Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

P***ed off with driving

Options
  • 05-12-2008 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

I thought I would never reach this point but here we go.... I am so fed up with driving at the minute...! There is absolutely no pleasure in driving now..
    1. This is due to the fact that the roads are full of f**king donkeys who insist on driving at 37.32mph in a 60mph holding the whole country up. I dont mind sitting behind someone who is tipping along at 55-60mph I'll sit there all day no problem with a 2 sec gap. But these barstewards in their 94 Corolla's really get on my wick... They drive hugging the white line when there is loads of room on the side....:mad:

2. Tailgaters really really get on my nerves. Why sit 2" off someones bumper bullying them at 60mph...? What does this achieve...? This is a dangerous practice and seems to be getting worse. :(

3. Common courtesey seems to be all but gone. Its all fighting for lanes and people cutting you off to get in. We are all going the same direction what does 2 seconds matter ....?

Its got so bad now that I travel at 4-5am when all the "undesireables" are in their beds.

Sorry for the rant.......!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jtbub15

i can definately relate to you!!! i leave my house at 5.45 am every morning!! i arrive at my destination at 7.00 am.... 2 HOURS BEFORE i am required to be there but it means i dont hav to be on the roads when the maniacs come out!!

It does give me extra time to go through boards.ie tough!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Here we go again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I travel the N3 between 5:30 and 7am and I'd say 50% of drivers are not fit to be on the road their driving is so bad...
    The thing that really eeeks me are the trucks lane hopping in Navan to gain an extra car position between the lights :eek:

I've been cut off so many times by cars passing one or two others and then squashing in.... Its a bloody 3 mile line of traffic moving at 50mph !

One upside of the recession is the drop in the number of builders vans being driven by 17year old's with 15 polish blokes sleeping in the back... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

What is it with people cutting right in front of you from the right lane into the left on roundabouts on dual carriageways.
    I was missed by inches yesterday, this woman decides she wants both lanes and cut straight in front of me, no indicator (I'm in the left lane, she's in the right and no turn offs ahead) and then she starts beeping and waving her arms at me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Hope ya don't mind but I need to vent my own personal pet hate at the minute.
    Its cars turning left onto Pearse St but not waiting to see if the can clear the yellow box before they move out onto the road and so end up across the bus lane blocking a line of buses drive me mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I agree with the OP. I work shift and driving to / from work isnt too bad. Im in doing a training class tho at the mo in work I have to face traffic at busier times (8am / 4pm) and its utter pain. Every day so far I come across a bunch of idiots crawling on the backroads, idiots with blinding fog lights, not indicating, taking ages to pull out of junctions etc. Its bloody strangling. Once the road does open up here or there, its like a breath of fresh air.

For example this morning on the N3, theres an Audi A4 in front of me with the rear fog light on (no fog), so i flash him, then i flash my foglights a few times, and as I go by I gesture his fog light is on as he looks at me, once I overtake and pull in front of him, I flash my rear fog light. Later on he passes me again, the fog light still blazing.:mad:

I was out in on bike in Edenmore 2 mornings ago when a van decides to turn left in front of me without indicating almost cleaning me off the bike. I gave chase but couldnt catch the fking idiot.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It's for all the above reasons that my car gets parked up on a Friday night and doesn't get touched until Monday.

As she doesn't do the same mileage during the week, Mrs. R.O.R is the driver at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭curtin10

I Think people forget their minds and all sense of reason when they get into their cars. I have had people over take me on bends, brows of hills etc and to miss on comming traffic by seconds, and all for what - to pull into an off license 1 min away!!! They say do not drink and drive, i dont think some people should be allowed to drive for drink either. This country is full of idiot and inconsiderate drivers. I wish people would grow up. Thats my rant too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

get a motorbike. Ya never get bored driving one of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I thought I would never reach this point but here we go.... I am so fed up with driving at the minute...! There is absolutely no pleasure in driving now..
    1. This is due to the fact that the roads are full of f**king donkeys who insist on driving at 37.32mph in a 60mph holding the whole country up. I dont mind sitting behind someone who is tipping along at 55-60mph I'll sit there all day no problem with a 2 sec gap. But these barstewards in their 94 Corolla's really get on my wick... They drive hugging the white line when there is loads of room on the side....:mad:

2. Tailgaters really really get on my nerves. Why sit 2" off someones bumper bullying them at 60mph...? What does this achieve...? This is a dangerous practice and seems to be getting worse. :(

3. Common courtesey seems to be all but gone. Its all fighting for lanes and people cutting you off to get in. We are all going the same direction what does 2 seconds matter ....?

