Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin and Vista problem

Options
  • 05-12-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Belkin G+ wireless router in the house and it works fine with my friends laptops (XP + Vista).

However I recently bought a new Dell XPS laptop with Vista and it keeps disconnecting from the router. It happens roughly every minute or so and then reconnects. I have checked the Belkin website and the router is compatible with vista.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi all,

I have a Belkin G+ wireless router in the house and it works fine with my friends laptops (XP + Vista).

However I recently bought a new Dell XPS laptop with Vista and it keeps disconnecting from the router. It happens roughly every minute or so and then reconnects. I have checked the Belkin website and the router is compatible with vista.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

Could you give a little more information please? Are you using the XPS with security on/off or what? Have you checked the xps in any other wireless situations to see if it actually works? Have you tried changing the channel in the Belkin? Have you checked to see if there is any update wireless driver for the xps?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Yikes sorry, I meant to say that it works fine in another house with an eircom router. My security settings are all on. Drivers seem to be in date (laptop is only about 1 month old anyway). Don't know what you mean by changing the channel in Belkin?

Thanks.

Wireless routers 'communicate' on particular channels - you change the channel number in the set up pages of the router. Have you tried the belkin and the xps with the security off? Have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates for the Belkin?

Okay, no firmware updates available. Changed the channel number but problem is still there. A little bit nervous to switch off security as I'm in a built up area, what exactly should I turn off? Windows firewall or Norton?

Thanks again.

Turn off the security in the router briefly. Again should be availabe on the router settings page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

ok heres my story.................we had a netgear router at home and everything worked fine in vista. My sister took the router to uni so i purchased a belkin router......after a week of experiencing what you have described in the original post and muliple assistance from belkin via email i was losing the to live so i brought the router back and got another netgear..............my problems dissapeared instantly...............in my reasearch for the problem all over the net i found many cases of belkin routers being totally rubbish and i have to say, they were not wrong...............moral of the story? bring it back if you can and get a netgear or somthing else.........if not, sell the belkin to somone you dont particularly like lol, and get a netgear.

Okay, its seems to be working fine now. I didn't turn off the security, so it seems changing the channel number worked. Couldn't bring it back as I bought it nearly a year ago and it works fine with the other laptops.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

He us right though, any consumer level Belkin device that I've ever worked with has gone faulty pretty quickly or just not functioned correctly at all.

Personally, I avoid Belkin like the torrelian plague!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Achilles wrote: »
    He us right though, any consumer level Belkin device that I've ever worked with has gone faulty pretty quickly or just not functioned correctly at all.

Personally, I avoid Belkin like the torrelian plague!

Second that, they are cheap and crap my preference is linksys however not the new routers/switches from linkksys they are no better then a belkin device.

netgear is another solid brand that should be considered for any type of wireless networks.

Advertisement