Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reconnecting phone line internally

Options
  • 05-12-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

We got our front door replaced yesterday, and they seem to have severed our phone line. More annoying, they seem to have thrown out the cable too.

I'm clueless about this, but as I need the line back for broadband ASAP , was thinking about having a stab at it myself, with the help of your good selves. Even a temporary thing that'll get me through to mid next week until I can get an electrician in.

For a start, I'm not 100% sure which wires I'm looking at (they cut the alarm wires too, but they'd told me they were doing that).
    I've got two black sleeved copper wires coming in above the door frame and I'm guessing it's them - ringing the house phone from my mobile sounded like it was ringing, when I touched those two wires together I was getting an engaged signal instead, so I'm assuming it's those.

So I'm guessing it's just a matter of buying the correct cable to extend from there and a phone socket, and connecting it up? Or is there more to it than that? And what sort of cable am I looking for?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

[edit - if this is incorrect forum, please move]

[edit2] Problem solved (for now anyway). Rang the door company, found the other end of the cable, had a guy in doing some other work who managed to get everything connected up again. Still have to check the bb quality when I get home, but at least the phone line is up.

Advertisement