Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Right Lane Hoggers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

oddone wrote: »
    I think you're right too but what do you do when you inevitably find yourself behind a bus / arctic or car driver who's incapable of driving over 55mph in lane one?.

If you think that trucks & busses in this country stick to the 55mph restricted limit then I don't think you spend much time driving on Irish roads :D. I have been overtaken (whilst driving at 100kph) by trucks on the N7.
    If lane two is busy as it invariably is with hoggers, will you wait and overtake correctly and move back into lane one?.

Yep, or slow down to 80kph (or whatever) until I can overtake.
    And if you are moving along nicely at 100kph with your cruise control
    on and you find you are catching up to a middle lane hogger who is happy
    enough plodding along at 80kph will you simply remain in lane one and essentially undertake him/her by sailing past in lane one as if the wasnt there.

Yep. I just stay in lane one. Like I have said, I know this isn't the "right" thing to do but in my experience it is the safest and less stressful.

I think another poster warned about the danger of undertaking if the middle lane hogger changes into lane 1 with no warning. This is possible of course but again in my experience these drivers do not move from lane 2 until they leave the road at their junction.

On more occasions than I'd like to count I have been driving in lane 1 and move into lane 2 when I can see a lot of cars entering the N7 from an on ramp, only to be forced into lane 3 by some moron who joins the N7 and swerves directly into lane 2. There's just no changing the mindset of these drivers, they seem to think that lane 2 is "their" lane.

As with so many other situations that a lot of drivers in this country struggle with (correct roundabout use etc) all you can do is have you wits about you and be ready to avoid a collision by driving defensively (sp?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

kbannon wrote: »
    Having driven on the M50 and N7 over the years, the fastest lane is more too often lane 1 because people like yourself are sitting in lane 2.
    Lane 1 is not crammed with busses and artics!

so true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I meant to comment on this last week when i saw it first.
    I have learnt to suffer the right lane hogger after being nearly ran me off the road because i flashed at him. I was starting to over take a truck on the M7 doing 100/110KPH once the two of us passed the truck i expected him to pull in since i was behind him, nope, so i flashed him he stuck up the finger and i flashed again and waved my hand over to say inside lane please he slammed on his brakes. So i beeped and we sped up again. I was a good bit off his tail. so i said ok ill get into the inside lane and continue at my speed rather then staying behind him.

When he saw this he slowed down so i started to undertake him as i maintained my 120KPH. Then when i was just coming up to the rear of his car he decided he wasn't allowing this and changed lanes so i was nearly in his boot with his golf clubs!

Ever since this i will generally sit and suffer.
    Last night i was driving on the M7 returning to dublin i was behind a 97 almera all the way up to dublin not once did he change lanes! There was plenty of time to and he/she held up a savage amount of cars.

Rant off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

It's common practice now for Traffic Corps to pull over lane hoggers while they use the dual carriageways between checkpoints and speed checks. If you're caught, its 2 points for failing to yield and 80 euros.

Ouch.....

The law is keep left unless overtaking. If you've got a good distance before the next car, let someone else pass you if needs be. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

keefg wrote: »
    I think another poster warned about the danger of undertaking if the middle lane hogger changes into lane 1 with no warning. This is possible of course but again in my experience these drivers do not move from lane 2 until they leave the road at their junction.

The general consenus of some posters here seems to be that Irish drivers will invariably change lanes to their right without so much as a glance in their mirrors because we're all somehow completely conditioned not to expect anyone to be on our inside. If this was the case, the middle lane of the N7 would be littered with collisions between cars who have moved into lane 2 to overtake those in lane one and people who moved from lane 3 to lane 2 without looking.

I've yet to see one such instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Always undertake now. Spent too many years flashing lights are people & stressing myself. Best to get stay on inside lane as much as possible not to make it too obvious for the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

ninty9er wrote: »
    If you knew your ROTR you'd know the legal speed limit for arctics and busses differs from the limit for cars.

I'm a "Middle Lane Moron" and will make no apology for it. I consider lane 1 to be for slow moving traffic, which on that stretch of road, it generally is.

that's a nice piece of selective quoting you've done there.

I know my rotr quite well thank you and am fully aware of the varying speed limits, however in the sentence above my point was to do with driving in lane one and being unable to overtake slower moving traffic due to middle lane hoggers (like yourself), nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I was a white VAN driver for 5 years and felt under pressure from work to get the work done ASAP. I am sorry to say I used to drive as fast as a transit van could in which ever lane was free at the time. Having growing in years and as a person I still want to get where I am going as safely as I can in the fastest time speed limits and traffic allow. I will always remember a driving programmed on the BBC. Alex Sayle presented it forget the name of it. They tried driving fast & as they could across London. Then they tried it in a relaxed and slow manner after that. They worked out you save about 10min for every hour driven.