Its got so bad now that I travel at 4-5am when all the "undesireables" are in their beds.

Sorry for the rant.......!

You being pissed off is a problem you can fix yourself, If i had that attitude i would have had an ulcer by now.

If someone trys to 'take a short cut' let them
    If someone cuts in front of you, don't blast the horn and scream bloody murder.
    If a tailgaiter is up your ass, don't try to take action to get them to back off, if possible let them pass, it makes no difference to you, let them endanger themselves not you.
    On point 3, if someone wants to get into your lane, create space for them, at least you can be the courteous driver, doing this improves the flow of traffic for everyone.

Basically, you have to realise that public roads are just that, for the public and you have to accept the things that go on and not stress out about it.

Unless you want to do your car up like Mad Max and put some hurt on those fools.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think part of the problem is that whilst the roads are becomming better, the standard of driving is not and all too frequently people remain oblivious to everything outside of their car.

Only yesterday as I was heading outbound on the N4 after the Foxhunter in Lucan, a woman who was stopped at the end of the slip road wanting to join the N4 waited until I was about 30 feet from her (I was doing the 60km/h limit) before pulling out. There had been a gap of over 100m for her to pull out but she decided to wait until I was almost passing her stop line! Thank f**K my brakes were working and that there was no ice! I sat on the horn for about 30 seconds but there was no form of response from her!

Everyone has this kind of story and until there is proper education and driver responsibility, there always will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I love driving more than ever.

Its a war out there, just make sure your driving a big gun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I also love driving, I have to go from Tallaght to Sandyford which conveniently cuts out all the really horrible traffic, takes 30 minutes, ipod plugged in and happy as larry.

Try not to get so worked up, you are liable to get yourself or some else in an accident.

The best you can do is concentrate on your own defensive driving techniques and quit worrying about how everyone else on the road is behaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

I have to thoroughly agree with the OP. With regards to people driving 35-40 mph on a main road, this drives me up the wall! I mean, if you were offered €60k, why would you take €40k when you can have the 60!!! I'm a huge fan of driving, could drive to kingdom-come and back happily, but common courtesy and basic rules of the road seem to have gone out the window! It's almost as if its seen as the norm to cut people off, to not let people merge in traffic, to tailgate to the enth degree, to overtake ONLY on double white lines - the list is endless!

But like many have said, what can you do? Grin and bear it unfortunately.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

hellboy99 wrote: »
    What is it with people cutting right in front of you from the right lane into the left on roundabouts on dual carriageways.
    I was missed by inches yesterday, this woman decides she wants both lanes and cut straight in front of me, no indicator (I'm in the left lane, she's in the right and no turn offs ahead) and then she starts beeping and waving her arms at me :mad:

You were in the left lanes at a roundabout............I hope you weren't turning right?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

cul-2008 wrote: »
    I have to thoroughly agree with the OP. With regards to people driving 35-40 mph on a main road,

The thing is they go slowly on main roads but they'll keep the same speed going through villages. :confused:

+1 for getting a motorbike, it's a pleasure getting out on the bike, try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

micmclo wrote: »
    The thing is they go slowly on main roads but they'll keep the same speed going through villages. :confused:

you're spot on there! :) and the worst thing about it is the commute to work in the morning, when the traffic builds up to a half mile tailback behind the 'tool' up front doing 40 - leading to VERY dangerous overtaking by those who have left at 8.15 to be in work ten miles away at half past! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

seanybiker wrote: »
    get a motorbike. Ya never get bored driving one of em.

Good call there ...! Starting to look at a bike I had years ago.. A GPZ500s ! Good cheap reliable transport and the thieves take no notice :cool:

I often thought about getting an in car/bumper cam just to video all the a**holes and put them on the net .. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It's because they drive everywhere in a trance, or else nattering away to a mate, and have NO CONCEPT whatsoever about how they're slowing other people down. These are the people who if you took the mirrors off the car, they wouldn't notice.

Heading from KK to Waterford last night and someone in a 07 Micra pulls out onto the main street in Stonyford without indicating or even checking that there was a guy in a Kia approaching from behind (I was behind the Kia). I wonder did he/she even hear the blast of the horn from the Kia?

A few miles later in Knocktopher, the Kia had turned off and I was behind the Micra, which slowed suddenly and inexplicably, almost causing an accident, and then turned into a driveway. Cue another blast of another horn.

How can morons like this be allowed out unaccompanied (and I'm not even talking about in a car...)???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ive seen that so many times,wrecks me fluppin head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

How about we deputise 10,000 competent motorists, and fit their cars with 360 cameras? They need only have the power to stop drivers to confirm their Licence, Tax, Insurance and NCT: ie DELAY them for 5-10 minutes. Any offences they report could be confirmed by the video records before any points/fines are considered.

