Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eat healthy to GAIN weight

• 05-12-2008 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

I need to gain weight for sports. I am 24, 6'1 and about the 150lb mark. I am hoping to gain 30lb in about 8 months (how realistic is this?). Any ideas for healthy foods that are easy to cook and will allow me to put on lean muscle in partnership with a weight training programme.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Pasta (preferably wholegrain), rice (same), Wholemeal bread, peanut butter sandwhiches and nuts as a snack i.e walnuts, Pecans, Brazillian Nuts etc, Gallon of milk a day, red meat such as chicken, steak, turkey, Ham, Eggs. Fish such as Tuna and salmon.

You can make sandwhiches with the fish and chicken or have pasta or rice with them. My advice and I was weighing the same as you and at the sme height is to eat 5 or 6 meals a day and eat twice the portion that would be considered for one person and incorporate a heavy weight training programme 3 days a week focussing on Squats, Deadlifts and Bench presses i.e the big compound movements. I put on a stone in weight withing 8 weeks eating a lot more and lifting big. Good Luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

+1 to what billyhead said.
    Just don't forget to have your 5 a day of fruit and veggies. There very important for your vitamin and nutrient intake :)

P.S. I hate you..... Most of us are the opposite with xmas:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I put on over 20 pounds in three months by doing the 20 Rep Squat program twice a week (and dirnking a lot of milk!!), some was fat but in fairness I was drinking alcohol twice a week as well. Ya could do it and about that in muscle over eight months if you squat, if you're new to weights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If you are lifting heavy and eating enough protein and good fats the muscle gain will take care of itself. But from the sounds of things you are pretty underweight, at least for your goal-you should be eating all around you, worry about body fat later, if it even becomes an issue.

Advertisement