Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the three mobile brodband

Options
  • 05-12-2008 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

just wondering if the modem I am already using will work for three (or if I have to use theirs)
    It is a VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter and I am connected to the lightnet wireless broadband out here in the West.
    It fits into the USB port in the same way I understand that the three modems do.So why would I need a new one if I switched ISPs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

3G mobile modems, for all operators, are basically a phone (use a SIM card and all), completely different to other fixed line or wireless modems. USB is just a connector interface, and means nothing for computability of one broadband type to another.

VIA Rhine II is an Ethernet adapter, not the modem. Your modem may be connected to that, which means it's not even USB.

Anyway, the answer is no. You'll need a 3G modem, either from 3, which will be SIM locked to 3's network, or an unlocked modem, that can be used with any SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unless you specifically need a Mobile product, or there is something a problem with what you have, don't change :)

There are Dozens of completely different totally incompatible Wireless Internet systems designed for different purposes, spectrums and markets. They can have USB, WiFi, Bluetooth, serial or ethernet interfaces to PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

thanks

Advertisement