I dare say it'd be a hell of a lot more useful than the garda reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

How about we deputise 10,000 competent motorists, and fit their cars with 360 cameras? They need only have the power to stop drivers to confirm their Licence, Tax, Insurance and NCT: ie DELAY them for 5-10 minutes. Any offences they report could be confirmed by the video records before any points/fines are considered.

I dare say it'd be a hell of a lot more useful than the garda reserve.

Because the people that would want to join up would be looking for a power trip and its more than likely a motoroist would tell them to f*ck off.

Its not the Wild West ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ok seeming that everyone else is at it..

Does anyone know when the M50 upgrade at the airport is going to be finished.. its like a bomb hit it, im seriously considering getting a jeep to contend with the road.. even the "finished" sections of the M50 are a disgrace from a quality point of view, parts of the road are so elevated that you could lift off if you were going fast enough... is there a plan to go over these sections...

I still enjoy driving, once I don’t break the 180 rule.. I'll leave that to your imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I posted this in a topic over on the Galway City board, think it's appropriate for here aswell..

Was in the Esso service station (Tom Hogan's) on the Ballybrit Dual Carriageway in Galway on Saturday getting petrol. While I was filling up I saw this woman pulling out of the service station. She stopped immediately after she exited the service station and starts looking back along the DC waiting for a gap in traffic so she could pull out onto the main carriageway from a standing position! (Obviously you're supposed to use the slip lane to build up your speed to near 100kmh before you join the main carriageway). Even though I think the standard of driving in Galway is aweful and I'm not shocked by most things anymore but this really did shock me - the idiot could have caused a multi-car pile up!

Anyhow went in and paid for my petrol, then came out, got in my car to leave the service station myself. The car in front of me stopped and did the exact same thing as what I explained above. Two people did this in the space of three minutes! I wonder how many people you would see doing it over a 24hr period if you had a camera there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fricatus wrote: »
    which slowed suddenly and inexplicably, almost causing an accident
    Driving a tad close were we?
    Whilst its hard to do, its better for everyone especially yourself if you just grin an bare it. Dont even comment on it as it all just builds up and adds to your stress and tension levels. Try to be the safest most courteous driver on the road each day, who knows you may even get a smile back form someone.

/edit but since Im human :o
    Drivers either incapable or unaware that a roundabout can contain more than one lane and you dont just drive straight across/through them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Another thing that does my head in is when driving Eastbound over the N6 Quincentenary Bridge in Galway where there are signs telling people to get in lane and which lane they should be in about 500 or more metres back from the Galway Shopping Centre roundabout. Of course people ignore this until they're literally at the junction and then people have to stop to let them change into the proper lane. Completely slows down the flow of traffic through the junction and has been the cause of some accidents. Some people end up changing across 2 lanes right at the roundabout, so they effectively hold up all 3 lanes going through when the light goes green.

Don't know why people can't just get in the proper lane when they see the sign, local people should know what lane to be in before they even get to the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Slowness is the main cause of frustration. Anything less than 80km/hr in a car in clear conditions, in a 100km/hr zone and you should be off the road. Full stop.

Lorry drivers should be fined for overtaking on motorways. Tractors should be banned from all national primary roads. At least from 7am-7pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Buses and trucks in the overtaking lane, why would you drive badly when your contact phone number is emblazoned all over your vehicle? That and the strength of some vehicle's headlights this time of year really do my head in.

I agree that a let them at it attitude is required or else you'd go mad, just enjoy the occassional justice when a guy is pulled up for trying to sneak up a bus lane or motorway hard shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

KevR wrote: »
    Another thing that does my head in is when driving Eastbound over the N6 Quincentenary Bridge in Galway where there are signs telling people to get in lane and which lane they should be in about 500 or more metres back from the Galway Shopping Centre roundabout. Of course people ignore this until they're literally at the junction and then people have to stop to let them change into the proper lane. Completely slows down the flow of traffic through the junction and has been the cause of some accidents. Some people end up changing across 2 lanes right at the roundabout, so they effectively hold up all 3 lanes going through when the light goes green.

Don't know why people can't just get in the proper lane when they see the sign, local people should know what lane to be in before they even get to the sign.

Know that feeling lad .....! Another problem is the road up by the docks just in front of the hotel at the pedestrian crossing. Boys usually rip up the outside lane past the docks and then "cut in" just after the square right. This holds the traffic up as "Johnny Ignorant" causes "Civil Bill" to stop ...!:mad:

Advertisement