Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of Ketchup

• 05-12-2008 1:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

I've always had this crazy fear of Tomato Ketchup.
    The stuff freaks me out.
    I've never actually tried eating it - I don't think I can.
    I've always had this fear, but recently people have been asking me why and I honestly don't know what to tell them.
    I can eat pizza sauce and bolognaise sauce, etc.
    It's literally just Tomato Ketchup - the smell, the colour, the thick texture just freaks me out. If I go out for a meal or to a fast food place or something and someone else is eating ketchup at the table I can't enjoy my meal properly. It used to be, that I couldn't even sit at the same table, but I've managed to get over that, as long as the ketchup isn't too close to me.
    If someone in McDonalds or Burger King, etc. ever goes to put Ketcup on the tray or in the bag, I always ask them not to and they look at me funny.
    I'm not looking for a cure to this fear - in the grander scheme of things it doesn't affect me much and it's usually a good conversation topic. I was just wondering if anyone else has this fear or knows anyone with this fear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I've always had this crazy fear of Tomato Ketchup.
    The stuff freaks me out.
    I've never actually tried eating it - I don't think I can.
    I've always had this fear, but recently people have been asking me why and I honestly don't know what to tell them.
    I can eat pizza sauce and bolognaise sauce, etc.
    It's literally just Tomato Ketchup - the smell, the colour, the thick texture just freaks me out. If I go out for a meal or to a fast food place or something and someone else is eating ketchup at the table I can't enjoy my meal properly. It used to be, that I couldn't even sit at the same table, but I've managed to get over that, as long as the ketchup isn't too close to me.
    If someone in McDonalds or Burger King, etc. ever goes to put Ketcup on the tray or in the bag, I always ask them not to and they look at me funny.
    I'm not looking for a cure to this fear - in the grander scheme of things it doesn't affect me much and it's usually a good conversation topic. I was just wondering if anyone else has this fear or knows anyone with this fear?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Your missing out big time!!! WHat if you added diced tomatoes to it?would that help?

What are you like with mayo, Nutella etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Don't think you're alone OP. A number of people who post here have a fear of tomatoes and some also hate ketchup if I remember correctly. Not as rare as you might have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hogzy wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Your missing out big time!!! WHat if you added diced tomatoes to it?would that help?

What are you like with mayo, Nutella etc etc...

Dunno what diced tomatoes are, but it definitely wouldn't help. Couldn't eat anything with ketchup.

Not a huge mayo fan, but if there's free sandwiches going around and they've used mayo instead of butter, I'd be ok with eating it.

And I love Nutella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

LadyJ wrote: »
    Don't think you're alone OP. A number of people who post here have a fear of tomatoes and some also hate ketchup if I remember correctly. Not as rare as you might have thought.

Interesting. Maybe I should join forces with other Ketchup haters and we could try to red the world of Ketchupy evilness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

could try to red the world of Ketchupy evilness.

Lol. Was this a Freudian typo or just a funny joke?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mrs.vandoorn

Sweet jesus ! im not alone in the world ! the worst part is when you see the crusty old ketchup on the lid !! its sick.

my housemates chase me round the house with it if i smoke inside !!!

i feel your pain

LadyJ wrote: »
    Lol. Was this a Freudian typo or just a funny joke?

Believe it or not - 'twas an error. Obviously I was in a traumatic place when writing.
    Sweet jesus ! im not alone in the world ! the worst part is when you see the crusty old ketchup on the lid !! its sick.

my housemates chase me round the house with it if i smoke inside !!!

i feel your pain

I hate when people chase you with bottles of ketchup - it's probably the meanest thing anyone can do.
    My friend tried to threaten me with ketchup once, and I beat the seven shades of blue out of him - I think he learnt his lesson - it also works as a warning to others.
    Someone once asked me, "if I had to eat one spoonful of ketchup in order to live, what would I do?" and I didn't even have to think about it, I just said "I'd rather die," and I would.
    Yeah the krusty ketchup is pretty horrifying - also people who eat ketchup sandwiches - they're pure evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

my brother eats ketchup in mince and potatoes.

he also puts extra ketchup on pizza.

I ****ING hate the stuff.

support group +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Yeah I'm not particularly fond of Ketchup either, I don't think I have a fear of it though but I've always thought it was vile! So sweet and red and sticky!

Funny thing is I love Brown Sauce (Yorkshire Relish). I put it on my chips! It annoys me the way to go to a restaurant or somewhere and they have no Brown Sauce! Only fücking Ketchup!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Ketchup is fine - it's the raw tomatoes that scare the bejeezus out of me.

/shudders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I can definitely understand this. I wouldn't say I've a phobia, but I have a definite squeamishness about it. I have a squeamishness about any sticky food I don't like (but no cooking squeamishness otherwise, I'm not the sort who can't touch raw meat or rub oil into things or anything like that) but with ketchup my squeamishness increases beyond it being a particularly nasty sticky food.

Fine with the smell though (well, it smells disgusting and I can't eat if I can smell it, but its not a phobic thing).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement