Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop wont connect to wireless network

Options
  • 04-12-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

Hopefully someone here can help me.

I have a wireless nestwork at home. There is a PC and a laptop connected to it. The laptop recently went to be repaired ( one of the buttons was broken ) now that I have it back I can't seem to get it connected to the wireless network. The PC connects up ok.

I dont know much about computers but I tried to go through what I remember being shown by the person who set up the network. ( He's not available to help, unfortunately).

The laptop can detect the network but it tells me it "has limited, or no connectivity". I've run through the self help functions, but with little success.
    One of them told me to connect to the network using a cable which I did. I get a message saying "the problem has been resolved" and I can connect to the net, but when I remove the cable it disconnects from the net :(

I was told that there might be a problem with the WEP KEY.
    I have the WEP KEY written down, but I cant find where to enter it.

From the litle that I know, the laptop can detect the network, it just wont connect to it.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm the "tech guy" at home. A status bestowed upon me simpley because I can tune in a television signal :) , so its getting annoying being asked constantly...."Have you fixed it yet ?"

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

The limited connectivity means that you are not getting an IP address from DHCP. Is there any possiblity this guy turned off DHCP and set a static IP for you.? - If so you are going to have to statically assign an address in the router's wireless interface's range or else re enable DHCP. You can log onto the router when connected to it with a network cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

You need the correct key to connect.. its been wiped form the laprips memory since the repair....Using a cable to connect to router or use the pc that is connected log in to the routers ip address and look up what the key is ..(Change to wpa psk for ease of use and extra security)..if eircom 192.168.1.254 or if other possibly 192.168.1.1..... Can help ypu find out if not these..post back

Advertisement