Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predict Irish Squad in 5 years time

• 04-12-2008 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Cave
    12. Fitzgerald
    11. Earls
    10. Sexton
    9. Willis
    8. Heaslip
    7. O'Brien
    6. Ferris
    5. Ryan
    4. POC
    3. Ryan
    2. Cronin
    1. Healy

16. Fogarty
    17. Court
    18. Toner
    19. Niall Ronan
    20. O'Leary
    21. Keatley
    22. Felix Jones/McFadden

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Your selection makes fascinating reading. Generally agree with just a few quibbles. Would question the half backs as they are yet to prove themselves though they may do that in next few years. Possibly Ian Keatley/Eoin Reddan in starting 15. Robert Kearney's younger brother (forgotten his first name) I have seen playing for Irish Under 20's and looks a real prospect for the future in the back line. Must say your back line looks to have a touch of both class and pace especially out wide and really has an exciting look about it.
    As regards the forwards I think that David Pollock will probably make the grade in the back row. Will POC still be going strong in 5 years? I definitely hope so for he's been our most consistent forward (along with David Wallace) since the beginning of the Millennium! My Ulster bias leads me towards Ryan Caldwell in second row but his discipline lets him down too often so really can't disagree with your selections as long as POC's body can take another 5 years of punishment! What about Tony Buckley in the front row? Also think that Jerry Flannery (injury excepting) could still be the man in the middle of the front row in 5 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Johne Murphy, McFadden, O'Malley and a fair few others. ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Lomu

15. Kearney
    14. J. Murphy
    13. Earls
    12. Fitzgerald
    11. Bowe/ Trimle
    10. Keatley
    9. O'Leary
    8. Heaslip
    7. Pollock
    6. Ferris
    5. D. Ryan
    4. Toner
    3. Buckley
    2. Flannery
    1. Healy

Subs From: Cronin, Fogarty, Hurley, T. Ryan, Caldwell, S. O'Brein, Willis, Sexton, B. Murphy, Carr, Lifeimi Mafi ?!?!?!?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd be more confident of Keatley making it then Sexton, Willis also doesnt seem the same player since his shoulder surgery - not that there are many good scrum halves floating about. Not so sure POC will still be going in five years time either. I've been very impressed by Toner this season, but Caldwell is also a good bet.

It's still a very good squad. I think this "golden generation" thing was a bit nonsense really - BOD is really the only player that we're unlikely to see the likes of again anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Its definitely an interesting question, and I think its a question of whether those players who are improving at the moment keep improving at the rate they are at the moment.

For instance, Keatley will in the next two years greatly benefit from increased standards in the competition, and in his outside players. While Connacht has given him a great chance to shine, he'll never get the opportunity to really polish his skills there (a la gavin duffy, who IMO could be a much better player if he was playing day in day out with better players outside him) - similarly with Toner, who I think has benefited immensely from HC experience, and I must say McFadden after watching him last Saturday really shone through.

The funny part is though, I'd love to look back on this thread in five years time. Because I really do believe there'll be a fair few surprises. For instance, things like Simon Keogh, who has to have taken some of the most physical hits I've seen a young winger take in a long time last weekend, and yet hopped back up without a spot on him, could turn out to be another strong, fast, physical winger like shaggy. Or Kearney could start having a balls of a time, having peaked too soon, and never figure in an Irish set up again.

Digifriendly raises an interesting point with respect to our half backs - We don't really have a proven pair, and I think as O'Gara gets older we're gonna see more experimentation with not just the flyhalf position, but with the entire halfback pairing. No ones really stood up and claimed it yet, but it should be great to watch :D

edit: by the way, must say, great post, and a very interesting discussion topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Cave
    12. Fitzgerald
    11. Earls
    10. Sexton
    9. Willis
    8. Heaslip
    7. O'Brien
    6. Ferris
    5. Ryan
    4. POC
    3. Ryan
    2. Cronin
    1. Healy

16. Fogarty
    17. Court
    18. Toner
    19. Niall Ronan
    20. O'Leary
    21. Keatley
    22. Felix Jones/McFadden

Pretty much the same as I would have, of course a few younger players probably will have broken through by then like Ian McKinley and Jack McGrath.

McKinley will be a great player imo, great out half who is already in the Leinster Acadamy after just finishing school and has played for Leinster A too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Robert Kearney's younger brother (forgotten his first name) I have seen playing for Irish Under 20's and looks a real prospect for the future in the back line.

I have seen him as well hes a brilliant player and wouldn't be surprised if we see him break through next season.

I think that David Pollock will probably make the grade in the back row.

Sorry I did that list off the top of my head and completely forgot about Pollock! I would certainly have him in my predicted squad

Will POC still be going strong in 5 years? I definitely hope so for he's been our most consistent forward (along with David Wallace) since the beginning of the Millennium! My Ulster bias leads me towards Ryan Caldwell in second row but his discipline lets him down too often so really can't disagree with your selections as long as POC's body can take another 5 years of punishment!

Funnily enough I was under the impression POC was 27 upon further inspection it turns out hes 29 so I would probably put Ryan ahead of him

What about Tony Buckley in the front row? Also think that Jerry Flannery (injury excepting) could still be the man in the middle of the front row in 5 years time.

I think Buckley is 29 now I have my doubts if he'll be around but who knows really

themont85 wrote: »
    Pretty much the same as I would have, of course a few younger players probably will have broken through by then like Ian McKinley and Jack McGrath.

McKinley will be a great player imo, great out half who is already in the Leinster Acadamy after just finishing school and has played for Leinster A too.

Funnily enough I was actually giving serious thought to including those two but thought my post would lose credibility if I put two 18 years olds unproven in the magners league onto my predicted team but your right Jack McGrath and Ian McKinley are excellent prospects.

