Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Right Lane Hoggers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

balon wrote: »
    Anyway, where does the law sit on this if you happen to undertake this line of cars while maintaining whatever speed you are doing in the left lane? Is it still considered dangerous overtaking? In my view the hoggers are more in the wrong....
    If the line of cars on the right is 'slow moving', then you're ok. The definition of 'slow moving' depends on the mood of the cop who sees you, as far as i can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I undertake. Break out the tar and feathers.

Have done it myself on more than one occassion, quite happy to undertake when safe to do so and leave the annoying twat in the overtaking lane in a pool of their own righteous indignation while i get on my merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Me too. If they refuse to move over within a reasonable period of time, then there's no realistic alternative other than to stay where you are and just add to the problem. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It should really be an offence to occupy the outside lane whilst not overtaking slower cars.. UK or European police forces don't tolerate it, why do the Gardai?

2 Points for driving without due care and consideration for other road users!

And update our antiquated driving test to include dual-carraigeway and motorway driving before people loose there lives performing dangerous undertaking or tailgating manuovers..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't.

Just too dangerous. Someone that oblivious is likely to do anything when/while you undertake them. Just don't fancy crashing at 100 km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If I can't overtake due to some kumquat in the overtaking lane, I'll get back into the driving lane and simmer. BTW, what's the general feeling on undertaking from two lanes over. Is it against the law if, for example, on the M50 if someone is in the right-most lane and you undertake from the leftmost with a lane between you?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

OK, I know this has been discussed to death many times but here goes again..

The RSA Rules of the Road state (page 123) 'Overtake only on the right, unless traffic is travelling in slow moving queues and the traffic queue on your right is travelling more slowly than you are'

Now it might depend on one's definition of 'slow moving', but technically if the traffic in the overtaking lane is doing any speed under the speed limit then it is 'slow moving'. Therefore traffic in the driving lane, provided it isn't breaking the speed limit, should be entitled to undertake legally.

That's my theory anyway.

OK, I know this has been discussed to death many times but here goes again..

The RSA Rules of the Road state (page 123) 'Overtake only on the right, unless traffic is travelling in slow moving queues and the traffic queue on your right is travelling more slowly than you are'

Now it might depend on one's definition of 'slow moving', but technically if the traffic in the overtaking lane is doing any speed under the speed limit then it is 'slow moving'. Therefore traffic in the driving lane, provided it isn't breaking the speed limit, should be entitled to undertake legally.

That's my theory anyway.

There is a difference between "slow moving" and "moving more slowly" ...your theory is pants, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite by doing this, but;

Generally when I'm doing a run to the Airport I'll hog the overtaking lane as I'm generally doing 120-130 and am overtaking progressively the people I regard as slow drivers.

I do however see cars coming up behind me and pull in behind a slower moving car to let that car pass and will move out to continue overtaking almost every other car on the road.

Needless to say when traffic is slack I don't hog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

ninty9er wrote: »
    I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite by doing this, but;

Generally when I'm doing a run to the Airport I'll hog the overtaking lane as I'm generally doing 120-130 and am overtaking progressively the people I regard as slow drivers.

I do however see cars coming up behind me and pull in behind a slower moving car to let that car pass and will move out to continue overtaking almost every other car on the road.

Needless to say when traffic is slack I don't hog.

I'm not proud of it, but i do the very same thing sometimes on long journeys. I do make sure i dont hold anyone behind me up - if a car comes up behind me i always move over to let him by.....

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    There is a difference between "slow moving" and "moving more slowly" ...your theory is pants, imo

No I don't think so. If there is a line of traffic in the overtaking lane doing less than the speed limit and you have the inside lane to yourself, I cannot see that by undertaking within the speed limit you are breaking the law according to the above ROTR.

Granted this wouldn't apply if it is a single vehicle hogging the outside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Does anyone (else) distinguish between these two scenarios
    1) driving in lane 2, pullin to lane 1 to pass slow car in lane 2, then pull back into lane 2
    and
    2) continue driving in lane 1 and happen to pass a slower car in lane 2 and then continue in lane 1

I always used to think that "undertaking" was 1) and not 2). Otherwise the entire road is at the mercy of the slow car in the outer lane.

No I don't think so. If there is a line of traffic in the overtaking lane doing less than the speed limit and you have the inside lane to yourself, I cannot see that by undertaking within the speed limit you are breaking the law according to the above ROTR.

Granted this wouldn't apply if it is a single vehicle hogging the outside lane.

The movement of your car, as it pirouettes towards that bridge post, after being nudged by one of those "slow moving" cars whose driver wasn't paying attention and pulled into your lane at 118 km/h ...that movement, it won't be slow. It'll be lightning quick and you'll be dead before you can say "oh ****"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

:pac:Mate of mine had a bottle of brake fluid in his drivers door and anyone that annoyed him on the road he would simply pull up beside them roll down window and give the bottle an auld squueze! needles to say he got his got his tension out on these type of people. Not condoning it btw

pipsqueak wrote: »
    :pac:Mate of mine had a bottle of brake fluid in his drivers door and anyone that annoyed him on the road he would simply pull up beside them roll down window and give the bottle an auld squueze! needles to say he got his got his tension out on these type of people. Not condoning it btw

I think youve made that up in an attempt to be cool.:rolleyes:
    It makes no sense. His/Your own car would be destroyed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

pipsqueak wrote: »

Theres the solution!!