If someone is hogging the outside lane try understand that some people live and think in very different ways then other. An old man trying his best to get to Galway but is in fear to go more then 100km/PH or a lady driver who did not cover Motorway driving in her lessons. People’s minds and people driving skill vary a lot and there seems to be a large variation in Ireland yes but they are people too. Maybe if we try the respectful way to everyone. They will learn in time & we will not have to undertake or flash. Maybe when the country gets its road deaths down more time can be spent on getting people to drive not only safe but efferent. 33% of road space is not used because of bad use of both lanes. Bring on the computer driven cars & let us get home faster & safer.

Safe & happy driving people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Personally I find that on my commute on our 'urban' motorways that both lanes need to be used at all times due to volume of traffic. So, for the 10 miles that I am on the motorway, I will pretty much use the overtaking lane all the time because I am in a constant state of overtaking. However, if space allows, I will move to the left and of course I will always move left to ensure that I have no one flashing me from behind - I would always prefer to have that flashing, beeping a**hole in front of me so I can keep a better eye on them....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We could build twenty five lane with motorways and people will continue to drive in the "fast" lane as they perceive it.

I prefer to drive in the left hand most lane and let everybody wonder why there is so much traffic on the motorway.

In fact traffic is quite light in the left lane with me wathcing the fools fight each other for the best position in the overtaking lane.

I have given up on using that lane unless I need to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

I think what it boils too and as many many more have alluded to on here before
    is that there is no chance of things improving i.e irish driving habits, due to the simple fact that Irish drivers are not fully educated as to how to drive respectfully, coureteously and safely on the roads, we are not taught or tested on how to drive on motorways, we are not taught or tested on how to drive safely at night time, we are not educated about how to treat other vehicles (e.g hgv's and buses) etc etc and until the government gets off its arse and decides to implement such elements into our driver training then it's every man and woman for themselves out there and the bad habits become more and more prevalent.
    There is little or no garda presence on our roads and the seriously and seemingly understaffed 'traffic corps' does not seem to extend nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

To answer the original question.
    1. Approach them from behind (ooh matron) at such a high speed that they feel if they don't pull in they will get smacked
    2. Tailgate
    3. Undertake without indicating
    4. Swerve back out in front of them without indicating as close as I can manage without risking clipping them
    5. Carry on

Probably the least offensive thing I could manage would be to flash them or indicate... but I find that most times if I wait around to do this, I'll miss by 'undertaking' gap. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭knoxor

To answer the original question.
    1. Approach them from behind (ooh matron) at such a high speed that they feel if they don't pull in they will get smacked
    2. Tailgate
    3. Undertake without indicating
    4. Swerve back out in front of them without indicating as close as I can manage without risking clipping them
    5. Carry on

Probably the least offensive thing I could manage would be to flash them or indicate... but I find that most times if I wait around to do this, I'll miss by 'undertaking' gap. :D

problem is that undertaking is more dangerous than the original lane hogging. Imagine the scenario when you are going to undertake someone who is hogging the lane, then someone behind you has decided to undertake you and they are approaching at speed, you decide to undertake and in the meantime the guy who is hogging the outside land decides to move to the inside lane !!! Receipe for disaster I think.

If we all stay in the left lane and only move out of it to overtake then that is the simple solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

knoxor wrote: »

If we all stay in the left lane and only move out of it to overtake then that is the simple solution.

Oh did I laugh when I saw this. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :D

Its all good and well but the numpties who do it never read these threads, never listen to the ads on the radio and never watch the educational videos on the TV.

They are all just bitter having bought houses in the satellite towns outside Dublin and scream, bitch and bull their way into work every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Well on the M50 at peak times, both lanes are generally full, so it doesn't make a difference there anyway :)

I have my full license less than a year at this stage, so the rules of the road are still fresh enough in my mind. I was quite shocked actually when I got behind the wheel on motorways as to how much drivers actually don't know the rules. I have obviously been a passenger in the past and have witnessed my driver's frustrations, but its only when you are doing it yourself that its that more obvious to you.

I've done a couple of long motorway trips since getting my license. M4 going over towards Roscommon during the summer and M7, M1 etc... and it is quite obvious that we have a serious issue with over-taking lane hoggers and most of the time the offender is blatantly unaware of their offence!

I was actually driving over in Finland during the summer and it was so much less stressful driving on their motorways. The rules were well abided by all drivers....

Over-taking lane hoggers do annoy me quite a bit actually. My tactics are generally as follows:

- Approach the offending car. If they move over, then great. If not:

- One flash of the lights. If no movement they'll get a second (obviously if there is a car in the driving lane and they can't move over right away, I won't be as aggressive with the flashing)

- If 2 flashes pass and they don't move, they'll get a 3rd long flash combined with the horn.

