Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple, Light Starter for Christmas Dinner

Options
  • 05-12-2008 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Just wondering if you have any suggestions for a light starter for Christmas dinner that wouldn't be too difficult to make?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

prawn cocktail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Every year without fail, we have melon balls as our Christmas starter. It's a family tradition. :) Takes 5 minutes to prepare...top with a glacé cherry. Classy!

Failing that, you could make a simple soup. Leek and potato?

Slice some leeks and potatoes, and sauté in a mixture of butter and olive oil until softened. Add a couple of litres of chicken or vegetable stock and season well with black pepper. Boil until veg is tender. Liquidise, and return to the pot, and add milk or cream to taste as you reheat. Simple and always a crowd-pleaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd second the soup idea - but get the giblets from the turkey and boil them up the night before for a cracking stock. Then add what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I'm also looking for a starter idea. For the last few years, I've made a salmon terrine, from the Avoca book. It is lovely but this year I want to do something different. The starter needs to be cold and made in advance. So soup is out. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd second prawn cocktain. Easy, can be prepared in advance, and is yummy!

• Advertisement

I've also been thinking about prawn cocktail. The only issue for me is that we are spending Christmas day in my brother's house ( 7 adults and 7 children:eek:) and each one of us is bringing a course/dish. Mine is the starter. So whatever I do has to be transported from my house to theirs. I suppose I could bring the lettuce, prawns, avocado and sauce in separate containers and plate it up when I get there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Sliced smoked salmon rolled with a horseradish and cottage cheese centre along with an avocado salsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

bruschetta - simple & easy! or else smoked salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

McCambridges brown bread
    Molloy's smoked salmon
    Wedge of lemon...

Good times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Smoked salmon is what I'm doing, just make sure it's on brown soda bread not just brown bread. For the one person that is refusing to eat it I'm giving her salad, she's bringing the dressing, she's really fussy she will eat only one type of dressing and she can't remember which one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Serrano ham and melon with some olive oil and pepper. Can't get simpler or tastier!

Oh - talking about smoked salmon, Avoca make a fabulous pate-type thing with cream cheese, dill and a few other things. You could buy it and serve it on bread (they sell it in tubs, or in a terrine style) or try to make it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MORISH

I'm a sucker for a nice prawn cocktail, my bro wouldn't let us have anything else on christmas day. If your travelling i think its an easy one to do as you can make the sauce before you go and then all you need to bring is the prawns and salad and a lemon. Put the bag of prawns in a bag of ice and they'll be grand.

I've decided to make 2 starters. The first is the tried and tested Salmon Terrine from the Avoca book. The second is cold spiced beef (if we're allowed to eat beef). I'll preslice each dish and lay on platters with rocket and brown bread.

On the subject of beef, I'm a big fan of the Italian cured beef, brasaola. It can be served with parmagianno and rocket. It is an amazing combination of flavours. Could one do the same with spiced beef, or would the flavours be too much?

Now I think of it, I might ditch the spiced beef and have the brasaola instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

mags16 wrote: »
    I'm also looking for a starter idea. For the last few years, I've made a salmon terrine, from the Avoca book. It is lovely but this year I want to do something different. The starter needs to be cold and made in advance. So soup is out. Any ideas?

Hi, do you have a recipe for the Avoca Terrine? Tried googling but no luck....

I hope I'm allowed to share this recipe. Mods please remove if against the rules.

Salmon Terrine

Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
    2 rounded teasp. dry gelatine
    800g salmon fillet
    110g smoked trout (I left this out last time and it was fine)
    300ml mayon.
    300ml double cream, lightly whipped
    3 teasp. horseradish sauce
    Bunch fresh dill, chopped
    200g sliced smoked salmon ( i usually need more)

I halved this recipe last time and it was plenty as a starter for 6.

Poach and flake salmon fillet.

Put lemon juice in bowl. Sprinkle gelatine on top. Set aside.
    Put cooked salmon and trout in a bowl. Fold in mayo, cream and horseradish. Season well. Add in the dill.

Line a 2kg loaf tin (or 1 kg if doing half) with clingfilm. If you sprinkle water on one side of the film, it clings better to the tin. Take a sprig of dill and put it in the centre of the tin. This looks very pretty when you turn it out. Line the tin with the sliced smoked salmon, leaving the ends hanging over the top so that you can fold them over when you fill the tin.

Stand the lemon juice and gelatine bowl over a pan of simmering water. Allow to dissolve without stirring. Add some of the fish mixture, mix and then add the gelatine to the fish mixture and fold in. Check seasoning.

Pour mixture into the tin. Fold any leftover smoked salmon over the top.

Cover and chill overnight.

To serve, turn tin up side down, remove tin and clingfilm. Slice with sharp knife.

Avoca sell a different 'pate' which is made from smoked salmon, cream cheese, horse radish, dill & lemon. Not sure of quantities (I just took those ingredients from the tub) but it's damn fine tasty!

Edited to say:
    Just bought a tub, in order that they appear on the label they are:
    Smoked salmon, cream cheese, horseradish sauce, creme fraiche, dill, lemon juice, salt & pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

Smoked Salmon on McCambridges brown bread and butter, drizzle lemon juice on top.

Couldn't be simpler.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

-I'm in the same prediciment myself. I'd like to avoid fish altogether for this, dont facy a soup either. We did chicken samosas one year with a lovely chutney, that worked very well. The search continues for me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

How about this, made the night before, small slices with salad?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm really full after my tea, that nearly pushed me over. Thanks regardless Thoie.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

mags16 wrote: »
    Salmon Terrine

Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
    2 rounded teasp. dry gelatine
    800g salmon fillet
    110g smoked trout (I left this out last time and it was fine)
    300ml mayon.
    300ml double cream, lightly whipped
    3 teasp. horseradish sauce
    Bunch fresh dill, chopped
    200g sliced smoked salmon ( i usually need more)

Hi, I can only find leaf gelatine in tesco's, will this work??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Yes, leaf gelatine will work. For 2 rounded tsp, use 3 sheets. Soften them by placing in a heatproof bowl with the lemon juice in it (wait a couple of seconds before placing the next sheet in, as they can stick together), and leave to soften. Make sure they are completely submerged in the liquid - add a little water if required. Once softened, melt over a pan of simmering water and continue as per the original recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi Mags16

If you're still on boards, just a quick line to let you know this turned out fab, thanks so much for posting it up.
    And thanks to Magic Monkey for gelatine conversion, I only had leaves not powder.
    salmon terrine.JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sounds delicious. I'll close the thread now though, since it's so old :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement