Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAT to NTFS

Options
  • 05-12-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i'm wondering if anyone here can help me, the missus has given me her fuji camera to put the pics onto disc, only problem is it uses an xd card which is FAT formatted, which cannot be read by my windows based laptop due to it bring NTFS formatted.

Is there any way i can get these off this card? short of me reformatting my hard drive that is :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Windows can read FAT formatted cards, no problem.

What error does it say when you try access the memory card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Are you plugging the camera in or do you have a card reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I have a card reader, no cable for the camera (the connection is smaller than mini-usb) i'm not getting an error as such, when i try to view the images from the card directly in windows picture and fax viewer it gives me drawing failed. and i get a triangular warning symbol in the taskbar but if i click on this it just disappears.

I'm not getting any error code as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭curtin10

It is possible that the card has corrupt - in which case a reformat and a purchase of bad copy pro will sort the chip and recover photos from it.

Also, if you go to the control panel - select administrative tools - computer managment- disk managment- Does the device show up here?

The only reason it is FAT formatted is because the card is possible 128 or 256 MB is size and as mentioned already, windows can read this.

If you are using a media card reader, try using the usb cable she got with the camera or you may have one from another device youy may have tht will fit. it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can go into a photo store and have them recover the pics - if all else fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

curtin10 wrote: »
    It is possible that the card has corrupt - in which case a reformat and a purchase of bad copy pro will sort the chip and recover photos from it.

this is possible, i'll have a look at it.
    Also, if you go to the control panel - select administrative tools - computer managment- disk managment- Does the device show up here?

yeah it's showing up and showing as "Healthy"
    The only reason it is FAT formatted is because the card is possible 128 or 256 MB is size and as mentioned already, windows can read this.

It's 256 so that's definately not the problem then
    If you are using a media card reader, try using the usb cable she got with the camera or you may have one from another device youy may have tht will fit. it.

unfortunately the smallest i have is usb 2.0 to usb mini, the camers seems to have a generic connection because the mini is too big for it.

Advertisement