Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey tasting

Options
  • 05-12-2008 10:59am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I drink my whiskey neat, however I've read several opinions here over the last while that state a drop of water can really open up the flavours. Any opinions? I've tried it once or twice and I think it must depend on the whiskey, some whiskeys suited it more than others, obviously it all boils down to personal preference but I'm still interested in opinions :)

Is there certain types of distillation where you think a drop of water may do great things for the flavour or do you believe that all whiskeys benefit?

What ratio water to whiskey would you use or does it vary?

I want to do some reading on the subject too so any recommended books, blogs or online articles would be welcome, I've done wiki to death (I think). I wouldn't have tasted a huge range of whiskeys but I'm working on it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭oconn

i would have a small drop of water rather than coke or lemonade...as they just make it taste like sweeties...unfortunatly im not an expert so cant advise on how much / temp etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Is there certain types of distillation where you think a drop of water may do great things for the flavour or do you believe that all whiskeys benefit?

For myself, the smallest amount I can put physically put in. If all I have is a jug of water, then the merest splash will do. At home, I have a small, plastic pipette (got it in Muji) that I can use to add, literally, a few drops of water.

It does depend on the whiskey. I've been amazed on occasion at the intensifying of aroma that comes from a little bit of water. I think it causes aroma compounds to precipitate out of solution and you can certainly see an oily effect in the drink if you look closely. I've also heard it said that water causes an exothermic reaction in the whiskey but I can hardly believe it's more significant than the warming effect of holding a glass in your hand.

Usually, I do not add water to the whiskey I'm drinking. If I'm formally tasting a new whiskey, I'll try without, then with, to be sure I haven't missed anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I drink my whiskey neat, however I've read several opinions here over the last while that state a drop of water can really open up the flavours. Any opinions? I've tried it once or twice and I think it must depend on the whiskey, some whiskeys suited it more than others, obviously it all boils down to personal preference but I'm still interested in opinions :)

I want to do some reading on the subject too so any recommended books, blogs or online articles would be welcome, I've done wiki to death (I think). I wouldn't have tasted a huge range of whiskeys but I'm working on it.

I think it depends on the whiskey. Some (I've heard) water can kill stone dead, while others it opens up. Blenders dilute whiskey when blending. I have also heard of heat of dissolution and that the water breaks the surface tension on the whiskey, alowing you to smell more from it. Most tastings I've been to they recommend water, apart from a few ones that water doesn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

I had a Jameson with my Dad last night. He looked at me as if I had two heads when I asked for ice in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

I once worked for a blender with a well known brand and when he was sampling anything from casks to finished product he would always dilute with water. It opens the whiskey up as at 40% or higher, the alcohol can have a deadening effect on the olofactory system.

All taste panel assesments are carried out diluted.

It is of course a matter of personal taste though. Anyone who talks about the only 'correct' way is talking nonsense. Sometimes I prefer whiskey neat, sometimes I add ice, sometimes water. It all depends on other circumstances ie after dinner drinks, people round, solo watching a film etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

MattKane wrote: »
    I had a Jameson with my Dad last night. He looked at me as if I had two heads when I asked for ice in it.

Your da's a smart man.

OP I had Locke's 8yo in the pub a few months ago. I had a sip neat first, and then with some water added. It took the burn right out of it, but imo made the flavor a little clearer and sweeter. Don't know much about whiskies so someone may say this was the wrong whiskey for water, and if that burn is part of the pleasure for you then water would be silly, but personally thought it was better with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

CL32 wrote: »
    I once worked for a blender with a well known brand and when he was sampling anything from casks to finished product he would always dilute with water. It opens the whiskey up as at 40% or higher, the alcohol can have a deadening effect on the olofactory system.

All taste panel assesments are carried out diluted.

It is of course a matter of personal taste though. Anyone who talks about the only 'correct' way is talking nonsense. Sometimes I prefer whiskey neat, sometimes I add ice, sometimes water. It all depends on other circumstances ie after dinner drinks, people round, solo watching a film etc.

I'd agree with that 100%. And when I said that blenders dilute whiskey when blending, I meant when tasting for blending.

Acutally, many would dilute to 15% and just nose the whiskey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Jameson 18 year old turns completely different with a drop of water, goes from fruity and buttery to tasting like bourbon biscuits. Worth trying both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

All whiskeys you buy are already diluted for you with the exception of the expensive cask strength ones (and these may even be diluted a little bit). You add extra water to suit your own taste. Most Irish blended whiskey has the minimum 40% alcohol amount so I would not add any more water to these. A single malt will generally be about 46% so could take more water. Generally a small teaspoon will do. I personally prefer to not add any water.

Advertisement