Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital Food

Options
  • 05-12-2008 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if there is a hospital in Ireland that can accommodate vegetarians.
    I was in Hospital a couple of months ago and I couldnt believe that the catering staff there was absolutely no idea what vegetarians ate! I had an operation in which I lost some blood (no biggie) and was anaemic. However none of my meals contained iron or protein. My meals consisted of pasta in Ragu type crap with a side serving of boiled cabbage :eek:, spring rolls that were taken from the freezer and microwaved to the point that I couldnt cut the flipping thing (I was really hungry :(). To add to the insult I was given jelly every day.Each day the nurses would come in and comment that I needed to eat proper food! ( They saw that I was refusing my evening salad that consisted of brown iceberg lettuce). Over the five days the same two dinners were handed to me with the salad in the evening.
    Thank God M&S was just up the road otherwise I would have starved!
    Is there a hospital in the country that is capable of catering for us? Im not talking about gormet quality just edible quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I was in hospital 2 years ago and looking for vegan food. I was there for 3 nights and it was very awkward! I even had my mum bring in a pot of food for me :) I had brought oatmilk to go with cornflakes. It was not fun... Still I wouldn't expect a hospital to cater wonderfully for veg*ns cause it's not their speciality is it? I'd be happy to stick with good medicine and have a family member/friend helping out with food issues. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Afraid I can't help, only been to hospital once as a child.
    I doubt they are very good though, just stock food for everybody. Relatives or some hospital restaurant I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I was in Mount Carmel (Dublin) a few years back and there was a choice of veggie meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

After reading this post I came across a list of Vegan Society Awards 2008 (the Winter edition of the Vegan Society Magazine). The "Best vegan friendly Hospital or Care Home" award went ot St Mary's Hospital in Manchester. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

did you speak to the catering manager? To explain your needs, though a lot of meals in hospitals these days are cook chill variety and rubbish. A catering manager should be able to assist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I had a relative in the mater a couple of years back and the food was dire. We had to bring food in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

meat eater or veggie - I think everyone complains about the quality of the food in hospital. They must be one of the least healthy meals given! weird considering you are there to get well! lol
    I don't think the food is any worse for being veggie - some of the meat dinners I've seen there leaves a lot to be desired too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

To be honest I wasnt expecting resturant quality I just kind of assumed that a hospital ( any organisation) would know the needs of veggies and vegans. I pointed out to the catering staff that I was a veggie and kind of assumed that a professional catering company would have an automatic veggie/vegan alternative.....but no :(. More so that my medical needs were being compromised because of it.
    Anyhoo I whining now so Im heading off to go skipping or something :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

everyones medical needs are compromised when it comes to the food they serve. The catering is outsourced and as is the usual case, its a case of cheapest wins! My dad has heart probs and was in for a triple by-pass. Once he was moved from the intensive care unit he was given fatty meat every other day! my friend is diabetic and the food she was given was totally unsuitable.

Advertisement