I should add it to the poll...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 prentice

Zube wrote: »
    I never felt the need to do it illegally in the US, because it's legal over there.

You may overtake on the left when
    You want to go straight ahead when the driver in front of you has moved out and signalled that they intend to turn right.
    You have signalled that you intend to turn left.
    Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane.

not sure its illegal. depends i suppose.

GreeBo wrote: »

he drove a 97 seat inca and didnt give a hoot about it, and having a bottle a brake fluid in the car is not beyond the realm of imagination!!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I think it was meant tongue in cheek...

I think it was meant tongue in cheek...

nope!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Your mate sounds like a right scumbag...

"Boohoo, I'm not getting my own way on the roads so I'm going to vandalise someone elses' paintwork"

Just the type of responsible person I want to share the road with...
    :rolleyes:

The movement of your car, as it pirouettes towards that bridge post, after being nudged by one of those "slow moving" cars whose driver wasn't paying attention and pulled into your lane at 118 km/h ...that movement, it won't be slow. It'll be lightning quick and you'll be dead before you can say "oh ****"

That's a side argument. My point is that undertaking is legally permitted according to the ROTR in the scenario I described of a line of traffic doing under the speed limit in the overtaking line and the inside lane empty - one that often occurs in everyday driving.

Which isn't saying I condone (or practice) undertaking.

My point is that undertaking is legally permitted according to the ROTR in the scenario I described of a line of traffic doing under the speed limit in the overtaking line and the inside lane empty - one that often occurs in everyday driving.
    Again, under the speed limit != slow moving.
    The ROTR state "slow moving" NOT under the speed limit.
    119 is under the speed limit on a motorway and is not slow moving. Do you think this would be a legal scenario to overtake on the left?

Again, under the speed limit != slow moving.
    The ROTR state "slow moving" NOT under the speed limit.
    119 is under the speed limit on a motorway and is not slow moving. Do you think this would be a legal scenario to overtake on the left?

I have to agree. To me, overtaking in the left lane on a DC/mway is illegal.

I'll undertake after giving offending drivers (ie. those at or below the limit who are very obviously not overtaking anything since there is nothing on the inside lane for at least 200m) time enough to get out of the way, and a clear signal that I wish to pass them ( N/S indicator on, quick flash of the lights a minute later)...having usually just come out of the left lane , I will then indicate back into the left hand lane, put on my hazards and undertake them...breaking the limit if I feel it'd be safer to get past them rather than sitting in their blindspot for too long.
    It's amazing how many hoggers will completely ignore your indications and flashing headlights, but yet the minute you manage to get past them, will start flashing at you...

That's a side argument.

Well ...maybe throwing a few well chosen excerpts from the statute book will make that big concrete pillar go away in time before you hit it and it kills you :rolleyes:

Use your head ...don't argue the law.

I don't.
    OK then, what do you do?

Well ...may throwing a few well chosen excerpts from the statute book will make that big concrete pillar go away in time before you hit it and it kills you :rolleyes:
    That can happen just as easily if you're overtaking them on the right hand side as on the left I'd say.

Alun wrote: »
    OK then, what do you do?

I go through the light show with added horn ...if that doesn't help, I just sit back in the left lane and wait. I'm not risking my life.
    Alun wrote: »
    That can happen just as easily if you're overtaking them on the right hand side as on the left I'd say.

No, I think the likelyhood of it happening to you while undertaking is much higher.

The person that you are undertaking has already proven that they don't know how to drive ...therefore the risk of them suddenly coming back into your lane without looking/knowing/caring what's going on has to be deemed much higher than if they are in the correct lane to start with

...the scenario ...of a line of traffic doing under the speed limit in the overtaking line and the inside lane empty - one that often occurs in everyday driving.

The reason why it occurs often is that a large percentage of Irish drivers doesn't have the first clue about how to drive on a motorway.

This scenario simply does NOT happen in other countries.

• Advertisement

No, I think the likelyhood of it happening to you while undertaking is much higher.

The person that you are undertaking has already proven that they don't know how to drive ...therefore the risk of them suddenly coming back into your lane without looking/knowing/caring what's going on has to be deemed much higher than if they are in the correct lane to start with

You're a lot longer on the roads than I am peasant but I have to say I've had more...many more...people cut me up whilst pulling out of the inside lane to overtake, than I've had people cutting back into the inside lane. It's as liable to happen in either lane IMO...but I hear what you're saying, that even the lowest standard of driver is at least likely to check their right wing mirror/blindspot before they'll check their left...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement