Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended reading for Christmas Holidays

Options
  • 05-12-2008 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hey, Im looking for recommendations for Christmas reading. Usually I just read fantasy or sci-fi, but when Im finished it generally goes into the ether of fiction I have read in my mind, no impact. Thats fine for the beach/bus journey or something, but I wouldnt mind something with a bit more impact for Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

God, the one thing I love about Christmas reading is that it won't have too much of an impact ... I just want something I can dive back into, even if I have a hangover. Which is why I'd recommend Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil, by John Berendt. It focuses on the real-life shooting of a rich American socialite and the subsequent trial of his young male lover but really, that's almost incidental. It's the characters the author meets along the way - and the city of Savannah, GA - that linger in the mind. I bought a second-hand copy for a sister as a stocking filler one christmas and by new year, everybody in the house had read it after hearing first one then the other sister raving about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I loved that book too. Another good one that I've read is The Time Traveller's Wife. I can't remember the author. It was a really unusual story. I was only reminded of it because I saw it in a bookshop the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

"Another good one that I've read is The Time Traveller's Wife."

+1

Yep - it'd almost tempt you home from the pub ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Birdsong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Thanks a mill for the recomendataions people. Im going to buy the time travellers wife, sounds really good. I like the touch of science fiction in it.

It sounds a bit like the movie "The Jacket". If ye havent seen that yet, rent it for sure its excellent, along the same lines but brilliantly acted by Adrian Brodey and Kiera Knightly.

I think there was a tv show made in America along these lines, Journey man. Never seen it, Im not sure if it just borrows from this book, or is based on it.

Thanks to last poster for recomending bird song, defo going to get that in the new year I like historically accurate fiction.

By the looks of usernames, no guys posted here, thats a bit funnny. Maybe I read to much

*looks for remote to turn on something called "soccer"*
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Just finished reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by david Wroblewski . Kind of a take on Hamlet involving dogs but amazingky written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The Pillars of the Earth is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Try 'Any Human Heart' by William Boyd, then anything else by this writer.

Oliverdog (of the Male persuasion!)

Advertisement