in my name?

Yup Thats Is Named Driver ! 800 Euro's On A 2 Litre Is Really Really Low Man ! How Long Is Your Mother A Full Licensed Driver (Ive Been Told They Take That into Account Also When Being Insured)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

September a year ago it would have cost me €780 to be a named driver on my fathers insurance with FBD on his Passat. His insurance is TPFT.

Anyway I went off and bought my own Passat and I got insured for €1890 TPFT with Quinn and I was able to use my own insurance to drive his car provided I had his permission. I thought it was reasonable because I didnt even have a years named driving experience as I was only insured midway through his previous years policy. I was 18 at the time too.

So now I have a years NCB and my insurance is down to 1570 this year....If I stayed with FBD I would be paying about 600(at a guess) to be a named driver on a car that I would only get to use at weekend....no thanks.

Just to note: I got my full licence before I considered buying my own car.

Best of luck with your search for reasonable quotes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Yup Thats Is Named Driver ! 800 Euro's On A 2 Litre Is Really Really Low Man ! How Long Is Your Mother A Full Licensed Driver (Ive Been Told They Take That into Account Also When Being Insured)

You normally get an ontro bonus if youve been named on a policy (never held ins in your own name) but you get nothing for being named driver with a prov lic.
    Remember to drive accompanied by a full licence holder ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I'm 19, paying €2100 on a 1.4 00 Golf, fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

i'm a 26 yr old male. full license, full no claims, and a load of insurance companies wouldn't quote me on anything over 1.6 ..... I drive a 1.9 tdi octavis, similar car and after rining every insurance best quote i got was 900 fully comp.

Apologies for the threadjack but i find that shocking...... I have never been refused a quote on anything. At the moment im driving a 1.9tdi octavia and @ 24 i pay 890 fully comp..... And when i got the car and was insured on it first it was 1300 on a provisional with 1 year no claims...... /end jack

OP i would think you would probably get away with 2000 or close to it. I know some of the lads around here driving all sorts with huge BHP and they are nearly all around your age with quotes coming in under 2500 fully comp. I would look certainly at Quinn & FBD in your circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

does the person own the car and you will be a second driver

OR do you own the car and your trying to get cheaper insurance by having someone else as the first name on the policy?

if its the latter its completely illegal and you will get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just reading this I relaise how much I am being ripped off with Quinn Direct. I am 27 and have had my full licence for 2 months. The last premium I paid back in August on a 1 litre Micra was 925 (3rd party, F&T Insurance). When I passed my test in October I was refunded only 55 euro and when I upgraded my car to a 1.4 litre one two weeks ago and changed my policy to fully comp I had to pay an extra 325 euro. Next Time my policy is up for renewal I am going to go with a different insurer. So much for Quinn being cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I was kind of the same position as you OP was insurance was up for renewal a few days prior to my 25th birthday. Rang around brokers and explained that for all intents and purporses I was 25. Allianz were the only crowd that the brokers could get to provide me with insurance under these circumstances + the extras I wanted. Fully comp on a 03 130bhp Passat Full licence for 7years, Full NCB protection, Motor breakdown, windscreen and driving other cars 650euro. Rang the local office of the insurance company im with (Axa) and said that they would lose my custom unless they matched (they had sent out a renewal a week earlier for 820) got the same cover for 630euro. It takes leg work and if an insurance company knows that you are prepared to bring your business else where they will try and do business with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement