Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay for parking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It was advertised over a month ago. A cost cutting measure. It does make sense though, UCD probably paid a hefty sum for covering parking and its not like it will really thwart students. You can still park in UCD and walk down or get the shuttle if you dont want to pay or just cycle/ get the bus. Trinity students have always had to pay for parking afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

Why do we have to pay for parking? If the exams weren't on at the RDS then the parking spaces would be empty anyway. I'm sure UCD rent the exam halls so why the extra costs for students? It doesn't cost the RDS people anything to let cars park inside.... does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

pimpy_c wrote: »
    Why do we have to pay for parking?
    Why do you expect free parking? As is constantly said: driving is a privalge that we pay for. Including parking.
    If the exams weren't on at the RDS then the parking spaces would be empty anyway. I'm sure UCD rent the exam halls so why the extra costs for students? It doesn't cost the RDS people anything to let cars park inside.... does it?

If our exams weren't on there then something else would be. The RDS is constantly booked out. It's a way for the RDS to make extra money from the situation, so why not do it? You can always avoid the charge by not driving.
    Driver's have to pay for parking in most places they go, thankfully not in UCD yet. It's part of the expenses of being a motorist that you should be aware of before becoming one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Shazbot wrote:
    Why do you expect free parking?
    Because it's been free for the last umpteen years. And the whole poor student thing.
    I think I'm gonna spring for the €20 all access bad boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

You can still park in UCD and walk down or get the shuttle if you dont want to pay or just cycle/ get the bus.

The shuttle was cancelled too. I think its all pretty lame...

Does anyone know if we need to pay to park down in Blackrock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You dont have to pay at Blackrock however there are a few spots which are pay and display. They usually dont bother charging at the RDS in the end however I think the SU had a part to play in them waving the fee the last few years. I think I remember chasing the SU pres at the time around the RDS until I didnt have to pay :p

My only beef with the RDS is the ban on the SU giving out free coffee in order to get the students to pay for overpriced beverages at the exam hall. However seeing as I dont have exams anymore I dont care :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Just ****ing walk.

The bit of air will refresh you before the exams.

Or! Get to the exam hall in your spacey motor, pick up some fresh pastries and a coffee, full pack of smokes, legs up with the heater and the radio on and gently browse over the notes while remembering that there are plenty of freezing cold people in cold sweats and frozen snots trying to make their way from UCD and back home in the dark quing for a bus with another 500 people.. hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

FYI The SU are running a shuttle bus from the express bus stop, details on www.ucdsu.ie

As far as I know whatever contract UCD used to have with the RDS expired last year + was renegotiated. Costs had risen to rent the hall, so they couldn't afford to cover the parking too. We were pretty lucky until now, Trinity students had to pay for parking last year as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

In fairness, €20 for the whole exam period isn't that bad, esp as it's €5 per day. You'd pay much more in town. If you have a car and are planning on driving down, offer your mates a life and then suggest that you all share the parking cost.... That way it'd be much cheaper, and you'd save on travel costs. though just make sure you leave loads of extra time if you're driving down, especially during peak times, as traffic can be pretty manic around Balsbridge and the RDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Or: early drive to a DART station that has car parking, such as Malahide, Bray or Booterstown (all €2.00 per day) then get a DART to Sandymount.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr Minraise

This is another fcuking joke.

What the point of the SU when its situations like this they should do something, but instead they decide to sit around on their arse giving out free lollipops and mushy bananas.

Why should we have to pay for parking this year when we never had to in the past? UCD books parts of the RDS for over four weeks in the year, im sure they have other business with them as well. Could they not of tried to broker a deal?

Also Why should i have to walk when its cold and i have a car? Why should my fees be subsidising the ppl who cant afford to have a car, by gettting them a shuttle bus, but they wont pay for the parking. Im sure alot more ppl would benifit from free parking then a shuttle bus from UCD.

Why cant those ppl just walk, they're use to doing it, im not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

This is another fcuking joke [...] Why should i have to walk when its cold and i have a car? Why should my fees be subsidising the ppl who cant afford to have a car [...] Why cant those ppl just walk, they're use to doing it, im not.
    :rolleyes: Roysh...

