Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting out of a fixed rate mortgage

Options
  • 04-12-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I have just over a year left to run on a 3 fixed rate mortgage (4.40%). Given that interest rates are down again (by.75% today) and likely to drop further again in the New Year would it be worth it to try and get out of the fixed rate and take the hit on the penalty the bank would charge for doing so? I'm gettin on to them in the morning about it but a heads up before hand would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

try doing the math and see what works out best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I have just over a year left to run on a 3 fixed rate mortgage (4.40%). Given that interest rates are down again (by.75% today) and likely to drop further again in the New Year would it be worth it to try and get out of the fixed rate and take the hit on the penalty the bank would charge for doing so? I'm gettin on to them in the morning about it but a heads up before hand would be great. Thanks!

they all use a mad formula for working it out. We just redeemed one for €55k (2 years into a 10-year fixed at 4.99%). Got caught for around a grand, which, I suppose, wasn't too bad.

Advertisement