Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Right Lane Hoggers

Options
  • 04-12-2008 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

We all know that these drivers are the greatest annoyance to forumites on here, but the question is how do you deal with it?

What do you do when a **** is in the right hand lane infornt of you? 252 votes

Flash them!
    0% 0 votes
    Undertake them!
    34% 88 votes
    Sit behind them and suffer!
    55% 139 votes
    Anything else...
    9% 25 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hasn't this been done already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Random wrote: »
    Hasn't this been done already?

Yeah to death, but I dont think there is a poll on how people deal with it, just its accepted that it happens all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I usually just sit behind them and suffer.....but the odd time i might flash them or on a very rare occasion, undertake them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Sit behind or understake.

Never flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

If I can, ill undertake them.

Then as I pass alongside them ill give them a look that will strike fear to their very hearts!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

suffer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

<stir>
    I tend to drive a few feet behind them and sit on the horn whilst flashing them. If that doesn't move them then I try a gentle nudge!
    Works every time!
    </stir>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I leave the indicator on for about 20 seconds and if that doesn't work I flash and if that doesn't work if entirely necessary (i.e if I'm having a bad traffic day) I do the above and beep too.

Had an all of the above day behind a TT on the M4 in August, he pulled out while I was coming up on a car hogging and wedged himself between us. I flashed and beeped him, but he didn't pass the message on to the guy in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I thought it's bad practice to undertake is it not? I hate seeing people do it... (before anyone points the finger at me hogging the right hand lane i do not!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

forumites?

wha?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

id stick it for awhile but after a few minutes if they still havnt pulled over they will get a good dose of the full lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Flash em first,then stare em down down in the rear viewer mirror,gesticulate wildly to the left, undertake em, maintain speed alongside with middle finger to the window,increase speed and rejoin outside lane while indicating left and near on swiping their nose off.
    THEN jam on the brakes and cry "COMPO":D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

forumite - 1 definition - A regular at any given Internet message-board system, or "forum"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

forumite - 1 definition - A regular at any given Internet message-board system, or "forum"

not at THIS one ..what a crap word

anyhow ..lane hoggers...

any such driver that manages to block my slowcoach van or my even slower campervan deserves to be at the receiving end of the full lightshow (with sound)

(neither of these machines can do the motorway speed limit for longer than 5 minutes :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I have to say, these right lane hoggers are becoming a dying breed, thankfully. I see a lot less of of it that I used to. I usually put the indicator on for 10 or so seconds, followed by a quick flash of the beams, followed by a more vigorous flash. If all that fails I undertake as a last resort. I would say that 95% of drivers move out of the way without any 'encouragement'. What really bugs me is the ones that move out of the way as I approach and then move back to the right lane after I pass and move left, despite the fact that both lanes are clear :confused:

EDIT: A two hour stint on the German Autobahnen would be enough to educate these right lane hoggers. You'll move out of the way (fairly lively) when you see the lights of a car flash you as it approaches at 200+km/h!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Ram the F**kers..............sorry I wish I could!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,465 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote: »
    I have to say, these right lane hoggers are becoming a dying breed, thankfully. I see a lot less of of it that I used to.

I hope you're right. I haven't really seen any improvement myself lately :(

I gently flash first, then flash more aggressively. I never tailgate, just undertake as a last resort. Most of the indicating / flashing is a waste of time as the typical lane hogger is so ignorant / incompetent that they don't even know you are there and they don't even know they're only supposed to be in the overtaking lane for overtaking

Only in this country though. I have never felt the need to illegally undertake a lane hogger in any other country in my 22 years of driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I had the great experience of seeing a Garda pull over a lane hogger today. I was stuck behind a guy in the port tunnel this morning on my way to work. He was travelling close to the speed limit, but driving parallel to a HGV and not allowing any traffic to pass him.

I was the second car behind the van. As I got close to the end of the tunnel I saw a police jeep in my rear view mirror. I pulled over to let him pass. The car and the van in front did not.

When I got to the toll plaza I opened my window and asked the garda to arrest the driver of the van. He smiled and responded "Its already in hand". Just after the plaza he turned on the blue lights and pulled over the van. It made me smile for a couple of hours! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

randomer wrote: »
    I had the great experience of seeing a Garda pull over a lane hogger today. I was stuck behind a guy in the port tunnel this morning on my way to work. He was travelling close to the speed limit, but driving parallel to a HGV and not allowing any traffic to pass him.

I was the second car behind the van. As I got close to the end of the tunnel I saw a police jeep in my rear view mirror. I pulled over to let him pass. The car and the van in front did not.

When I got to the toll plaza I opened my window and asked the garda to arrest the driver of the van. He smiled and responded "Its already in hand". Just after the plaza he turned on the blue lights and pulled over the van. It made me smile for a couple of hours! :D

Noice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

unkel wrote: »
    Only in this country though. I have never felt the need to illegally undertake a lane hogger in any other country in my 22 years of driving

I never felt the need to do it illegally in the US, because it's legal over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Ram the F**kers..............sorry I wish I could!:D

I heard the government are drafting legislation that if you are driving a hummer you are entitled to ram them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

randomer wrote: »

Baby Jesus just shed a tear of joy:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,465 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Zube wrote: »
    I never felt the need to do it illegally in the US, because it's legal over there.

I've legally undertaken ("keep your lane") in the US and that's the sole reason why I added the word "illegally" to my post ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I was on the M1 the other night, a car full of young lads sitting in the right-hand lane doing 100km/hr in 120km/hr zone. I move out behind them to overtake, sit behind them for a minute or whatever, they don't move into the empty left-hand lane so I give them a flash. They don't move, I give them another couple of flashes, they eventually move very slowly (ie stradling the 2 lanes for while) and then I move back into the left lane when I've overtaken them, out of the over-taking lane and they flash me loads and then leave their full beams on for a good minute.

If I was sitting in the outside lane and someone had to flash me to overtake I'd be embarassed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

unkel wrote: »

I concur, emphatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Bring on the death penalty for them I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BDW

I find High revs work wonders, it's not fuel efficent but it's effective.
    You don't have to be speeding or accelerating dangerously but the sound of the engine near the limiter usually gets people out of the way.

as far as I know it's not illegal to use the full band of your rev meter as long as your not speeding/dangerously accellerating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

tywy wrote: »
    ... and then I move back into the left lane when I've overtaken them, out of the over-taking lane and they flash me loads and then leave their full beams on for a good minute.

You should have pressed the button on your dash that drops all the puncture stars from your back bumper, bye bye lads!

I just sit behind a lane hogger until they eventually move over, which most of the time they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Undertaking is illegal in Ireland. You may not overtake on the left unless you are in heavy traffic and the traffic in the right hand lane is moving at a slower pace than that in the right.

If the speed limit for the road I am on is 100km/h and I am in the right hand lane overtaking a string of cars and someone comes up behind me in the right hand lane and flashes / beeps etc then I will not budge! If you need to overtake me then it means that you are exceeding the speed limit...if you were matching my speed or doing less than me then you would never end up passing me.

My rule of thumb, if you flash at me for any reason other than to let me know there is something up ahead then I will ignore you. Luckily it has been a long time since anyway flashed me while in the right hand lane..

As for people who do not know how to indicate or who do not bother!!!!! Well that needs another thread......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

kingtut wrote: »

If the speed limit for the road I am on is 100km/h and I am in the right hand lane overtaking a string of cars and someone comes up behind me in the right hand lane and flashes / beeps etc then I will not budge! If you need to overtake me then it means that you are exceeding the speed limit...if you were matching my speed or doing less than me then you would never end up passing me.

Its not your job to police the roads though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement