Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a website editable after its finished

Options
  • 04-12-2008 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Ok guys i have a problem that i hope someone can help me with!
    I was asked to make a website for someone, but one condition was that they wanted to be able to edit the website themselves afterwards. They want to be able to log on and edit there news and add images without using a program like dreamweaver or frontpage.
    How do i do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Build the site with a CMS?? If you look on google you should be able to find a lot of open source CMS solutions, which should do what your client is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Joomla is an opensource content management system but has a bit of a learning curve

• Registered Users Posts: 28 conordarcy

You could try Adobe Contribute. Not as good as the last two options but the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

you could try cushycms it would be perfect for that sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

What language have you created the site with. You could create a CMS (Content Management System) for them so that the can upload images etc if you have a DB available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Namesco wrote: »
    Joomla is an opensource content management system but has a bit of a learning curve

Drupal is another one - if the default installation doesn't have a feature you want it is almost always available as an add-on module

• Registered Users Posts: 38 red_hot_nirvana

Traq wrote: »
    Build the site with a CMS?? If you look on google you should be able to find a lot of open source CMS solutions, which should do what your client is looking for.

Thanks i'll try this out and see how i get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

They want to be able to log on and edit there news and add images without using a program like dreamweaver or frontpage.
    How do i do it?
    I used CMS Made Simple CMS for my residents association website. I added the Image Upload module - this allows you to upload an image and it will resize it and create a small thumbnail.

The news is then entered via a WYSIWYG editor in the admin side of the site. A tiny bit of training will teach the maintainer how to add images.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I used CMS Made Simple CMS for my residents association website. I added the Image Upload module - this allows you to upload an image and it will resize it and create a small thumbnail.

The news is then entered via a WYSIWYG editor in the admin side of the site. A tiny bit of training will teach the maintainer how to add images.

Is it free??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

conordarcy wrote: »
    You could try Adobe Contribute. Not as good as the last two options but the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to do it.

Cheapest? The cheapest way is free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

comer_97 wrote: »
    you could try cushycms it would be perfect for that sort of thing

Another vote for cushycms here! If the end user just wants to periodically update the site (and doesn't need total control over the content/template), then this site is about the easiest way to do it (without needing to learn a complicated CMS).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Is it free??
    Yes, CMS Made Simple and all its modules are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

daymobrew wrote: »
    Yes, CMS Made Simple and all its modules are free.

http://www.vrangsinn.net/demo/bandAdministrationDemo.php

a public demo site for the administration system we currently use for our music website (http://www.misantrof.net).

As you can see our aim was to make it super easy for people to update their pages. Just click on what they want to change and a forum like editor appears. Of course this is the full administration system. Bands would get a cut down version of options only for their page.

We are currently still developing this, but hey it will be open source and constantly improving, so we are always happy to share and improve.

We will soon have our first commercial customer using the system when it will be integrated with oscommerce so looking forward to that.

Thanks guys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

conordarcy wrote: »

$199 is not cheap when there are plenty of perfectly good free ones. Last time I used it it wasn't up to scratch.

CushyCMS and CMS Made Simple are the leaders when it comes to recommendations in this forum.

Advertisement