Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References

• 05-12-2008 2:00pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had no idea where to put this thread - but it's sort of a graduate job I'm applying for so thought maybe here would be good.

I want to apply for 2 internships. Both of them require me to send 2 reference that state why I'd be good for that job. One is a job, one is a research position so I think then I'd need 4 references as I couldn't just use the same 2 twice.

My current situation: MA student, took a year out before this so hoping undergrad people remember me. Also they want current transcripts. Would this be the courses I'm doing now, which of course will have no grades , or my last ones, from summer 07, which isn't current!

My main question is about references. The thought of asking someone to write good things about me is making me nauseous. Do people get asked to write these all the time? So it wouldn't be a big deal? I could get an academic one no problem. But for a general person, how does someone go about it? Buy them dinner?

I've also been told it is very common for people to write their own and get someone important to sign it. Not sure I like that idea....

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

People do get asked to write them all the time, and most likely we have some kind of generic template they'll tweak dependant on what you need. Who are you thinking of getting to do your character one for you?

Why can't you use the same set of references for both positions?

Re the transcripts, the Summer 07 one is the only one of any use, unless you've sat some kind of exams so far on your MA in which case you could use that one.

Advertisement