I won't undertake as I actually saw a nasty accident resulting from this, so I've always been wary of undertaking and obviously its legality.

It is hilarious though when they do eventually pull over, the look of bemusement on their face to why you were flashing them and then they pull back out into the over-taking lane :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

gar32 wrote: »

If someone is hogging the outside lane try understand that some people live and think in very different ways then other. An old man trying his best to get to Galway but is in fear to go more then 100km/PH or a lady driver who did not cover Motorway driving in her lessons.

Sorry mate, but I've enough to worry about. if they can't drive on a DC or MWay, get off it. Same people that pull out to the right on a hill climbing lane and stay there for the duration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

problem is that undertaking is more dangerous than the original lane hogging. Imagine the scenario when you are going to undertake someone who is hogging the lane, then someone behind you has decided to undertake you and they are approaching at speed, you decide to undertake and in the meantime the guy who is hogging the outside land decides to move to the inside lane !!! Receipe for disaster I think.

Look, that was said somwhat tongue in cheek... it's obviously not my default reaction to every lane hogging situation I come across... :cool:

Re: your point about my undertaking being more dangerous... that's where those of us who are blessed with the ability show awareness on the road (i.e. what each lane is for) can safely determine the best course of action for each different situation we face. I'm not going to undertake without checking my mirror. If there is someone steaming up behind me, I'm not going to risk pulling across lanes without warning. Also, I am going to look carefully at the driver in front and try to anticipate what he may or may not do before I swing on the inside of him. If I get the sense he is freaked or is liable to panic swerve out of my way I won't do it. But if I know that he knows I'm there... and belligerently sticks his ground and locks his head dead ahead, it's safe to assume we will avoid a collision. Either way, once I make my move, I'm going to be past him before he knows anything about it.

You see, (and here comes a generalisation... and something which may sound ridiculous)... I would wager that most people who others [those that lack said awareness] consider 'crazy' drivers and those who confidently make manoeuvres on the road which others might find aggressive or dangerous, could be considered students of the art of driving and or the rules of the road. People who undertake, while you may call them reckless or nutcases, at the very least demonstrate an understanding of how things are supposed to work. Personally speaking I would feel safer in a car with one of these people than the type of people who don't give driving the care, attention or repect it deserves. I think if you're not stressed when driving in Ireland then you're not paying enough attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Personally I find that on my commute on our 'urban' motorways that both lanes need to be used at all times due to volume of traffic. So, for the 10 miles that I am on the motorway, I will pretty much use the overtaking lane all the time because I am in a constant state of overtaking. However, if space allows, I will move to the left and of course I will always move left to ensure that I have no one flashing me from behind - I would always prefer to have that flashing, beeping a**hole in front of me so I can keep a better eye on them....

+ 1 to that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I'l agree to do this if and when the Traffic Corps operates a twin rotor helicopter swinging a big magnet that picks right-lane hoggers up off the road and drops them in the nearest pond, lake, river or ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭knoxor

Look, that was said somwhat tongue in cheek... it's obviously not my default reaction to every lane hogging situation I come across... :cool:

Re: your point about my undertaking being more dangerous... that's where those of us who are blessed with the ability show awareness on the road (i.e. what each lane is for) can safely determine the best course of action for each different situation we face. I'm not going to undertake without checking my mirror. If there is someone steaming up behind me, I'm not going to risk pulling across lanes without warning. Also, I am going to look carefully at the driver in front and try to anticipate what he may or may not do before I swing on the inside of him. If I get the sense he is freaked or is liable to panic swerve out of my way I won't do it. But if I know that he knows I'm there... and belligerently sticks his ground and locks his head dead ahead, it's safe to assume we will avoid a collision. Either way, once I make my move, I'm going to be past him before he knows anything about it.

You see, (and here comes a generalisation... and something which may sound ridiculous)... I would wager that most people who others [those that lack said awareness] consider 'crazy' drivers and those who confidently make manoeuvres on the road which others might find aggressive or dangerous, could be considered students of the art of driving and or the rules of the road. People who undertake, while you may call them reckless or nutcases, at the very least demonstrate an understanding of how things are supposed to work. Personally speaking I would feel safer in a car with one of these people than the type of people who don't give driving the care, attention or repect it deserves. I think if you're not stressed when driving in Ireland then you're not paying enough attention.

I hear ye, to be honest I've had to take the odd inside lane myself :o after spending 10 minutes behind a lane hogger. Having flashed my lights repeatedly at them to move over. I guess in that kind of situation, there isn't much else you can do.

