Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good prices on Garmin from Elara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Thanks for that, was looking at their website only yesterday but hadn't heard of them before so was a bit wary. Has anyone used them, are they reliable? The satnav I'm looking at getting is out of stock till 11 Dec so need to know that if I do order it they'll definitely have it in by then as don't want to have to start looking afresh at that stage!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Personally I wouldn't buy from them again.Their customer service was a nightmare and they fob you off to the manafacturer.

www.handtec.com and www.satnaveasy.co.uk both have excellent prices on Garmins.
    Handtecs postage is a little steep to Ireland though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

I picked up a TomTom Classic UK/IRL in PC World during the week.

On special at €99.99. It's basically a re-badged V3 from what I can tell. Guaranteed latest maps.

Same unit is €180 in Argos and around the stg£100 mark online excluding P&P.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭stek

garmin nuvi 255 are 159.99 in pc world.. cheaper than this site when delivery is added..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Moonbeam wrote: »
    www.handtec.com and www.satnaveasy.co.uk both have excellent prices on Garmins.
    Handtecs postage is a little steep to Ireland though.

Just looking at satnaveasy.co.uk and they seem to have good deals on Garmins with the older "housing", for want of a better word.

Are the internals and mapping just updated on theses units?

Seems like good deals to be got for getting the older shape units.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Lumbarda wrote: »
    Thanks for that, was looking at their website only yesterday but hadn't heard of them before so was a bit wary. Has anyone used them, are they reliable? The satnav I'm looking at getting is out of stock till 11 Dec so need to know that if I do order it they'll definitely have it in by then as don't want to have to start looking afresh at that stage!

We have a commercial interaction section on this board.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1106

11 of the Nuvi 255 left physically in the warehouse under by bottom as I write this.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Thanks very much everyone for those replies and the advice, will look into it further.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't buy from them again.Their customer service was a nightmare and they fob you off to the manafacturer.
    I had some extra requests regarding a purchase I made and found their live online support extremely helpful. No probs here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Just looking at satnaveasy.co.uk and they seem to have good deals on Garmins with the older "housing", for want of a better word.

Are the internals and mapping just updated on theses units?

Seems like good deals to be got for getting the older shape units.

I was playing with one of them think it is a 350 and maps are the exact same as on my 760T,It was pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

sweetie wrote: »

Looks a bit dated. I'd say you would be better off paying a little extra for the Tomtom One Classic mentioned by fdevine for 100euro in pcworld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

the 'expert electrical group', couple around galway, had the garmin 250 uk ire and europe maps, for 120 on promotion last week reduced by €50 i do believe, worth a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭djb85

Not a Garmin but the best value Sat Nav Ive seen online

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭konline

djb85 wrote: »
    Not a Garmin but the best value Sat Nav Ive seen online

Link

It's really a bargain. Seems like it doesn't have Ireland maps. Does any one know if we can get Ireland maps for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

konline wrote: »
    It's really a bargain. Seems like it doesn't have Ireland maps. Does any one know if we can get Ireland maps for this?

I asked him about that and he says it comes with the Ireland maps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Just got a Nuvi 255w from halfords for 170 over the weekend
    1 euro more for a physical shop ain't bad as shipping is 10.89 :)
    I downloaded the 2009 euro maps for it also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭djb85

konline wrote: »

It does, I emailed the company and they confirmed it has ROI maps with a free 2009 map update also. Slightly cheaper V2 model here if you know someone in the UK. As far as I know the first link is V1. Not 100% sure about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

djb85 wrote: »
    It does, I emailed the company and they confirmed it has ROI maps with a free 2009 map update also. Slightly cheaper V2 model here if you know someone in the UK. As far as I know the first link is V1. Not 100% sure about this.

i think they use TeleAtlas maps? are these not supposed to be as good for Ireland or is that just a myth?

Advertisement