Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bully/Canem Canis Edit

Options
  • 05-12-2008 2:10pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Any other fans of this game here. I just finally beat it there during the week on PS2 and thought it was excellent. I'd go so far as to say I enjoyed it far more than the GTA games and it's nicely checkpointed with no nasty difficulty spikes that GTA suffers from. It's looks decent enough for a PS2 game despite being lumbered with the ugly looking GTA engine. The missions are much more varied than the GTA games. I like the humour as well, it's not really laugh out loud but it's all a bit naughty and low brow like something you would read in the Beano as a kid. And for all the Daily Mail screaming about it, it manages to be very unoffensive with you playing a character who is trying to stop the bullying in the school. It's a real shame it didn't get the commercial recognition it deserved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Bolgey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Any other fans of this game here. I just finally beat it there during the week on PS2 and thought it was excellent. I'd go so far as to say I enjoyed it far more than the GTA games and it's nicely checkpointed with no nasty difficulty spikes that GTA suffers from. It's looks decent enough for a PS2 game despite being lumbered with the ugly looking GTA engine. The missions are much more varied than the GTA games. I like the humour as well, it's not really laugh out loud but it's all a bit naughty and low brow like something you would read in the Beano as a kid. And for all the Daily Mail screaming about it, it manages to be very unoffensive with you playing a character who is trying to stop the bullying in the school. It's a real shame it didn't get the commercial recognition it deserved.

my thoughts exactly,great game, even better than many gta. not sure wether i would count san andreas in that bracket though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Been thinking about getting it for ages to tide me over until GTA 4. Then I waited when I heard it was being ported to the PC, but by all accounts that's turned out to be rubbish.

Might pick it up for the Wii to tide me over for a year or so until they fix the gazillion bugs in GTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Playing it right now. Got it last week for the 360. Not sure what to make of it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I picked it up and played through it on the wii. The controls were fun. It was a good game. Defo worth picking up on the wii seeing as there is not much else out for it. Dunno if I would heap the praise Retrogamer is putting onto it. Some of the multiplayer games on the Wii version had me in stitches when going head to head against a friend though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played it when released a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Most sandbox games up until then had been crime based so was great to see something experimental, and they handled it extremely well. A smaller game than a GTA, yes, but also far more focused as a result. I loved the vehicles in the game - speeding around town on the unlockable go kart is a lot of fun, and the changing seasons always provided variety - and felt the story and characters were handled well. There were problems - races were often insultingly easy if I remember correctly, and some of the classes were a bit frustrating - but it is a fun and original game which I too may well have enjoyed more than the PS2 GTA games. Also worth trying Persona 3 if you like this, which really reminds me of Bully in terms of the school and social system, but adds that to a kick ass JRPG.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not saying it's perfect, there are plenty of flaws and bugs in particular the shop classes which are impossible because the game fails to recognise inputs on the PS2. However it's loads of fun, charming, quite original and I found I enjoyed it more than the GTA games which I always found over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I got it off ebay last year or the year before

i didnt think it was ground breaking or anything, just a very good solid game

actually, might play it a bit seeing as the ps2 is set up at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The 360 version is only €13 on play.com right now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Great game, Really enjoyed 360 one, really well designed and fun, pity PC version turned out crap, definately as fun as the GTA series at times

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've played through lots of the 360 version, I must get back to it. It's fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

played a fair bit of it on the xbox 360. However quickly fell out of love with it, and when i was offered plenty of cash to buy it off me, o sold it without second thought.

I felt it lost its charm early on, but its a nice game to tide you over for a few days, but something I dont think would keep my interest long enough, considering i only ever finished GTA 1, london and 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

The ps2 version was good but the 360 port was completely broken when it came out. An emergency patch fixed most issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Picked it up off lay for the 360 and playing through it at the mo.. Enjoying it much more than any of the GTA3 games. Well worth the €13

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gathering dust on a shelf. Only played an hour of it last xmas.

I got this for xbox 360 last week and think its great! Its just an enjoyable game which isn't very hard compared to other games Ive been playing at the moment so you can just sit back and enjoy it. I thought before I bought it would be very repetitive but its not with a lot of different kind of missions. My only complaint is (on the 360 anyway) is that it does stall a lot so I have to save the game after every single mission and class because I'm afraid its going to stall again. But that aside I think its a great game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Have it for the PS2 but got sidetracked after playing for a few hours... Was pretty damn enjoyable from what little I played.
    Just ordered the 360 version for myself, can't go wrong for a tenner:D

Advertisement