Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many PFOs have you got from solicitors firms?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Yeah as of last year they have to pay you minimum wage, while in office anyway. Apparently alot of firms are doing this now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Yep, I hear it's pretty standard, firms are saying that they'd rather let their staff go than pay them
    Is anyone on WPP and doing a TC?

Never even thought of that, if someone was allowed do it on the WPP then that would really make it finacially viable for alot of people. Obviosuly it would be tough on 200 a week but would be doable.

Problem would be I think WPP is for a maximum of nine months, would cover some in office training blocks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Yoshimi1983

Hello fellow TC seekers.
    I'm preparing for Fe1s in 2011. Like many here, I'm going throgh the application process for the big corporate fellas. hwoever, its criminal i'm interested in, as I have a research background in the area. By any chance is there a register of law firms that practice criminal law? and secondly, is it best to wait until you have at least 4 fe1s to approach small/medium firms?

Someone posted the names of some of the bigger criminal firms a while back, perhaps not on this thread but on the other 'applying for Tc' thread.

Frank Buttimer in Cork is one that springs to mind.

The general advice seems to be approach smaller firms when you have some FE-1s done, purely from the point of view that you'd have a concrete date on which you could start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dynamokev

Hi all,

Can someone please clarify for me whether the Dillon Eustace application form has to be filled out in hand writing? There doesn't seem to be the possibility to fill it in online. Maybe I have got this completely wrong and there is some simple way of entering a typed response, that I just have not yet noticed?? The spacing is impossibly small for handwritten answers.

I'm very puzzled.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I filled it out in handwriting last year anyway and that was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

To the person who was asking about firms outside the Big 5, this is a list of some large/medium firms I applied to last year:

Byrne Wallace
    Dillon Eustace
    Maples and Calder
    Malcolmson Law
    Beauchamps
    LK Shields
    Hayes Solicitors
    Eugene F Collins
    Mason Hayes and Curran
    Eversheds
    Philip Lee
    Ronan Daly Jermyn
    McGuire Desmond
    GJ Moloney
    MJ O'Connor

I don't envy people having to go through the whole process again. I had a lot of disappointments and PFO's the last two years. At times it leaves you wondering what sort of people these firms are looking for. By complete chance this summer I heard that one of the Accountancy Big 4 had some graduate positions to fill left over from last year so I applied and got an offer, which I accepted. If some people here like myself do also have some interest in accountancy or tax I would strongly recommend applying to these firms. KPMG and Deloitte combined are hiring more graduates this year than the total number of trainee solicitors starting in Blackhall this year.

dynamokev wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can someone please clarify for me whether the Dillon Eustace application form has to be filled out in hand writing? There doesn't seem to be the possibility to fill it in online. Maybe I have got this completely wrong and there is some simple way of entering a typed response, that I just have not yet noticed?? The spacing is impossibly small for handwritten answers.

I'm very puzzled.

Thanks in advance.

I filled it out in handwriting the last two years and had no problems, although the spacing is ridiculously tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cd.galway

Hey all just going through the horrible task of apoplyin for a TC....there's a question thats bugging me though on one of the application forms...a commercial law story that is of interest to you...like im trying to be positive but there's alot of negativity out there in the papers, im finding it hard to see what they're looking for here! any suggestion, looking to find a recent case too but cant seem to find any!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

doz wrote: »
    I don't envy people having to go through the whole process again. I had a lot of disappointments and PFO's the last two years. At times it leaves you wondering what sort of people these firms are looking for. By complete chance this summer I heard that one of the Accountancy Big 4 had some graduate positions to fill left over from last year so I applied and got an offer, which I accepted. If some people here like myself do also have some interest in accountancy or tax I would strongly recommend applying to these firms. KPMG and Deloitte combined are hiring more graduates this year than the total number of trainee solicitors starting in Blackhall this year.

Are the accountancy firms actually taking on trainee solicitors, or did you decide to pursue a different career than law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dynamokev

Thanks for that.

Guess I'm just going to have to reduce the size of my writing.

Are the accountancy firms actually taking on trainee solicitors, or did you decide to pursue a different career than law?

No they don't hire trainee solicitors. I've just kind of decided that the business sector is the way to go at the moment really. There are however opportunities to branch off into corporate rescue, insolvency and such areas once you've completed the chartered accountant training I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Does anyone know what the story is with Philip Lee? Their website couldn't possibly be any vaguer - just says to email an application without any explanation of what to send and no closing date. I emailed them last week and got no response. I'm quite interested in them given the EU focus - does anyone have any experiences to share? I presume they take on very few trainees on a given year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

For Academic references have you good folk contacted your lecturer before putting them down or are you crossing that bridge when it comes?
    My lecturers wouldn't know me from Adam...

They never contacted my academic reference in the end but I would ask if I were you, just good manners! They tend not to know most students so will generally ask you for your CV and a general guide as to what you want said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

For Academic references have you good folk contacted your lecturer before putting them down

If you didn't, it would not reflect well!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Just with regard to the academic references ( i posted on the other thread too) im unsure what to put down. I graduated 9 years ago and i wouldnt even remember a lecturers name let alone one of them remembering me. Im raging because i have 4 great work references and can only put down one of them yet and have to "waste" a reference on this. Im presuming seeing as this is standard that most applicants are recent graduates?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cd.galway

Does anyone know how to fill out an application form bar printing it out and hand writing it....for example the Artur cox form i cant seem to type in my details tried everything

cd.galway wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to fill out an application form bar printing it out and hand writing it....for example the Artur cox form i cant seem to type in my details tried everything

You need to fill out the Arthur Cox one by hand and post it, they don't use e-mail at all to the best of my knowledge. Same for Dillon Eustace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fifi8_4

Any one get a reply from Byrne Wallace yet?

Advertisement