Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoked Haddock

Options
  • 05-12-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Right folks,

I want to cook a nice meal for my good wife tonight. Have some nice smoked haddock and want to cook it. Was thinking about cooking it in milk, butter in the pan for 10 - 12 mins. But how much milk do I put in? Do I cover the fish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

are u planning to make a fish pie, because u can use the milk u poach the fish in to make a lovely white sauce. put a diced onion and a bay leaf in the milk to flavour it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

foodaholic wrote: »
    are u planning to make a fish pie, because u can use the milk u poach the fish in to make a lovely white sauce. put a diced onion and a bay leaf in the milk to flavour it

Im going to use the milk to make the sauce you mentioned. But how much milk do I use to poach the fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Smoked haddock & spinach Risotto is one of the simplest tastiest dishes I have learnt how to cook in recent years.

1L fish stock
    300 Gms Arborio rice
    50 Gms parmigiana cheese
    100 Ml dry white wine
    3-400 Gms Haddock smoked
    I shallot finely diced
    25gms butter
    tblspn Oil
    150 Gms Spinach

saute shallots in oil and butter add rice, coat rice, add wine heat until evaporated/absorbed over moderate heat, add stock ladle at a time until absorbed, after 15 mins add diced haddock & grated cheese and after a further 3 mins add spinach and fold in cook until all stock is absorbed, season to taste (make sure you taste first as fish stock is very salty, veg stock can be used instead)

Delicious

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Depends on how much sauce you want to make afterwards but I'd say between 300ml and 50mml. I wouldn't be too worried abuot getting the amount exactly right though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Excellent. Cheers folks. Ill give that a shot tonight and hopefully my better half will like it.

Thanks again folks,
    W

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

dont completly cover the fish in the milk bring in 2/3 the way up the fish. make sure u poach it on a gentle heat though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Bought a fillet of smoked haddock today and am planning to have it tonight when I come home from football.

I have some baby potatoes which I plan to have with it also.

People any recipes or best way to cook it? I was thinking just in a frying pan with milk and I don't know what else? Could you maybe throw some vegetables in with it? I like peppers, mange tout and onions to name a few.

Or should I just cook it in milk and drain the milk from the pan and use some parsley sauce I have instead of the milk to go with it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Bought a fillet of smoked haddock today and am planning to have it tonight when I come home from football.

I have some baby potatoes which I plan to have with it also.

People any recipes or best way to cook it? I was thinking just in a frying pan with milk and I don't know what else? Could you maybe throw some vegetables in with it? I like peppers, mange tout and onions to name a few.

Or should I just cook it in milk and drain the milk from the pan and use some parsley sauce I have instead of the milk to go with it?

Thanks

Poach it in milk, just enough to cook the fish, ie 3/4 of the way up the fillet.
    Then make white sauce with the milk in the pan, including parsley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Poach it in milk, just enough to cook the fish, ie 3/4 of the way up the fillet.
    Then make white sauce with the milk in the pan, including parsley.

Thanks for your reply Charlie :D

I dont have any parsley, just had a packet of the parsley sauce. So it would just be white sauce I would be having instead?

How do I make the white sauce with the milk in the pan?

Anyway of including a few veggies?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Charlie :D

I dont have any parsley, just had a packet of the parsley sauce. So it would just be white sauce I would be having instead?

How do I make the white sauce with the milk in the pan?

Anyway of including a few veggies?

Cheers
    For the white sauce, melt butter in a pot and add equal quantity of flour stirring constantly on a low heat.
    Once all the butter is melted into the flour add the poaching milk slowly blending it into the butter+flour, it will be absorbed slowly by the flour.
    Keep adding the milk slowly and stirring so it doesn't catch.
    When the sauce is thick enough add the chopped parsley.
    Season to taste.
    Optional You can also add finely chopped onion to the roux as you make it.

Veg: I would steam some peas and julienned carrots with this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement