Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of a Peugeot 308 unless you can suggest something better....?

Options
  • 05-12-2008 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Right,

Have €16,000 of the banks moneys burning a hole through my pocket (no, I didn't rob it). Idea is to buy a second car as the missus has put her foot down and there will be no more disappearing on putting up miles on our current car. Recently got a job which requires me to travel a good bit (Limerick-Dublin 2x a week plus another 150 miles on good roads and 150 miles on back roads). Was thinking of trading up our existing, but that is out due to the fact we do need two cars and, well, if you've tried to trade in with a dealer lately, you know that's a pretty poor option.

Ok, so here is what I am thinking of going for. A ex-demo 08/58(maybe) Peugeot 1.6 HDi 110 from England. I reckon it I can have it over all costs included for €14,000 if I wait till the new year.

Unless, someone out there has a magical idea that will change my mind.

Taking into account:
    1) Efficient engine and cheap tax is a plus
    2) Under warranty is a plus
    3) There is no such thing as a recession-proof car
    4) No Audis. While I love my own, I've had nothing but bad experiences with the dealerships here and would prefer not to even give them money for servicing.
    5) Yes, I know it's a Peugeot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

You might be right - there is no such thing as a recession proof car, but there are cars that would be a better buy in the current climate - and IMO the Peugeot isnt one.

If it was me, i'd be looking at a Ford Focus, or if the Missus was interested, a new Fiesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

You might be right - there is no such thing as a recession proof car, but there are cars that would be a better buy in the current climate - and IMO the Peugeot isnt one.

If it was me, i'd be looking at a Ford Focus, or if the Missus was interested, a new Fiesta.

Am I right in thinking it is the same engine in the focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Don't buy peugeot. From my own experience I can say that parts are way too expensive. The car is built so that joe soap can't even do simple things like change the headlight bulb without a great deal of hassle, flexible wrists and small hands. Meaning for every little thing it's dragged to a garage where the mechanic will more than likely find something else wrong with it. And more often than not a simple sole part is only sold with three others connected even if u only need the one.

I'd go ford or toyota. I've been hunting for a week in different places so if ya want to give me a call I can pass on a few places to try.

Oh and I've learned over the last two weeks that the recession and cash in hand are fantastic tools. On on several occasions on Monday I was offered cars for €10 - €12k for just over 8k. I'd say with €16k cash in your pocked cars around €18 - €20 are a realistic goal. Not that you need to spend that much for a decent ford or toyota

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Kia C'eed or Pro C'eed 1.6Crdi 115ps. In Ireland the one to go for is the EX spec - not sure about the UK/NI.

Interior is a little cheap compared to Ford/Opel, but the engine felt much quicker in the few I've driven this year. Climate Control and Cruise Control as standard and a 7yrs warranty (100,000KM max though). €150 Road Tax on 08 models and the Pro C'eed is a cracking looking car IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Do you need to spend that much money? You can get a '06 307 hdi sport for bout €8k inc vrt. Will have higher road tax though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I posted a solution to someone else a few days ago in your boat.

It was a UK 2008, low mileage Focus 1.6TDci Zetec, think it was around €16K all in. A bit more would get you the top spec 2.0 TDCI Titanium which is a cracking car. Check out Motorpoint.co.uk.

A better bet than the 308 I think.

I've dealt with them before and was very happy with the cars and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

rgunning wrote: »
    Right,

Taking into account:
    1) Efficient engine and cheap tax is a plus
    2) Under warranty is a plus
    3) There is no such thing as a recession-proof car
    4) No Audis. While I love my own, I've had nothing but bad experiences with the dealerships here and would prefer not to even give them money for servicing.

I see nothing wrong with your logic here but consider all cars in the same type/bracket as the Peugeot. I had a rental 308 in Slovakia for 9 days and clocked 2k kms and it was fine I thought it was very plasticy.

Don't get too caught up on the cheap tax thing either as you could get a great 06 or 07 for thousands cheaper and only a difference of €250/year more on tax. How many years would you have to own it to make up the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

What about a VW Diesel Golf..my last car was a 1.9 TDI which was great..and I drove a lot..you shoule be able to pick up a 03 or 04 for around 16k..

plus they are very much in demand if you decide to trade in or sell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Right,

Oh your going to love peugeot dealers, you'd be better off droping your car in to a play school and letting the kid play with it, while making a sizable donation to the St Vincent Depauls than dealing with them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Why rule out a brand just because you don't like a garage where you got your car serviced?

My Audi gets serviced on my driveway.

I think a 308 would be a good buy if you hold onto it. We have an '02 307 from new and while it has had its faults, it's been pretty good overall. Not worth a penny now, but we buy cars to drive, not to sell in a year.

Mind you, a 308 might not be a good option for high miles in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

OP needs reliability and i don't think peugeot is the way to go for that.

Advertisement