Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After nearly 3 years my phone died, recomendations on a replacment anyone?

• 05-12-2008 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Today is a sad day, my sony ericsson K800 has finally bit the bullet. Recently its been freezing a lot, then the camera went and now finally it wont turn on and if it does none of the buttons work and there is zero reception :(.

I was however extremely happy with the phone so im thinking maybe another sony ericsson is in order(unless of course theres reason i shouldnt).

I have around 300-350 euro to spend. Im on meteor(but willing to port over to vodafone) and for me the most important thing on a phone has to be the camera, not really big on an mp3 feature unless the phone has a proper headphone jack and i dont really care about wifi or video recording.

Il also note that im anti samsung(to the extreme as there batterys are muck, and from the one touchscreen phone i used(LG viewty) i really was not a fan.

So boardies, what would you recommend to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

T,is a pitty your anti samsung, ive the samsung soul since last year. the battery is actually quit good and as a photographer I gotta say the 5mega pixal camera is excallent quality. other then that its just a phone same as any other (never mind the fancy rubbish from the ads), good radio and mp3 player but most of all it has a good size screen and I use it as i would a normal digi camera the picture quality is that good.

PS: I absolutly hate bloody phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Il look into it, i just found in the last 2 samsungs ive had the battery was gone by the end of the day when i took it out of the box, never mind 6 months down the line. I assume theyve updated there battery over the past few years though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

N82 sim free from eBay with loads of change from your budget.
    5MP camera with Xenon flash.
    Plus wifi, gps, fast internet and toaster*

* May not actually have toasting capability due to firmware restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Check out the K810i - it's like the k800i, except it's the updated shape and firmware - really nice.

edit: link may be handy; http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/-/1017/1262/-/3358426/Sony-Ericsson-K810-K810i-Sim-Free-Unlocked-Mobile-Phone/Product.html?searchtype=genre&cur=258

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Advertisement

Thanks but if im going to be getting a new phone i like to upgrade on the specs a bit more so itl last longer. Im a firm believer in buy cheap buy twice.

As for the nokia n82, yea it seems to tick all the boxes but im warey about using nokia phones. I hear that the n82 is like a repackaged 95 with xenon flash and i for one thought the n95 to be more confusing than its worth. What you recon?

Have you seen the 'Sony Ericsson C905' (not 902).

Yea, falls a bit outta even my upper price range though doesnt it? Speaking of the c902 i was seriously considering this untill i heard it doesnt have a xenon flash which really put me off. Can anyone tell me if the new flash is any bit as good in comparrison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Patricide wrote: »
    I hear that the n82 is like a repackaged 95 with xenon flash and i for one thought the n95 to be more confusing than its worth. What you recon?

That's a fairly accurate description, it has the same operating system alright.
    As for the complexity it's whatever you're into I suppose. There's about 6 icons for shortcuts on the main screen that are configurable, together with the two blue key shortcuts - you could easily live off those.

Otherwise the 6620 Classic also has 5MP/Xenon.

Patricide wrote: »
    Yea, falls a bit outta even my upper price range though doesnt it? Speaking of the c902 i was seriously considering this untill i heard it doesnt have a xenon flash which really put me off. Can anyone tell me if the new flash is any bit as good in comparrison?

I was going for the 902 but have heard mixed reports about it. The 905 is 279 on O2 bill pay. Which I thought was in your budget.

• Advertisement

Ive decided i think after much scouring the web last night that im prob gonna wait a while and get the c905, just seems like the best phone for me although the shaggin thing is expensive.

Edit, just saw the 6220 classic, that seems more up my alley alright, will check it out in carphone warehouse tomorro.

Ebay is still the cheapst place to buy sim free phones these days right?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

id stick with sony, unbeatable battery life and half decent cameras, in fairness as a photographer, studying photography and working in the business alot, a camera phone is only gonna get you so far, the higher the megapixel count the worse the image quality will be over about 4 or 5 megapixel due to the size of the cameras sensor and electrical interference between each light receptor. the os in sonys, once ya start using it, really i find is second to none and consistantly have amazing battery life throughout their range. i had a flash attachment for my w800i and pics were pretty good, maybe look into the cybershot phone range and pick up the flash cheap on ebay, results are excellent.

http://flickr.com/photos/melekalikimaka/226561245/

taken with 2 megapixel sony in low low light, some slrs would struggle to get this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

btw the viewty's made by lg

metalfest wrote: »
    btw the viewty's made by lg
    Right you are, my mistake!!! Edited.

no problem.
    hm, are you on meteor payg?

id stick with sony, unbeatable battery life and half decent cameras, in fairness as a photographer, studying photography and working in the business alot, a camera phone is only gonna get you so far, the higher the megapixel count the worse the image quality will be over about 4 or 5 megapixel due to the size of the cameras sensor and electrical interference between each light receptor. the os in sonys, once ya start using it, really i find is second to none and consistantly have amazing battery life throughout their range. i had a flash attachment for my w800i and pics were pretty good, maybe look into the cybershot phone range and pick up the flash cheap on ebay, results are excellent.

http://flickr.com/photos/melekalikimaka/226561245/

taken with 2 megapixel sony in low low light, some slrs would struggle to get this
    Id tend to agree with you, on most phones anyway. The sony ericsson c905 is the only phone that has a substantially better shot than my old k800i, the nokias are better but not good enough to warrent the price tag.

Just so you know I use the camera in my phone just for quick snaps. I want them to look good but im not trying to get professional quality photos here. I know for the time being anyway its not possible on a mobile.

try gsmarena for looking at what specs you want maybe?

metalfest wrote: »
    no problem.
    hm, are you on meteor payg?
    I am indeed, but like i said willing to change over to vodafone aswell. Or get the phone unlocked.

Also i am scouring but its been so long since i got a phone i have no idea wha makes are reliable these days.

Ok i think ive sifted through just about every phone on the market now with a xenon flash and good camera and the c905 seems unbeatable.

Cheapst place to get a phone is ebay yes?

lol well ebay depends,

• Advertisement
Advertisement