Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish for marine aquarium

Options
  • 04-12-2008 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey everyone. I've kept freshwater tropical fish for the past three years and absolutely love them but I've being dying to get a marine aquarium for ages and after doing a good bit of research re. what's involved I've decided to go ahead and get one. I'll probably start off quite small initially and see how I get on - probably an 80 litre tank approx. I' ve checked prices and all that and realise it will be quite expensive to get started but was just wondering if anyone could tell me in reality how much it would cost approx to set up and stock this size of tank and also can anyone what would be nice fish to stock it with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Take a look at the Leinster Fish Keeping Society forum. Loads of salties there that are more than willing to help.

www.irishfishforum.com

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I did this a few of months ago. I converted my 70l tank over to marine. It was so expensive and to be honest was so not worth it!
    Sand €20
    Salt €30
    Treatments €60
    Lava rock €80
    New bulb €20
    Hydrometer €25
    Food €5 per pack.
    Books (you can't really put a price on them though!)

I have 3 feather dusters and 3 other soft corals at €15 to €40 each.
    Fish are generally about €20 to €50 each for a small tank.
    Snails at €6 each.

I've abandoned mixing my own water so I now buy it at €15 for 20L every 2 weeks. I lost anything from €200 to €300 worth of fish in the process of setting up even though I had my water tested every week or more often and it was spot-on. Marine fish can die for almost no reason at all within days when introduced into the tank!

If i'd be able to go back I wouldn't have bothered parting for my €600ish just to have slightly more colourful fish! But now that I'm pretty much over the worst and the setup is established I might as well keep it going.
    My advice is don't bother I'm afraid... Keep the tropical freshwater setup and buy yourself some Jimmy Choos or an iphone or some other extravagence. :D

Hope this helps you decide Brid200.

PS I currently have a Blue Wrasse, A Firefish and an Azure Damselfish, 2 snails which have recently had lots of baby snails!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Rory, What are you using for filtration????

I hope you mean "Live Rock" and not "Lava Rock".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Of course.
    4140153567a9585932301l.jpg

I also have TWO Fluval 2plus' running side by side in the tank, but for asthetic reasons and to free up a little more space I hope to change to an external filter soon.

Advertisement