People who say we have no exciting prospects in outhalf and tight head should have a look at these two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Another guy whos running amuck in the AIL league and only 18/19? is Michael Keating, would offer a serious attacking threat from the bench perhaps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Funnily enough I was actually giving serious thought to including those two but thought my post would lose credibility if I put two 18 years olds unproven in the magners league onto my predicted team but your right Jack McGrath and Ian McKinley are excellent prospects.

People who say we have no exciting prospects in outhalf and tight head should have a look at these two!

Oh yeah to be fair there is an ambundance of talent from last year's schools in both Munster and Leinster. I said those two because they are seemingly 'weak' spots for Ireland and also they have both already played for Leinster A at 18:eek:. There's also loads of great young backs in the Acadamy like Ian Madigan,Gary Foley, Kearney's bro and a guy surely to be acadamy next year in Keating(who the above has already said).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Simon Keogh, who has to have taken some of the most physical hits I've seen a young winger take in a long time last weekend, and yet hopped back up without a spot on him, could turn out to be another strong, fast, physical winger like shaggy. .

If this is the lad who came from 'Quinns I'm pretty sure that he is about 30, I agree he's a good player but hardly one for the future.

Jaysus 29 - apologies SomeFool - thanks for calling me up on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Is Keogh 29? Thought he was only 27. Only lad from my old school who made it as a pro. :pac:

Making yeh feel old? :P Just had a look at the Leinster squad pages, and in particular date of birth - i'm young and it makes me feel old :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's amazing the drop off rate of players from u21s to full international level.

The Ireland U21 team to play England U21 on Friday, 5th March 2004 at 19.30hrs in Kingsholm, Gloucester RFC is as follows: 15. Andrew Finn (Dolphin) 14. Richard Lane (UCC) 13. John Hearty (Blackrock College) 12. Glen Telford (Dungannon) 11. Tommy Bowe (QUB) 10. Gareth Steenson (QUB) 9. Tomas O'Leary (Cork Constitution) 1. John Wickham (Clontarf) 2. Denis Fogarty (Cork Constitution) 3. Keith Doyle (UCD) 4. David Gannon (Blackrock College) - Capt 5. Shane O'Connor (Cork Constitution) 6. Kevin McLaughlin (UCD) 7. Oisin Hennessy (Dungannon) 8. Jamie Heaslip (DU) Replacements: 16 - Conor Geoghegan (UCD), 17 - Stephen Bennett (Bath) 18 - Neil McComb (Dundee HSFP), 19 - David O'Brien (Old Belvedere), 20 - Robbie Shaw (London Wasps), 21 - Michael Glancy (Loughborough University), 22 - Breffne O'Donnell (UL Bohemians)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

It's amazing the drop off rate of players from u21s to full international level.

The Ireland U21 team to play England U21 on Friday, 5th March 2004 at 19.30hrs in Kingsholm, Gloucester RFC is as follows: 15. Andrew Finn (Dolphin) 14. Richard Lane (UCC) 13. John Hearty (Blackrock College) 12. Glen Telford (Dungannon) 11. Tommy Bowe (QUB) 10. Gareth Steenson (QUB) 9. Tomas O'Leary (Cork Constitution) 1. John Wickham (Clontarf) 2. Denis Fogarty (Cork Constitution) 3. Keith Doyle (UCD) 4. David Gannon (Blackrock College) - Capt 5. Shane O'Connor (Cork Constitution) 6. Kevin McLaughlin (UCD) 7. Oisin Hennessy (Dungannon) 8. Jamie Heaslip (DU) Replacements: 16 - Conor Geoghegan (UCD), 17 - Stephen Bennett (Bath) 18 - Neil McComb (Dundee HSFP), 19 - David O'Brien (Old Belvedere), 20 - Robbie Shaw (London Wasps), 21 - Michael Glancy (Loughborough University), 22 - Breffne O'Donnell (UL Bohemians)

This makes salutary reading. As regards the Ulster players in starting XV only Tommy Bowe (Ospreys) and Gareth Steenson (Exeter Chiefs) still playing first class rugby. Am a Dungannon RFC supporter and AFAIK both Glen Telford and Oisin Hennessy are both finished playing at AIL level. Neil McComb is at Belfast Harlequins (AIL 2) and was in Ulster 'A' squad for recent game with Cardiff 'A' while Michael Glancy is playing with Rainey (AIL 3).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

John Hayes will probably still be around in 5 yrs time. He is just getting better and better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

There was a young guy by the name of McCarthy who played centre for one of the teams (PBC?) in the Munster Senior Schools Final last season. Think he got a try on the day. I thought he looked like a fantastic prospect. Can anyone offer more detail on this guy?

Yeah your man mccarthy played for the castletroy team that won the cup. Think i heard he was in the munster sub academy. He is definately one for the future, lightening pace and strenght.

Lomu wrote: »
    Yeah your man mccarthy played for the castletroy team that won the cup. Think i heard he was in the munster sub academy. He is definately one for the future, lightening pace and strenght.

Yes I remember him looked to be an excellent player.

Also his name escapes me but there is a black centre I think from Naas playing with the Leinster under 19s who looked brilliant when I watched him playing against Munster. Really looked the part.

• Advertisement

Yes I remember him looked to be an excellent player.

Also his name escapes me but there is a black centre I think from Naas playing with the Leinster under 19s who looked brilliant when I watched him playing against Munster. Really looked the part.

His name is nywata, playing for lansdowne. Ive played against him. Hes a good player but nothing special!

Lomu wrote: »
    His name is nywata, playing for lansdowne. Ive played against him. Hes a good player but nothing special!

Must of just been the game I saw, he scored 4 tries and was litreally opening the opposition up

Advertisement