Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark Times Ahead?

• 04-12-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭

It really looks like F1 is feeling the crunch of the whole finance thing, for me anyway, its looking like a very very very dark time ahead for F1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Certainly, with Honda going, I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Toyota won't be sticking around for much longer either. If Torro Rosso proves unsellable, I can't see Mateschitz wanting to hold onto two teams, and would expect to see - at best - both Red Bull teams amalgamated. Renault have a history of dramatically pulling out of F1 (1985 and 1997), so I wouldn't hold out much hope of them sticking around if things get too tough. Frank Williams and Patrick Head aren't getting any younger, and their team doesn't seem to be making any progress. As the sole remaining independent F1 team, I wouldn't hold out much hope for its future.

Which - in an absolute worst case scenario - leaves us with just Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Red Bull and Force India in future seasons.

And let's not forget the dwindling number of countries prepared to host Grands Prix. Canada - gone. USA - gone. France - gone. Germany - doubtful. China - doubtful. UK - highly doubtful. Unless Bernie Ecclestone retires/dies very soon, his short sighted determination to make quick money from Asian and Middle Eastern markets will be at the expense of the sport's core support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

It's less than a decade ago that the grid was filled with privateers - Jordan, Prost, Benetton, BAR, Sauber, Tyrrell, Minardi, Arrows. We've had a manufacturer dominated phase, and manufacturers have been notorious for pulling out in the past. And just as happened in the past, the privateers will come back. Formula 1 is going through some changes but it will survive.

Honda's team is up for sale and it will probably find a buyer and live on. Just like almost all of the above mentioned teams live on under their new owners today.

F1 is in the middle of a raft of cost cutting measures and I think it will open back up to privateers a lot more in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Not a great outlook for the short term future thats for sure. This is the problem of having so many manufacturer teams and the fans have been saying it for years. As soon as things get tough they'll pull out. A privateer team run by real racing people will stay there til they're pretty much bankrupt. The manufacturer teams have pushed the budgets up so much that it became impossible for privateer teams to be competitive. While things are certainly looking bleak for the next little while i'm sure F1 will recover and budgets will find a more sensible level

Advertisement