Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st year doing assignments

• 04-12-2008 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

Can anybody help?

My sister is 1st year arts in Maynooth.

She never handed any assignments up and she stopped going to lectures about a month ago.

Any way she can rectify all of this? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Go to the Academic Advisory office and give them a sob story about adjusting to student life.

Mention depression, and agree to go to counselling.

You can just walk into the the Academic Advisory Office, the are the *soundest* people. Helped me out no end. Totally on the side of hte students. Give them a lame excuse and they'll be like 'No no that won't do, we'll have to invent something far better than that!'

Awesome people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Contact the departments/Lecturers.

She might be able to hand them up before the end of the semester or possbily before the end of the year.

Although not handing up ANY assignments will not go down well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

How can she rectify this? She could start turning up possibly??

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    How can she rectify this? She could start turning up possibly??

Obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

If she can do the work and hand it up it'll show she's getting her act together which will impress her departments. Having said that, she might not get any marks for the work done as it's so late...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Focus on any upcoming exams and ask about any outstanding CA, there is always time to prepare for exams, especially in Arts

Need to know more about the modules

And tell her, if I see her out protesting fees.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

If she can do the work and hand it up it'll show she's getting her act together which will impress her departments. Having said that, she might not get any marks for the work done as it's so late...

Impress the departments?
    Not to sound pessimistic but really, college departments barely care about final year students let alone first year pupils, let alone some assignments that some first year student may or may not have done. It would surprise me if anyone really noticed. Sure it will affect your mark though........it's just another name on a spreadsheet.
    I think you will get marks for late work submitted especially in first year, i'd imagine at worst they'll cap your marks at 40%. So it's still worth doing, if not just for the marks, then for the the fact that doing the assignments will be the best way to revise for the exams..........also you'll learn stuff and might regain some interest in the subject.................also you won't feel so **** about wasting your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Has anyone asked her if she even wants to be in college? There's no point in her doing her degree unless she wants to. Maybe she's afraid of how your family will react if she drops out.

Talks for all the replies.

She wants to do another course in UCD. She obviously chose the wrong course on CAO.

The thing is whether she can rectify the mess she has made of this year or whether she should finish at Christmas and at least save half a years fees and then start her new course in UCD in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's 1st year arts.

forget the assignments, just do the exams, passing any 1st year arts exam -unless its programming or something that involved constant learning and understanding as opposed to cramming - is a breeze. Not even a breeze....a draft.

not trying to be condescending I'm doing arts myself. But thats genuinely how it is. First year results don't matter and she's easily pass, in fact she could get decent marks just by finding out any exam tips and cramming with preprepared essays.

That's if she wants to continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Enii wrote: »
    Talks for all the replies.

She wants to do another course in UCD. She obviously chose the wrong course on CAO.

The thing is whether she can rectify the mess she has made of this year or whether she should finish at Christmas and at least save half a years fees and then start her new course in UCD in 2009.

If thats really what she wants to do she should leave right now. If you leave before the end of the first semester she will only have to pay half a years fees next year as opposed to the full years fees if she stays on for the whole year in Gaynooth!

On the other hand there's always the fact that if she stays on does a bit of work she might change her mind and decide that the course is for her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

It's 1st year arts.

forget the assignments, just do the exams, passing any 1st year arts exam -unless its programming or something that involved constant learning and understanding as opposed to cramming - is a breeze. Not even a breeze....a draft.

Think this depends a bit on the subjects involved, like maths studies now involves compuslory attendence to tutorials and you must get a certain level in your CA to pass. I believe that applies to most courses.
    Many departments though will accept late assignments etc especially if you go throught the academic advisory office/trouble settling into college route.
    Having said that though with a couple weeks hard work you should pass your first year arts exam no problem. You may not get a first but a pass shouldn't be too hard.

In relation to quiting, I dropped out of an MA last year, I needed to de-register by the end of jan in order to get my second semester fees back. This means that it might be worth while to sit the exams, see how they go and you still have time to de-register afterwards if they go very badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

forget the assignments, just do the exams

I believe you can be automatically failed if you get less than 25% in continuous assessment or the end of year exam due to extreme weakness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Think this depends a bit on the subjects involved, like maths studies now involves compuslory attendence to tutorials and you must get a certain level in your CA to pass. I believe that applies to most courses.

Attendance isn't compulsory and you don't have to get a certain mark in your CA to pass in maths studies. Otherwise half my students would be failing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

mp3guy wrote: »
    I believe you can be automatically failed if you get less than 25% in continuous assessment or the end of year exam due to extreme weakness.

Not a chance, I never got over 25% in any continous I'd imagine, in fact in final year I got 7% in one module, I'd say it's the same for an awfull lot of people, they couldn't fail them all.

I guess she needs to question whether she likes what she's doing.I was the same and in first year I pretty much knew I didn't have real interest in the subject but then I realised that if I dropped out I'd never bother coming back and I was pretty confident I'd end up with some degree.The main thing was that it was only 3 years, 4 and I wouldn't have made it. It's probably worth the pain, just about, I mean a job is only going to be more painfull.

As far as choosing a different course, I knew that it was my own attitude that was the problem and that it was illogical to change subject just because I was too lazy to engage it, how could i be sure i wouldn't just continue in the same vein.Better the devil you know I thought.However I was trapped for the simple reason that I never read, so I had no intellectual interests, I guess if you enjoy reading or folowing a particular subject generally in your spare time then thats definitely what you should be learning.It's not actually that difficult a decision when you consider all the factors, including financial.

God i'd love to say that in a job interview.

Advertisement