Also Why should i have to walk when its cold and i have a car? Why should my fees be subsidising the ppl who cant afford to have a car, by gettting them a shuttle bus, but they wont pay for the parking. Im sure alot more ppl would benifit from free parking then a shuttle bus from UCD.

Why cant those ppl just walk, they're use to doing it, im not.

Oh dear god. Are you serious? As i stated before, driving is a privilege and not a right. You feel hard done by? If you can afford to buy and maintain a car then you can afford €20.

The shuttle bus has been discontinued. So your fees are not subsidising non-drivers. So either spend a bit of your hard earned cash or learn how to use those legs again.

Because one shuttle bus can carry a lot of people, yet occupies no parking space at the RDS? We can call driving a privilege because of the sheer amount of space a car takes up, on the road and in parking. If everyone drove their own cars, there would be no space for anything else. I can imagine you getting a discount on parking if you had 3+ people in the car, (car pooling), but I'm guessing that's not on your agenda, roysh?

According to an email from the Student Union, November 26:
    Shuttle Bus
    This year, the Students' Union has organised a bus service between UCD and the RDS to replace the cancelled service which was run by the University. The bus leaves every 20 minutes from 7:45am, from the express bus stop beside Glenomena. Please be aware that space on the buses will be limited, so make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get to the exam centre, particularly if this is your first set of exams in UCD.

— Kingsley Amis

Shazbot wrote: »
    Oh dear god. Are you serious? As i stated before, driving is a privilege and not a right. You feel hard done by? If you can afford to buy and maintain a car then you can afford €20.

The shuttle bus has been discontinued. So your fees are not subsidising non-drivers. So either spend a bit of your hard earned cash or learn how to use those legs again.
    dajaffa wrote: »
    FYI The SU are running a shuttle bus from the express bus stop, details on www.ucdsu.ie

Firstly, your logic is misapplied. Running a car is very expensive, therefore i have less €20 notes to be handing out. All you have to do is buy a new pair of dubarrys once a year, alot cheaper than NCT, petrol, valets etc.

Secondly, according to dajaffa, I am paying for you to get a bus. So whats your problem if i ask you to return the favour and pay for my parking. Getting buses is a privilege and not a right.

Lastly, you strike me as the type of guy who has a serious chip on his shoulder. You bitch about ppl with cars etc. yet i bet you'd be the first man to scab a lift off me if i drive by the bus stop.

Nedless to say, you'll never have shotgun in my car.

Firstly, your logic is misapplied. Running a car is very expensive, therefore i have less €20 notes to be handing out. All you have to do is buy a new pair of dubarrys once a year, alot cheaper than NCT, petrol, valets etc.

If you can't afford to run a car and pay the charges it entails, then get rid.
    You must be trolling are ya?

bnt wrote: »
    Because one shuttle bus can carry a lot of people, yet occupies no parking space at the RDS? We can call driving a privilege because of the sheer amount of space a car takes up, on the road and in parking. If everyone drove their own cars, there would be no space for anything else. I can imagine you getting a discount on parking if you had 3+ people in the car, (car pooling), but I'm guessing that's not on your agenda, roysh?

According to an email from the Student Union, November 26:

If your in UCD why cant you just walk to the RDS?

Sean_K wrote: »
    If you can't afford to run a car and pay the charges it entails, then get rid.

You must be trolling are ya?

Dont get me wrong, i can easily afford to pay for the parking. Its more the attitude of some ppl here thats irking me.

If your in UCD to avail of the free bus (which im subsidising), why cant you either walk to RDS or get the 46A. 2 very viable options.

I cant do either as im coming from the other end of the dualer.

I could avail of the shuttle if i drive past the RDS in the traffic, somehow manage to find a space in UCD, then que for a bus back to the RDS.

This would add extra hour to my journy time at least, all because you guys couldnt be arsed to do a 10 minute walk.

Therefore, I think the money would be better spent so ppl can park at the RDS for free so everyone can get to their exams with as littlee stress as possible.

If your in UCD to avail of the free bus (which im subsidising), why cant you either walk to RDS or get the 46A. 2 very viable options.

Your 20 quid goes to fund the parking services which the RDS provides. It is supervised parking. People need to be paid and so do expenses such as insurance.

• Advertisement

Sean_K wrote: »
    Your 20 quid goes to fund the parking services which the RDS provides. It is supervised parking. People need to be paid and so do expenses such as insurance.

