Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many PFOs have you got from solicitors firms?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

interview with mccanns on thursday. any advice would be most appreciated!
    don't forget your photo! be relaxed, its one of the most informal interviews imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Anyone heard back from Goodbody yet? Offers went out Friday, so I know I didn't get it, but supposedly letters or emails were suposed to be out today. Haven't heard anything though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 galwaygirl24

I got a phone call from A&L on Friday evening. All letters, PFO's or offers, were to be posted today so I guess we'll get written confirmation in the next few days.

Congrats on the phone call. I presume it means what I think it does ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 newby09

Any other firms started to get bk to candidates following interviews aside from a&l? phonecall, letter, email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 C222

Has anyone heard from frys? And also does anyone have any idea what maples second round interview involves? any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerrygirl84

Hey Galwaygirl24...i also got a call from A&L on Friday....have you heard anything since??? I have not! Did you get a letter today....or an e-mail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Abstar

Hey guys - I'm hoping to get a bit of work experience with a solicitor to beef up my CV - anyone have any advice as to the best approach? Should I post/email CVs and cover letters and follow up with a phone call or is it better to go into the offices in person (with CV and begging letter in hand :p)?

I'd be particularly keen to hear from anyone here who has tried any of the above or from any practicing solicitors/employees in a solicitors office who might know the protocol so to speak!

Cheers folks.

Abstar wrote: »
    Hey guys - I'm hoping to get a bit of work experience with a solicitor to beef up my CV - anyone have any advice as to the best approach? Should I post/email CVs and cover letters and follow up with a phone call or is it better to go into the offices in person (with CV and begging letter in hand :p)?

I'd be particularly keen to hear from anyone here who has tried any of the above or from any practicing solicitors/employees in a solicitors office who might know the protocol so to speak!

Cheers folks.

Email. A busy partner might give you a chance if you appear keen enough, but he/she probably wouldn't spare you any face-to-face time unless he/she was leaning toward helping you out or had already decided. You probably wouldn't get past the receptionist in any case.

Any help you can marshal from contacts within the firm or clients of the firm also help greatly. Be prepared for a lot of rejections and delayed responses but persevere. It's a great way of getting your foot in the door.

A good idea is to apply for any internship programmes the firm might run too. The big firms recruit a proportion of their trainees directly from their interns, and at the very least the experience of doing the interview and feedback from it can only be of benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Abstar

guerito wrote: »
    Email. A busy partner might give you a chance if you appear keen enough, but he/she probably wouldn't spare you any face-to-face time unless he/she was leaning toward helping you out or had already decided. You probably wouldn't get past the receptionist in any case.

Any help you can marshal from contacts within the firm or clients of the firm also help greatly. Be prepared for a lot of rejections and delayed responses but persevere. It's a great way of getting your foot in the door.

A good idea is to apply for any internship programmes the firm might run too. The big firms recruit a proportion of their trainees directly from their interns, and at the very least the experience of doing the interview and feedback from it can only be of benefit.

Thanks for that guerito. I'll be applying to "country" practices in the main as I'm not currently based in any of the cities but I'll email where possible and post in CV maybe everywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 galwaygirl24

Hey Galwaygirl24...i also got a call from A&L on Friday....have you heard anything since??? I have not! Did you get a letter today....or an e-mail?

Don't panic! You sound like you're panicking! I haven't heard anything from them but in fairness they were only due to post letters on Monday. I wasn't really expecting to hear from them untill the letter and of course that thing next week. If you're really worried call the partner who interviewed you but I really dont think there is any need!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Sangre wrote: »
    don't forget your photo! be relaxed, its one of the most informal interviews imo.

thanks for that, i nearly forgot about the photo.

if anyone has any advice or tips at all for this interview with mccann fitz tomorrow, i would greatly, greatly appreciate it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Hey just wondering has anyone been called for second round interview with maples yet? if so when did you get the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

legallad wrote: »
    Hey just wondering has anyone been called for second round interview with maples yet? if so when did you get the call.

I didn't apply to maples but a friend did. They got a call on Monday and had their second round interview today.

Would anyone choose maples over one of the big 5? I had my second round interview the other day and although I haven't heard yet or nething, I was really impressed with Maples, and I would definitely consider taking them if I got it over the other offer I have. Does anyone know anything about them, good or bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Susanfrank

I am wondering if any one knows when ODSE will be getting back to people who are succesful.

Also, how did others find the second interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

According to a modestly optimistic article that I read in today's London Times newspaper, "It's a safe bet we will always need lawyers", albeit in reference to the UK although I think the message holds true here too. So for all those wannabe solicitors out there today's message is: Nil desperandum..

C222 wrote: »
    Would anyone choose maples over one of the big 5? I had my second round interview the other day and although I haven't heard yet or nething, I was really impressed with Maples, and I would definitely consider taking them if I got it over the other offer I have. Does anyone know anything about them, good or bad?

Hey C222 I can send you a private message on this if you want? It is info I received from someone else

That would be great, thanks legallad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

legallad wrote: »
    Hey C222 I can send you a private message on this if you want? It is info I received from someone else

Hearsay admissable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

On a side note, Mason Hayes are definately employing at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭theo2008

cotwold wrote: »
    On a side note, Mason Hayes are definately employing at the moment.

How do you know this?

Has anyone heard anything from LK Shields?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

theo2008 wrote: »
    How do you know this?

Has anyone heard anything from LK Shields?

A friend was employed there and told me they were looking for others, the work was something to do with forced sales, repo for the banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daviddob

Susanfrank wrote: »
    I am wondering if any one knows when ODSE will be getting back to people who are succesful.

Also, how did others find the second interview?

I found the second interview horrible! they really grilled me on economy/aer lingus etc. haven't heard back so i'd say its not good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Susanfrank

i know how u feel david,feels like i was talking about the economy, banks, trade unions for about 10mins.i think they made offers last friday,didnt get a call either.guess was not meant to be so just have 2 move on:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daviddob

ya its just a pity cos that was my only chance for a bigger firm and it looks like the smaller ones are struggling! its lookin doubtful for the second yr in a row! disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

McCanns have started making their offers by telephone.

Ya mccanns offers are definitely out now. Has anyone heard from dillon eustace?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Irishlawgirl

What is everyone doing in relation to the rest of Ireland?? As in, I wasn't going to bother wasting my time (sounds dreadful but it would be my third year in a row) spamming firms and getting next to near no where doing it and especially in this economy which is actually getting worse (and I don't want to start a debate about the economy) - just want to see if people are going get the coffee into them and start sending out CV's to the rest of the firms out there. Realistically i'm sure there are people who will be hired as apprentices. Blackhall would look ridiculous with just having trainees from the top 20 firms in there - then again... what firm in their right mind would tie themselves down to a two year contract ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

johnfás wrote: »
    McCanns have started making their offers by telephone.

got no call from them so i guess that's over...

Advertisement