Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audio Driver Issue

• 05-12-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭

A friend of mine recently bought a new laptop and being somewhat techier than him he asked me if I could downgrade it to XP. I've done this on a few computers before including my own and although there's always some small issue I've never had one as persistent as this.

I cannot get the audio driver to work though I'm nearly positive I have the right one. It's the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. The laptop is an HP Pavilion DV5 1015ea, xpsp3 made with nlite.

devicemanager1ls6.jpg
    w640.png

The things I've tried so far are

1. Going to hp to download the drivers. There is no xp drivers section available for this laptop on hp so I went to the vista section and downloaded the driver. I extracted it and found an xp folder and tried to install. While it appeared successfull the device manager remains as it is above.

2. (from a few other forums) Uninstalling the driver and editing a registry value to make the installer think it's sp2. reinstalling the MS UAA update (KB888111) Then installing the driver, changing back the registry value and restarting. No joy.

3. Installing the above with a custom hotfix pack for sp3.

4. Installing older versins of the same driver.

5. Using Driver Genius to find the driver.

6. Shouting at the laptop.

None of these have got me anywhere to date except to the point where the computer finds new hardware, re-installs drivers and then still has that little yellow exclamation mark beside it.

This is going on now for 3 or four days and although he's quietly patient I'm sure he wants to play with his new laptop. I think the other unknown devices are mostly bluetooth drivers so I figured i'd deal with them later.

Any help MASSIVELY appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Reboot and try number 6 again.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Have you tried:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/OTHER-SOUNDCARDS/ECS-945GCT-M2-V10-IDT-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-040.shtml

What does it say in the Device Manager, device cannot be started, no drivers found?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Username! wrote: »
    Have you tried:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/OTHER-SOUNDCARDS/ECS-945GCT-M2-V10-IDT-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-040.shtml

What does it say in the Device Manager, device cannot be started, no drivers found?

Downloading that now. In device manager it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
    Tallon wrote:
    Reboot and try number 6 again.....

Done. No joy but I feel much better now. ;)

Still not working. I forgot to mention that i'm getting an error on shutdown also. "sigmatel-IDT-systray.exe" has to be manuallly shut down each time. I know this can be fixed in the registry or through the startup config but could this be a symptom of the same problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Uninstall any Sigmatel or other audio drivers and then reinstall just the main drivers, no applications and see if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement

Fraid not... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

I re-install Windows quite often on the side and have come across this on both desktops and laptops. Usually most driver issues are with older models. Anyway when i have this problem with desktops i usually take note of the serial number on the motherboard and this leads me to the manufacturer website where i successfully install the drivers. I know your problem is with a laptop but if you could retrieve the motherboard serial number i bet you'll find a sufficient driver.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Chances are maybe there is no XP drivers available. According to google that laptop has 4 gig ram, why not use Vista? It flies along with that ammount, downgrading is usually trouble like this, its possible no driver was ever produced for that chip for XP, just Vista, A Vista restore would be a simple solution in this case, especially as according to google it has 4 gig ram

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

i seen this posted before on a thread, i have not personally tested this method but it might be of help to you so give it a go, best of luck, i feel your pain , there is nothing more annoying than something so simple become so annoying

http://www.instantfundas.com/2008/06/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices.html

@ steps; Got the motherboard serial but it's an odd make that a number of sites dont even list called quatro.

@ Yoyo; Loads of laptops in the same DVx series have had this problem but resolved it I'd be shocked if this one model is different. Also i'm downgrading by request not by choice though I can't stand vista myself.

@daftdave; Thanks a million for that. really good resource. Unfortunately it couldn't help me here but i'll hold on to it for future use.

Still got the same problem so i'm gonna try a fresh install and reinstall of audio in a different order. Apparently the UAA bus driver can cause inumerable problems. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnsonrasta

hi legologic i have the EXACT! same problem i had a very simula laptop hp pavilion6000 somthing witch with alot of agro i downgraded to xp64 again this laptop had for 4g ram, that was then stolen and i recently got this laptop to replace it after trying xp64 and getting no were and i mean no were i have tryed xp32 got most drivers but and like you still stuck on this IDT HDA CODEC and base system device like you if you get any were plz let me no but i have been told staight from hp that they do not suport xp on this modle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Why would you downgrade to xp64? Vista64 was a huge improvement over xp64 in every way :confused:

If you don't have drivers when downgrading its pretty much tough luck on laptops unfortunately, sometimes you get lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I think I came across this issue before on another newish HP.
    Anyway, try this fere app and see if you can identify the various unknown hardware listed by it's Pnp id.

http://www.zhangduo.com/unknowndeviceidentifier.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnsonrasta

had vista 32 not 64

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dontbossme

legologic wrote: »

w640.png6. Shouting at the laptop.

That wont work

But i am with you on this 1 same problem here on a lenovo N500 3000 i feel like doping this laptop of the top floor of liberty hall and then going down and kicking it in the liffiy

• Registered Users Posts: 9 peagussdog

you have a sigmatel product . . . go to this website http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-34282-pavilion-dv7-vista-to-xp the driver your looking for is on this page . . . hope this helps:cool:

Advertisement