I know, whats your point.

Why cant UCD pay for this (like they've always done) instead of wasting it on a pointless bus for ppl who cant walk 10 mins down a road.

If your in UCD why cant you just walk to the RDS?
    Is that question addressed to me? First of all, please look up how to use apostrophes. Secondly, I don't live at UCD, and I will be walking to the RDS (over 2 miles), just as I walk to UCD. A little exercise in the cold air will clear the head nicely, before I have to sit still in a warm hall for up to two hours.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Secondly, according to dajaffa, I am paying for you to get a bus. So whats your problem if i ask you to return the favour and pay for my parking. Getting buses is a privilege and not a right.

Lastly, you strike me as the type of guy who has a serious chip on his shoulder. You bitch about ppl with cars etc. yet i bet you'd be the first man to scab a lift off me if i drive by the bus stop.

Which would you prefer? Payed parking or cutbacks in our education?
    Why cant UCD pay for this (like they've always done) instead of wasting it on a pointless bus for ppl who cant walk 10 mins down a road.
    Because UCD is broke. All departments have to cut back. But the bus isn't being paid for by UCD, it's the SU who's financing it. UCD also got rid of the free bus they used to run so surely you're walking up the wrong road?

Sounds like you have the chip on your shoulder that the many get something free but the few don't. It's along the lines of the not in my back yard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

bnt wrote: »
    First of all, please look up how to use apostrophes.

You sound pathetic.

(I agree with the rest of your points)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Dont get me wrong, i can easily afford to pay for the parking. Its more the attitude of some ppl here thats irking me.

I could avail of the shuttle if i drive past the RDS in the traffic, somehow manage to find a space in UCD, then que for a bus back to the RDS.

This would add extra hour to my journy time at least, all because you guys couldnt be arsed to do a 10 minute walk.

Therefore, I think the money would be better spent so ppl can park at the RDS for free so everyone can get to their exams with as littlee stress as possible.

Heres something for you to think about. The student union organises the shuttle bus. The student union don't recieve money from UCDS hiring of the RDS

Then pay it and stop complaining.

There are many dual carriage ways in Dublin. You have to be more specific. Why can't you join your peers in a nice walk? If it's good enough for them then why not you?

You sound like the lazy one if you can't live without your car for 2 weeks

Cutbacks are running rife in UCD and you want to waste money on subsidising car parks for a minority of students. Think about what your rambling on about before spouting it of.

Oh, and I'm a motorist as well as cyclist so I'd never need to scab a lift of the likes of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

I know, whats your point.

The University aren't providing the bus, the student's union are

wonderworm wrote: »
    The University aren't providing the bus, the student's union are

Is there much difference? Why cant the SU pay for the carpark then.

My point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Students with cars are more likely to have more cash than those of us who don't drive... I don't have a car because there's no way I could afford one at the moment.

• Advertisement

Students with cars are more likely to have more cash than those of us who don't drive... I don't have a car because there's no way I could afford one at the moment.

Thats a bit of a silly generalisation. To be honest, with the cost of running a car, students with cars are more likely to have less money than those who dont. For example I do not drink because my usual student drinking fund is now my mature petrol and insurance fund. Just because a student has a car does not mean they have more disposable income than anyone else they just chose to spend it better.

I see students drink a weeks supply of petrol money in a night since I have been in college and I see the same students complain about not having enough money, the price of bus fair, protest and complain about college fees, the fact that UCD is trying to financially cripple students ect ect. If UCD does not have the facilities to house exams it cannot be expected that you must pay extra to do what would be free in UCD (park a car) seeing as your parking fees should be covered by your college fees and you are paying for the facilties by chosing UCD. If UCD is inadequate as a university and illsupplied to host exams to its students one cannot be expected to pay for private facilities a few miles away. Afterall we pay 4500 to UCD to study there, not to the RDS.

However I think 5 Euro is a reasonable ammount to pay so I dont entertain the fact that its not financially viable. I think there should be a fee for the shuttle bus if there is a fee for parking. Especially as the University is going through sever cutbacks. In my opinion, Peanalise Everyone Equally

Driving is not a privilage, its a result of hard work and different priorities and life choices to you. Driving is only a privilage to those who dont, just like Wintering in Aspen !

Advertisement