Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Access Only (Vista) when switching wireless network

Options
  • 05-12-2008 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

An annoying issue that I hope someone can get to the bottom of.

At home, I have BT broadband, using a Zyxel router (not sure of the model) - if in the evenings I connect to this with my laptop, and come into the office the next day and try connect, I always get "local access only" and have to repair the connection in order to get online.

The repair is just "automatically get new ip....."

The router in here is a Netgear (again not sure the model). Just wondering if anyone else has come across this.

It happens with two laptops in here, both running XP.

Thoughts appreciated! :)

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Check the DHCP lease time handed out on the Zyxel router. It could be too far into the future.

As Sam Couter once said: "Never ever allow a Windows box to grab a DHCP lease with an expiry time that exceeds the limits of your patience."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You have to set the Network as Private then you can get it to connect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Ok guys - no luck. Any other ideas?

Tom

Advertisement