Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many phone connections in a house?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Username! wrote: »
    Yes it does, the filter is designed to seperate the two range of frequencies that the phone and Broadband work on (the phone being c. up to 4kHz and the Broadband at a much higher range of c. 25kHz).

Having the filter on the line gives the Broadband only it's dedicated signal so no interferance on the line will affect it, it's very necessary, trust me.
    Are you 100% sure about this?

I dont have my modem filtered but the rest of the phones in the house are.

I have never had problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Username! wrote: »
    Yes it does, the filter is designed to seperate the two range of frequencies that the phone and Broadband work on (the phone being c. up to 4kHz and the Broadband at a much higher range of c. 25kHz).

Having the filter on the line gives the Broadband only it's dedicated signal so no interferance on the line will affect it, it's very necessary, trust me.
    Its not 25Khz. thats only just above audible frequencies. There's no need for a filter on the dsl line. this will filter out the dsl, won't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

0 - 4 kilohertz (KHz)
    Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS)

26 - 138 kilohertz (KHz)
    Upstream data transmission

138 KHz to 1.1 megahertz (MHz)
    Downstream data transmission

I'm not familiar with how ADSL lines work, so just going off the numbers above which I found on some site. You will probably need a lowpass filter for telephones as those higher frequencies will add a ton of noise to calls. And almost certainly a highpass filter will be needed for the DSL line to remove the lower telephone frequencies. What might be happening though is your standard DSL modem might have a filter built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Its not 25Khz. thats only just above audible frequencies. There's no need for a filter on the dsl line. this will filter out the dsl, won't it?

Voice can be carried with sufficient quality over a frequency range of 0 -> 4000Hz or 4KHz. The low pass filters that you get with a broadband modem allow the 0 -> 4KHz signals through and filter out stuff above that. Broadband uses frequencies above 4KHz up to about 25,000KHz. So if you throw a filter on the DSL side of an Eircom master socket you'll end up filtering out the DSL signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

25khz sounded wrong to me tbh because a lot of people can hear that frequency. Regardless, a filter isn't needed for the bb line

dsl modems are designed to work on lines that also have phones connected and if any filters are needed (which would be high pass filters and not standard dsl filters) they'd be built into the modem. Phones on the other hand existed long before dsl and aren't designed to work on the same line as dsl modems, so they need a filter to get rid of the modem noise but the modem doesn't need a filter because it's already designed to account for it, if it has to at all

Op, your diagram just before Username! Posted about needing a filter on the dsl will work fine, assuming you're right about the output from the first socket going into the back of the second one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    25khz sounded wrong to me tbh because a lot of people can hear that frequency. Regardless, a filter isn't needed for the bb line

Nah 25Khz is correct, humans can hear in the range of between 20Hz and 20kHz but for a phone call all you need is up to 4kHz which is enough to provide reasonable quality sound. The rest of the bandwidth on a copper pair can be used for DSL so when your line gets to the exchange it's connected to a DSLAM for data traffic or an MSAN but I don't think there are many operators using MSANs in Ireland at the moment (well at least none that Ericsson have sold equipment to recently that I know of).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks for your thoughts on this lads. Will give you a shout if I need anything else. Just fiddling with some cables etc today and gonna see how it turns out.

Here's the beauty as it stands right now :)

untitled_8.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

lol

I'd hate to see the 4 gang adapters for the christmas lights in your house..

No triple adapters in the shops that I could find today .. gonna order some online I reckon.

There's 5 Sky boxes and a phone running through the filter!!

Now my DSL doesn't work though .. it worked earlier .. and it works when I plug that mess out .. crap .. back to a process of elimination :(

• Advertisement

5 sky boxes????

jmccrohan wrote: »
    5 sky boxes????
    Yah 5. If I have to walk from the back garden upstairs to my bedroom I wanna be able to continue to watch my TV shows the whole way up! Can't be missing things just because the dog needed a p!ss now !

Random wrote: »

Now my DSL doesn't work though .. it worked earlier .. and it works when I plug that mess out .. crap .. back to a process of elimination :(

That looks like a bog standard filter without a splitter. If the modem is connected thru that, then it won't work.

That looks like a bog standard filter without a splitter. If the modem is connected thru that, then it won't work.
    In the photo you see a cable coming out of the top of the "box". This is the DSL line unfiltered. Everything else is running through that filter going into the socket in the box.

In the photo you see a cable coming out of the top of the "box". This is the DSL line unfiltered. Everything else is running through that filter going into the socket in the box.
    This might explain it better. Hope the coulor coding is clear. The red is DSL. It's hard wired into the box.

dsl_Small.jpg

The internet works with just 1 or 2 things plugged into the filter but not with the other stuff.

Ok. I thought that was the 'phone line into the box. If the modem was plugged after the filter, that would have explained the problem.

Ok. I thought that was the 'phone line into the box.
    Nah, that's buried in the wall behind the box.

Well I setup my new office down at the front door ...

141220081343_Small.jpg

And things worked. So after lots of messing about I decided to try another filter (the 5th one I've tried).

Everythings now working. I hate such things.

What I don't understand though ...
    - How could the filter be affecting the DSL?
    - How could the filter only be faulty when there was a couple of connections plugged in but not when there was 2?

I thought the filter was supposed to be to protect the phone from DSL interference and not vice-versa? Or so a few people have told me recently.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

it's possible that the fact that the filter was faulty was affecting the dsl signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The REN value on a phone line just means the number of old-fashioned bell-ringers that it could power.

The amount of power the line has depends on a few factors, including how far you are from the exchange and what type of exchange it is and how the ring voltage is applied to the line.

If you've overloaded the line, it will just stop ringing or ring very weirdly e.g. some phones might ring and others might not.

I would suggest just plugging everything in and see if it works. Most eircom lines are not short of juice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement