Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beamish and crawford to close.

Options
  • 04-12-2008 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

What a sad event especially for the workers coming up to Christmas. Only last sunday i had a pint of beamish for 2.65. Many happy memories in their hospitability room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

dewdrop wrote: »
    What a sad event especially for the workers coming up to Christmas. Only last sunday i had a pint of beamish for 2.65. Many happy memories in their hospitability room.

Yes Dewdrop,

And one also has to ask about the Competition Authorities role in all of this. They allowed one stout manufacturer IN THE SAME CITY to take over another one. And the real irony - Beamish were under license brewing Miller, Fosters and Carling - so Heinekin / Murphys for a while were brewing their own competition. Laughable - even my neice of 4 could have told the competition authority what the net result of this takeover was going to be.

So yet another of the 800 or so useless quangos has buried another business and added to the dole queue further.

I refer you to this recent article:

Inquiry into Beamish takeover enters new phase - The Irish Times - Sat, Aug 02, 2008
    Cheers
    Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

It's a disgrace. 400 years of brewing history down the toilet so what will the the place be like now? Apartments?

I'm sickened. When I heard it announced on the news I actually shouted at the TV.

Some Competition Authority - add to dole queues, close a historic company and further take away from the soul of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Sad news for Beamish drinkers. :( Best of luck to the 120+ laid-off workers - couldn't have come at a worse time.

Competition Authority? Me b*llicks. Prime city-centre property FTW -- even in this economic climate. How long before the inevitable fire which tragically destroys the Counting House paving the way for the new Finbarre's Vista luxury apartments? Maybe we should start a sweepstakes.

Depressing. I feel like having a skinful, but oddly, I don't feel like drinking Murphish.

A god damn shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I remember passing there on the bus to school , remember the competition to guess how much drink was in the giant containers ,

sad day , specially just before xmas and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Such a shame to see a company that has been trading since the 1700's to go down in a stupid recession. Its a terrible blow for Cork! Im not a beamish drinker but i sure will miss that place!!! Stupid Fine Fail:mad::mad::mad:!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Maddening, that's what it is. I'm compiling a list of Heineken products to add to my blacklist. Anyone drinking Heineken in Cork tonight should have it slapped out of their hand.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Sales just aren't high enough. I've heard Murphy's is in trouble too and that Heiniken might pull the plug if sales don't improve. We'll be left with Shandon Stout or Gayness.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,693 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

is the product simply ceasing to exist or might they still brew a limited quantity in the heineken/murphys brewery?

no more beamish red? say it aint so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Its such a shame!! No other words for it. I walk past the place everyday, it just wont be the same anymore. Its part of the history of the city and its people :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

The Beamish pint will continue to be brewed but now by Heineken.
    I wonder wil the cheaper pricing policy remain, if not then the competition authority really has messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

I'm disgusted. Another piece of Cork history gone. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Sad for the workers I know but it's the history of the place that made me upset to hear this, such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ulick-magee

I am starting a fund to buy the place and keep it independent cork people who drink Guinness are to blame for the loss of beamish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

cork people who drink Guinness are to blame for the loss of beamish

No, they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

No, they're not.

Yes, they are.

I am the king of debating.....

<edit>I should probably point out that I don't actually believe that. I know one guy who drinks Guinness and Murphys and can't stand the taste of Beamish, for example. </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ulick-magee

found this on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=36691594285

Beamish is the best..it'll be wrecked if it goes over the water to the Murphy's brewery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Ah it won't be the same if they brew it somewhere else. It was my new favourite drink an' all. Bet Heineken will feck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Dreadful news. Oldest brewery in the land - survived wars and famine - but fell foul of the 'Competition Authority' - as useless as the 'Energy Regulator' who sanctioned 20% and 30% increases in ESB and Gas just before the price of oil dropped to 4 year lows. Why do we put up with these useless waste-of-space bodies? They should be beaten and sacked.

So now that Beamish is to close I am stopping drinking Beamish, Murphys and any other product made by Heineken. It's Shandon Stout and Paulaner for me. It's a sad day. Unemployment set to reach 12%, and the Competition Authority helping things along in that direction. Where is the tradition of protest in Ireland? Or is it the French who are the true rebels?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Obviously it's too late to get this situation turned around, but is there anything could be done to stop this kind of thing happening again? Is there anything to be said for filing complaints with the EU competition authorities? Did they have to approve this too?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

A good riot inside the Competition Authority's offices. They have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

This is quite bad news, and just when I was getting into drinking Beamish, - also terrible for those employed there..
    Guess you won't be hearing the old "home and away" line in bars, which i always thought was a great way of ordering pints..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

This is quite bad news, and just when I was getting into drinking Beamish, - also terrible for those employed there..
    Guess you won't be hearing the old "home and away" line in bars, which i always thought was a great way of ordering pints..
    Um, what home and away line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

its a fairly old phrase, when ordering a murphys and a beamish one would refer to them as a home and an away, depending on which side of the city you were on...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its a disgrace really,closed down and gonna be turned into a tourist attraction just like the whiskey place in middleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Just goes to show tradition means fcuk all these days, money is king.

Also an unfortunate but unavoidable result of this country being uncompetitive, and having everything bought out by multinationals:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Sad news for Cork :/

shnaek wrote: »

So now that Beamish is to close I am stopping drinking Beamish, Murphys and any other product made by Heineken. It's Shandon Stout and Paulaner for me. It's a sad day.

Paulaner is a heineken drink. :cool:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

dam niall beat me to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I can't get over the reaction to this here, it's called business folks, it happens.

Advertisement