But the point still stands that it is dangerous and there are a lot of less aware people who do it. If the outside land hoggers are not targeted by govt. adverts, then the inside lane overtaking will become the norm and with more and more people doing it then we'll have more accidents.

I'm originally from da North and find that here, the road safety adverts are not hard hitting enough. We're used to seeing adverts where little is left to the imagination with regards causes of accidents.

The govt. need to take the kid gloves off and scare people into driving a bit better.

Ahhh, that feels good. Been looking to rant on about that for ages...

thanks you've been a great audience.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if there's a lane hogger in front of me and he's totally oblivious to my flashing, tailgating, weaving and horn honking then I can be pretty sure he doesn't even know that there is an empty lane to the left of him and will be staying put exactly where he/she is by the time i actually get to blood boiling point and pass him on the left, just as sure as I am that he's not even going to notice me shouting and giving him the finger out of my side window as I pass. all i can hope is that as i swerve out again directly after passing him that some spark of recognition might register in that lobotomised hamster turd he calls a brain that maybe he might possibly be maybe doing something a tiny bit wrong.

of course at that point I make an effort to indicate left directly after this and pull in, hoping that it might cause a second spark or recognition and the offending hogger might figure out what he's supposed to be doing.

of course it doesn't always go like that, normally they see me coming and realise i'm a lot bigger than they are and move out of the way. it's so much easier now that i don't have a fiesta any more, it's a lot easier to be imposing. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Switcharoo

I leave the indicator on for about 20 seconds and if that doesn't work....

?? How would it work? It makes no sense. Yeah, if someone cuts me off, I put my wipers on... that'll show them! :rolleyes:

Anyway - I usually flash lightly a couple of times, and if that doesn't work I undertake where possible & safe. Either way, I always keep a safe distance though - safety first, but I still hate slow twats hindering my forward progress.

Switcharoo wrote: »
    ?? How would it work? It makes no sense. Yeah, if someone cuts me off, I put my wipers on... that'll show them! :rolleyes:
    it make a lot of sense in a situation where you are trying to pass someone out and they are totally oblivious to your presence. it makes you more visible in their mirrors so that hopefully they will cop the fkuc on and move out of your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Switcharoo

vibe666 wrote: »
    it make a lot of sense in a situation where you are trying to pass someone out and they are totally oblivious to your presence. it makes you more visible in their mirrors so that hopefully they will cop the fkuc on and move out of your way.
    What does indicating achieve that flashing them can't? If you indicate, you look retarded to the guy behind - & why give a flase signal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

What does indicating achieve that flashing them can't?

Indicating is a lot less hostile, and less likely to provoke road rage/brake stamping from the hogger. It's very common on the Continent to see people making progress in the outside lane sticking their left indicator on to say "coming through!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

vibe666 wrote: »

Indicating says "Get out of my way" while flashing can be saying "you're out a brake light bulb", "I like your car", "please brake and have me run into the back of you"

Indicating is a lot easier and they tend to get the message the first time.
    What does indicating achieve that flashing them can't? If you indicate, you look retarded to the guy behind - & why give a flase signal?

It's not a false signal. It says "I'm in the overtaking lane and I'm showing my intent to OVERTAKE"

It's not a false signal. It says "I'm in the overtaking lane and I'm showing my intent to OVERTAKE"
    afaik in the rest of europe it's the accepted norm to continue to use the indicator for the duration of an overtaking manoeuvre, even on motorways.

i've driven a lot in many countries and it is very common for people to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Indicating says "Get out of my way" while flashing can be saying "you're out a brake light bulb", "I like your car", "please brake and have me run into the back of you"

Indicating is a lot easier and they tend to get the message the first time.

Thing is though if someone is showing the lack of awareness to move over to the left lane, they will hardly notice an indicator as quickly as they would notice a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

What do you all think of the scenario mentioned near the start of the thread by kingtut then?

If I'm driving along the motorway at 115ish in the left hand lane, come up behind a string of slow moving traffic, say for argument's sake 4 cars, driving slower eg 100km/h and I move into the right lane to overtake it's going to take a little while to get past all four but there wouldn't be room to safely pull back into the left hand lane between the cars. Then someone who has decided to do 130 comes flying along and pulls into the overtaking lane behind me - would you still do the flashing/beeping/tailgating? I think kingtut's point was that he chooses to obey the law and not go above 120 but the only way he could get past these cars quickly is by speeding. As he is overtaking these slower moving cars he has every right to be in the right hand lane no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

have only undertaking once due to some posh a** in her nice big jeep hoggin the overtaking lane at 85kph on the fone. I made sure to rev up passing her.

Im not gone on undertaking tbh, but if needs doing, its gotta be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement