Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAS for downloads and streaming media

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

been looking into this myself. it'd be great to have the nas but anytime I'm just about to click the buy btn I think 'jesus, its a bit pricey... wouldn't a junker laptop be just as good if not better?' and have stopped short of it :/

anyway, subscribed to the thread - will be interesting to see the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

hmmm decided to go ahead and buy the QNap Turbo Station TS-209 II with two 1TB Spinpoints. Worked out at about €495. I'll post up results when I've got it set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

The QNAP is a great NAS. Should work great for you.

MediaTank wrote: »
    The QNAP is a great NAS. Should work great for you.

that's reassuring to hear as it shipped today ;)

Should have it setup by next weekend and will post initial thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

DamoKen wrote: »
    that's reassuring to hear as it shipped today ;)

Should have it setup by next weekend and will post initial thoughts

Built in iTunes and Twonky server which is great, and SMB and NFS,...

• Advertisement

yeah looking forward to seeing how well they work through xbmc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

DamoKen
    I've been looking for something like this. I assume it has arrived by now? Would you recommend it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

They look really good, pity I didn't see them before I bought my ICY box and 2x Sammy drives.
    The ICY box does not work with the Samsung drives...

Although it's working fine now with the new drives I have 2 samsung drives lying idle that would fit nicely into the QNAP.... Hmmm....

sorry guys, meant to comment on this ages ago but Christmas caught up with me! yeah it arrived ok, installed the two 1TB spinpoints with no problems, choose the JBOD config after rooting around on the net for the optimum setup. Main reason being it's just for media storage so don't need the security or waste of a mirrored RAID or the performance but less capacity of the striped RAID. One thing I found, very sparse documentation in that regard.

Anyways, got it recognised on the powerline network with no hassle at all, once it setup the disks I started copying over my collection. This was incredibly slow but I blame that on the powerline rather than qnap, experienced the same when ftp'ing from the pc onto a modified xbox. Using a cat5 or whatever I would imagine is a lot faster.

In terms of working with xbmc, I just set it up as an smb, picked up no problems and streams perfectly. Tried for the hell of it to set up the Twonky Server to see if I could connect off an xbox 360 I got for Christmas. Couldn't get the 360 to see it at first, but when I set the 360 clock to the current time it picked it up straight away.

Not really using that currently as prefer the xbmc dashboard on my modified xbox, a lot more powerful feature wise than the one that comes with the 360. Will probably modify it at some stage though to take advantage of the hdmi input and retire the old xbox to a bedroom. :)

One of the functions that I was most interested and concerned with though was the download station and have to say it has beaten all expectations. Doesn't have the options and stats etc you get with the likes of utorrent, fairly basic but it works very well. On a well seeded torrent I've averaged over 500KBs. The beauty of it is as it's so quiet with the tv on you don't even notice it, leave it on overnight and voila, massive file downloaded by morning with minimum electricity used!

Haven't used the ITunes service yet, or the usb input. Going to check out if it's possible to stick my music collection on a portable hard drive and transfer that way over the weekend.

In conclusion yeah it's expensive when you include the cost of the hard drives, but so far I've been more than happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

• Advertisement
Advertisement