Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A4 second hand value price crash

Options
  • 04-12-2008 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Was looking to change 06 A4 1.8T Sline (47k kms) in January for a new A4. The very few dealers that will actually give a quote are basically valuing it at about 15 -16 K. This is a shocking and drastic fall in value after two and a half years. Am I crazy to even think about changing it? Views appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Personally, I think you'd be mad to go ahead and change. I'm a big Audi fan, and as nice as the thought of getting a shiny new A4 in Jan is, I don't think you should. You already have a gorgeous car, with not a whole lot of miles on it.

IMO you should drive it for another 18-24 months, then see how the market is!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sell it private. You will get alot more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

All items you buy are either for use or speculation.

The market rule of "values may fall as well as rise" applies.

You may think the value is shocking, but it is the market value of your car to a dealer.

The questions are:

A) Can you afford to change at that price?
    If the answer is yes:
    B) Are you willing to change at that price?
    If the answer is still yes:

you don't need our input.

Personally I'd find nothing wrong with a 06 A4 requiring it to be changed, but if I could afford it, I probably would change my car now, not necessarily for a new one though as it's 01.

Do however, ring EVERY Audi dealer in the country, specifying EXACTLY, down to the tyre pressure monitor etc., what spec of of car you want and ask for a cost to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ninty9er wrote: »
    Do however, ring EVERY Audi dealer in the country, specifying EXACTLY, down to the tyre pressure monitor etc., what spec of of car you want and ask for a cost to change.

+1

This should be passed to all aspects in buying parts etc etc. I saved over €300 (on parts) by just ringing around a few dealers. It's going to be costly to change, and the fact that the new model is out adds more depriciation to yours. If you can afford to change, or give away your car for cheap, then do. If not, sit on it for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

sid3 wrote: »
    Am I crazy to even think about changing it? Views appreciated.

At that price, yes, you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Dealers are very reluctant to take relatively new trade-ins. The dealers that survive the current slump will hopefully be in a position to be more competitive this time next year. I doubt that another year's depreciation would cost you much. My sisters low mileage 07 Sportline Golf would appear to have more than halved in value according to her trade-in offers. She's going to hang on at least another year as she reckons that she's got nothing to lose. Given that rate of depreciation it'll soon stand her nothing :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The Audis have benefitted from a huge decrease due to the CO2 emissions, which knocks on to people trying to trade in. You're not alone - A BMW dealer told me he's not interested in someone looking to trade an 06/07 BMW versus an 09, because he'll insult the customer, and never shift the trade in. Same guy gave a customer €18.5 on a Jan 08 Passat TDi bought originally for €32K:eek:

There is a brand new unreg A4 1.9TDI in Blackwater motors for €32K, but she is the last model, not the new one. Still great value as you should get a good bit off that price too.

Advertisement