Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay for parking?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Grimes wrote: »
    . If UCD does not have the facilities to house exams it cannot be expected that you must pay extra to do what would be free in UCD (park a car) seeing as your parking fees should be covered by your college fees and you are paying for the facilties by chosing UCD. If UCD is inadequate as a university and illsupplied to host exams to its students one cannot be expected to pay for private facilities a few miles away. Afterall we pay 4500 to UCD to study there, not to the RDS.
    !

Well technically they do, you can park in UCD and get the Free shuttlebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Well technically they do, you can park in UCD and get the Free shuttlebus.

That is like a carbon footprint I cant even count!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Grimes, while I agree with most of your points about poor students who can't afford cars wasting money on drink etc., I can't agree that driving isn't a privilege - it is. I feel very privileged on freezing cold days when I can drive instead of walk or cycle (which I also do regularly).

With regards a fee for the shuttle bus: if there was one, people (other than Ross O'Carroll-Kelly who appears to now be posting on Boards) would be complaining that the Union isn't doing its job, and they'd be right. I was delighted to see the Union provide a bus, even if I won't be using it (I'll be on the Dart myself).

UCD is under no obligation to provide students with free parking on campus (although I'm quite happy it does) or at the exams. The RDS is well serviced by public transport. BUT to Ross: the shuttle bus is necessary, because people may well have to travel between Belfield and the RDS for different exams on the one day. It's NOT a 10 minute walk, nor does the 46a stop anywhere near the RDS as you seem to think. People on public (or in this case SU) transport should not have to subsidise your car, because travelling in your car is not an option for most people. This is the way the world works: the public don't subsidise your car in general, but your taxes subsidise public transport. Which is as it should be (once again, I'm speaking as a motorist, cyclist, pedestrian and public transport user here). Deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Grimes made a very good point, having a car doesnt make you rich.

Actually with the dramatic slump in petrol prices it is probably cheaper to put fuel in the car for a trip to UCD and back than it is to travel by two buses there and two buses back every day.

Grimes made a very good point, having a car doesnt make you rich.

Actually with the dramatic slump in petrol prices it is probably cheaper to put fuel in the car for a trip to UCD and back than it is to travel by two buses there and two buses back every day.

Oh I agree, that's why I have one. But that doesn't mean that in a time of cutbacks, the university should be subsidising parking for students, especially when it is not even funding a bus that can transport many more people than a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im confused about is this. In previous years there was little to no effort to count how many cars were entering and leaving the RDS in a given day. Does that mean that there was no charge to UCD for parking facilities in the RDS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Im confused about is this. In previous years there was little to no effort to count how many cars were entering and leaving the RDS in a given day. Does that mean that there was no charge to UCD for parking facilities in the RDS?

They would have paid a lump sum to cover it, one assumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Grimes wrote:
    Maybe you went to a different RDS?
    You drove in the gate, showed your student card and they gave you the same coloured tickets they're giving out now.
    I love the fact the car parks are as full as ever, the fees clearly didn't deter too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Thats a bit of a silly generalisation. To be honest, with the cost of running a car, students with cars are more likely to have less money than those who dont. For example I do not drink because my usual student drinking fund is now my mature petrol and insurance fund. Just because a student has a car does not mean they have more disposable income than anyone else they just chose to spend it better.

I see students drink a weeks supply of petrol money in a night since I have been in college and I see the same students complain about not having enough money, the price of bus fair, protest and complain about college fees, the fact that UCD is trying to financially cripple students ect ect. If UCD does not have the facilities to house exams it cannot be expected that you must pay extra to do what would be free in UCD (park a car) seeing as your parking fees should be covered by your college fees and you are paying for the facilties by chosing UCD. If UCD is inadequate as a university and illsupplied to host exams to its students one cannot be expected to pay for private facilities a few miles away. Afterall we pay 4500 to UCD to study there, not to the RDS.

However I think 5 Euro is a reasonable ammount to pay so I dont entertain the fact that its not financially viable. I think there should be a fee for the shuttle bus if there is a fee for parking. Especially as the University is going through sever cutbacks. In my opinion, Peanalise Everyone Equally

Driving is not a privilage, its a result of hard work and different priorities and life choices to you. Driving is only a privilage to those who dont, just like Wintering in Aspen !

everything you say here is true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Thats a bit of a silly generalisation. To be honest, with the cost of running a car, students with cars are more likely to have less money than those who dont. For example I do not drink because my usual student drinking fund is now my mature petrol and insurance fund. Just because a student has a car does not mean they have more disposable income than anyone else they just chose to spend it better.

I'd question the wisdom of sacrificing a social life for a car.

• Advertisement

Sean_K wrote: »
    I'd question the wisdom of equating a social life with drinking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

I love the fact the car parks are as full as ever, the fees clearly didn't deter too many.

I am sure that the UCD authorities have noted this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Sean_K wrote: »
    Breezer wrote: »
    I'd question the wisdom of equating a social life with drinking ;)

ooooh, Seak_K been SERVED! :P

Advertisement