Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

s/w to generate uml diagrams from c# code

Options
  • 05-12-2008 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I'm developing an application with c#/asp.net 3.5/silverlight 2/vs 2008/sql server 2005. It uses WCF webservices to communicate between the silverlight and the asp.net/database.

Can anyone recommend a tool that would generate uml diagrams from code for this? Is generating diagrams from code a good option, or are you much better off doing it all yourself? I've used UML a bit, but would need to brush up on it a good bit to be confident about modelling the software correctly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Ive never seen a product that does this well to be honest. It either goes way over the top on info and is not readable or just doesnt cut it. So always end up doing them myself.. Quicker and more control. But someone else might have a product that you could use..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In UML terms, generating code from the diagram is "forward engineering", generating the diagram from the code is "reverse engineering", and a combination of the two is "round-trip engineering" which I think is the feature you are looking for.

When it works well, it works very well and is a great way of keeping code and the associated documentation up to date. I've only done it by creating a diagram first, then the code, and then letting the tool (Rational Rose) keep both in sync. I'd imagine it could work just as well having the code first and generating the diagram from that, the first diagram you generate would be a bit of a mess, but once you clean it up and do the Round-Trip fairly regularly it should be ok.

It's a while since I've done it, I think at the time Rational Rose was the only tool to support it but others do now. I think VSTS even might if you have that, but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

StarUML (Open Source) might give you a start, supports reverse engineering for most of the major languages (C/C++/C#/VB.NET/Java) I use it now and again, pretty sure there's plugins available too...

http://staruml.sourceforge.net/en/

Advertisement