Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Operation Free Flow

Options
  • 04-12-2008 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

Operation Free Flow, Lads, WTF?

Anyone else encounter the gaurds out in force and notice that the traffic was signifigantly WORSE?

They had blanchardstown road north completely chock-o-block! Only letting one side of the roundabout operate at a time, it was ridiculous, anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 00D911

Maybe rename it " Operation No Flow ", took me 90 mins to get from Leixlip to the Toll Bridge on the N4 Yesterday and not a Guard in sight !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

People hear "operation freeflow" on teh ray-jo and all of a sudden 50,000 dubs who normally wouldn't go near a suburban road between the hours of 3:30 and 7 decide it's a good time to do some Christmas binge shopping. The traffic would be considerably worse if there were no Gardaí over-riding lights etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Well no, I usually work from 8-6 or so and my commute has increased by 30 mins or so since they started. Its a joke. They seem very badly organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭captainosull

Great, the annual freeflow discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

My skin crawls with embarrassment as I see three or four cyclist line up neatly at the red light when they realise there's some fresh-faced garda recruit standing on the other side of the box.

For the love of God do what you normally do and just cycle through the red lights or on the foot paths, you're shaming yourselves by acting like you always obey the ROTR!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FOGOFUNK wrote: »
    Operation Free Flow, Lads, WTF?

Anyone else encounter the gaurds out in force and notice that the traffic was signifigantly WORSE?

They had blanchardstown road north completely chock-o-block! Only letting one side of the roundabout operate at a time, it was ridiculous, anyone else experience this?

Blanch is always worse at this time of year because of Gardai "assistance" :rolleyes:

Is yer one still standing outside the station at the T-junction doing nothing like she has every other year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

It's mostly a bit of PR on the part of garda management/the govt, to show they're 'doing something' about the traffic at xmas. The 'powers that be' send regular gardai out to many junctions where the traffic lights can cope just fine without any assistance.
    However, I believe that having extra gardai patrolling/keeping clear bus lanes, cycle lanes, etc is a good idea at this time of year.

We should really pity the gardai who are sent out to (cold!) busy junctions where they know themselves that they are not needed ...and that the traffic lights can regulate the traffic just fine without them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

ninty9er wrote: »
    People hear "operation freeflow" on teh ray-jo and all of a sudden 50,000 dubs who normally wouldn't go near a suburban road between the hours of 3:30 and 7 decide it's a good time to do some Christmas binge shopping. The traffic would be considerably worse if there were no Gardaí over-riding lights etc.

So are you saying that if they announced there was to be no 'operation go-slow' this year then things would be fine?

:D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i've been getting in about 10 mins quicker to work all week, one juntion is worse out of about 15-20. always makes traffic better for me when it comes in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I see three or four cyclist line up neatly at the red light ....For the love of God do what you normally do and just cycle through the red lights or on the foot paths
    By the same token, drivers have gotten quite shy of bombing through amber lights & I've never seen so many unobstructed box junctions & pedestrian crossings.

There's an unmarked Mondeo prowling around too, doling out advice and tickets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement