Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 C5 HDI or 2005 407 1.6 HDI

Options
  • 04-12-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

which would you import from NI given that the 407 is €600 more to bring to the ROI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,458 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

whichever one you prefer the look of, to be fair. The Pug should be the easier of the 2 to sell on, although it's not really an easy car to sell. I'm not a fan of the huge front overhang the 407 has, but I don't like the look of the C5. Of those 2 I'd take the 407.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In my opinion the C5 is a very ugly design so pug for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,456 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

which would you import from NI

Neither! Surely a great deal could be had on either car down here?

I like both cars but if you're talking hydropneumatic suspension on the Citroen, I'd go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Whichever one you buy, be prepared to drive it to the ground as you will find it very difficult to trade or sell afterwards. This has been my experience of both cars. Having said that I enjoyed owning them but found that lots of mechanics hated working on them .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

As long as you go for something higher than the poverty spec (ie. alloys etc.) i would go for the 407. Should be easier sell on, and apparently the Hdi engine's are giving good miles per gallon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i would chose the peugeot. its a newr fresher design. its also the current model whereas there is a new c5 out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

unkel wrote:
    +1

I'd imagine that either of these could easily be sourced here at a decent price.
    unkel wrote: »
    if you're talking hydropneumatic suspension on the Citroen, I'd go for that.
    All of that model C5s have the hydropneumatic suspension which some people swear by. I'd imagine that 2005 would be the series 2 C5 which is considerably better looking than the original C5.

OP, the best thing to do is drive both of them and pay particular attention to the feel of the suspension. The Citroën should be the smoother but like all cars, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So drive both and make your mind up from there. While both cars are manufactured by PSA and share common parts such as engines, there are differences that only you can decide on based on your personal likes and dislikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Same engine in both but I'd go for the pug without a doubt. Lovely car imo, the 05 C5 is a pretty ugly car now they sorted this out this year. I had a new C5 out for a months rental earlier this year and I can only say good things about the car!!

But in your situation definitley the 407!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,247 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Both cars share the same chassis and engine afaik but whereas the C5 is very roomy the 407 is cramped in the rear and access to the boot is restrictive.

To be honest I would not buy either cars with the 1.6 HDi engine, I have that engine in my Focus and it is fine but in a bigger heavier car like the C5 and 407 it struggles. The 2.0 litre HDi in either car is a better choice and they cost little more than the 1.6 to buy while averaging similar mpg but superior torque for more comfortable overtaking.

Given the task of having to choose one I would go for the 407 because it is a fresher design, easier to sell on and more appealing to the eye than the C5.

407 2.0 Hdi for the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

unkel wrote: »

I like both cars but if you're talking hydropneumatic suspension on the Citroen, I'd go for that.

You do realise that because you are importing it you will fall under the new tax bands and pay A LOT less road tax than if you bought the same car here? Also with sterling so weak at present against the euro you are bound to get it cheaper in NI. This is fact, and explains a lot of the collapse in the 2nd hand market.

BTW for comfort it has to be the C5, but the 407 looks a lot better.

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »
    You do realise that because you are importing it you will fall under the new tax bands and pay A LOT less road tax than if you bought the same car here? Also with sterling so weak at present against the euro you are bound to get it cheaper in NI. This is fact, and explains a lot of the collapse in the 2nd hand market.

BTW for comfort it has to be the C5, but the 407 looks a lot better.

Incorrect, only cars registered from 2008 whether they be new or used, qualify for the new motor tax system.

Pre 2008 cars (imported or not) still are taxed under the old engine size motor tax system.

VRT is based on Co2 levels and cars are cheaper still on the UK mainland than in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

C5.

More comfortable.

Get a diesel 2.2 Auto if you can find one.

like this one

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C5/2.2-HDI-/200849191075947/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

bazz26 wrote: »
    Both cars share the same chassis and engine afaik but whereas the C5 is very roomy the 407 is cramped in the rear and access to the boot is restrictive.

To be honest I would not buy either cars with the 1.6 HDi engine, I have that engine in my Focus and it is fine but in a bigger heavier car like the C5 and 407 it struggles. The 2.0 litre HDi in either car is a better choice and they cost little more than the 1.6 to buy while averaging similar mpg but superior torque for more comfortable overtaking.

Given the task of having to choose one I would go for the 407 because it is a fresher design, easier to sell on and more appealing to the eye than the C5.

407 2.0 Hdi for the record.

You can get a 110Bhp 1.6Litre engine thats more than enough to move that body around as opposed to the normal 90Bhp thats available. My mum has one in her focus same year and its almost too lively for it...I must be getting old!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

110 bhp in a car the size of a C5 or a 407 would be *woefully* underpowered.

Even cars in this segment with around 125-130 bhp are best described as adequate. I would certainly not be recommending anything with less than that much power anyway.

So you really need the 2.0 HDi with a respectable 136 bhp.

The 1.6 HDi is a nice engine in a Volvo S40(WAY nicer than Ford's 1.8 TDCi or VAG's 1.9 TDI) for a diesel, but the S40 would be in the class below size wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

OP if you need to get a 1.6HDi for tax and insurance reasons I'd suggest getting a smaller car with the 110bhp engine. Also bear in mind if you really want the 407/C5 but find them gutless these engines can be remapped up by about 25%. Which I'd recommend on the larger car.

Farls wrote: »
    You can get a 110Bhp 1.6Litre engine thats more than enough to move that body around as opposed to the normal 90Bhp thats available. My mum has one in her focus same year and its almost too lively for it...I must be getting old!!! :eek:

I have the 110bhp version in my Focus too and it is fine, no rocket but it is just nice for the car on our roads.

Diesel engines are about torque more than bhp imo and the 2.0 litre HDI has superior torque and an extra gear compared to the 1.6 litre. In a car the size and weight of a C5 or 407 these are essential for moving the car comfortably. The 1.6 will do it but under more stress which can result in premature wear on the engine and poorer fuel economy imo.

Advertisement