Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting from Grenoble to Val Cenis.

• 04-12-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine, who is travelling with four children and her elderly mother, is flying into Grenoble, and then going skiing to Val Cenis. However, the timing of her flight means she has to overnight in Grenoble, and then travel the next day, and she reckons she is going to lose half a day's skiing both ways.

At the moment, she is looking at a tram across Grenoble to the train station, train to Chambrey, change to Modane, then bus to Val Cenis.

Does anyone have any suggestions to streamline her journey?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Rent a car. skip the over nite and drive direct to the resort. about a 3/4 hour drive i think. driving isnt that difficult till you get very high up. cost of the over nite and the train journey mite be more than renting the car for a week. other option is to contact the information desk in the area she is going to and ask if they have direct buses from grenoble. some hotels do and you mite be able to hitch on one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Thanks. I already suggested the car, but she is nervous of the drive in case she needs snow chains on icy roads. I'll try the hotels and see if that does any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Driving should be fine. roads will be well travelled and the french are particularly good at keeping them clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Enquire about an MPV taxi transfer, probably cheaper than overnighting, especially as people here are saying its just 45 mins away.

Is MPV a brand name? Personally, I'd say 45 minutes is a bit optimistic. It's a good 2-3 hours on the train, and that's just to Modane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

What I mean by MPV, is a taxi bigger than a regular car, one that can take the 2 adults plus 4 children, a 6/7 seater or minibus or something.
    As for the 45 mins, I have no idea where the resort is, just going by what somebody else posted.
    A google of the resort might help get some info on the cost of a private transfer.
    Still worth looking at the possibility, even if it was €200 each way, you're not missing the 1/2 day skiing either end of the week, and you're saving on the extra accommodation cost plus the cost of the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

www.thecoolbus.co.uk - I've booked these guys for going from Geneva to Les Arcs. They are cheaper than their French competitors I've found. We used another English company last year as well because the French companies were €200-300 more expensive for the round trip.

They list Grenoble as one of their airports but not Val Cenis as one of their resorts. They may go there if you ask nicely though :p

Well, I've sent them an e-mail. I phoned the tourist office in Grenoble, and they weren't a lot of help, so this might work.

They don't go up that valley, but recommended a crowd called www.exclusive-transfer.com who look the business. I'm very impressed that they provide child seats for all under 8 year olds.

Advertisement