Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a store bought game via steam

Options
  • 05-12-2008 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Outta curiosity, I have Bioshock & Fallout3 recently purchased.

afaik, both of these are available via Steam also?

I like the handiness of steam tbh; broadband now makes it much more viable for me to use it more and more to buy games [it just happened that I saw both of those games cheap-ish in store]

It's a bit late now, but would I have been able to activate them thru steam using the serial key and then install them using the disk or would I have had to download the game then or would I have been able to install to steam at all??

Sorry for the convoluted question!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You could probably install the games, then enter the serials into steam then copy the game content over into the steam directory instead of downloading.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kaimera wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Outta curiosity, I have Bioshock & Fallout3 recently purchased.

afaik, both of these are available via Steam also?

I like the handiness of steam tbh; broadband now makes it much more viable for me to use it more and more to buy games [it just happened that I saw both of those games cheap-ish in store]

It's a bit late now, but would I have been able to activate them thru steam using the serial key and then install them using the disk or would I have had to download the game then or would I have been able to install to steam at all??

Sorry for the convoluted question!

With a few small exceptions, mostly Valves own games, you can't use the serials from retail boxed copies on Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They'll not get updates through Steam, therefore just leave it where it is and just "add a non Steam game" to the Steam list

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You can try add them to Steam as said above but you will never get the functionality of Steam, such as unlimited downloads of the game, automatic patching etc. Unless it was a game developed by Valve themselves.

When you bought Bioshock and Fallout3 in the Stores, you bought off a different publisher. So no money to Valve/Steam, no real Steam perks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I see.

Cheers guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement