Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

changeing bulbs and car warranty

Options
  • 05-12-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi Guys I have a Mazda 3. 08. I would like to change the light bulbs to Philips Blue Vision H7 is it hard to change the light bulbs in the mazda3 and it I do change them will it effect my 3yr warranty.

Any help with this I would very Grateful

Thanking you

Keith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't know about how difficult it is to change them on your car, but it certainly won't invalidate any guarantees.

Unless you're dead set on the 'blue' look, instead of the Blue Vision, I'd suggest either the Osram Nightbreakers of the Philips X-Treme Power. Try powerbulbs.com to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nightbreakers ftw
    (also blue looks skangerish imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭keitht

I just like the effect of the blue light

keitht wrote: »
    I just like the effect of the blue light
    Personally I'd rather be able to better see where I'm going, but each to their own, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

do you not think they're more blinding and therefore dangerous for other road users? Personally I hate them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Alun wrote: »
    Don't know about how difficult it is to change them on your car, but it certainly won't invalidate any guarantees.

Unless you're dead set on the 'blue' look, instead of the Blue Vision, I'd suggest either the Osram Nightbreakers of the Philips X-Treme Power. Try powerbulbs.com to get them.

Leave the originals there. In the past 3 years I have tried the Halfords 50% brights ones, cheap 50% brighter ones, and Philips X-Treme Power, and regular Halogen ones.

The "bright" bulbs have a terrible lifespan. I installed the "X-treme power" bulbs in April, and one blew yesterday. The cheap ones lasted a month and the halfords ones (GE) about the same as the Philips. Interestingly in every case the second blub follows soon after the first one going.

I have never had a regular Halogen blow after any less than a few years, and I think I'll just go back to good quality halogens... the difference in light is not worth the expense and particularly the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

My Osram Silverstars are still going strong... 2 years on and about 50K KM's driving.

ciarsd wrote: »
    My Osram Silverstars are still going strong... 2 years on and about 50K KM's driving.
    Haven't noticed any problem with the Philips Vision Plus bulbs I've got on my car either. No better or worse than "standard" halogens with regard to lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Can't say anything about the life expectancy of the Osram Nightbreakers yet ...but even if they only last one winter, they are well worth it.

(Only cost me 8 Euro per bulb)

Alun wrote: »
    Haven't noticed any problem with the Philips Vision Plus bulbs I've got on my car either. No better or worse than "standard" halogens with regard to lifetime.

Interesting. Not sure why they blow, i don't touch the glass or anything like that when fitting, and no other bulb has blown in the car in the 3 years or so I have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

peasant wrote: »
    Can't say anything about the life expectancy of the Osram Nightbreakers yet ...but even if they only last one winter, they are well worth it.

(Only cost me 8 Euro per bulb)

where do you get them for 8 quid a bulb ??

Will the Philips Blue Vision H7 bulbs I ordered on line be as bright or brighter than the standard bulbs that are in my car?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

keitht wrote: »
    Will the Philips Blue Vision H7 bulbs I ordered on line be as bright or brighter than the standard bulbs that are in my car?

Brighter with a blue tint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

The phillips bluevision are by no means blue when lit up. They're just bright white. They're not blue like the cheap halfords ones.( However the bulb glass is coloured blue)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bought two sets of Osram Nighbreaker H7s today, will be fitting one pair tommorrow, do I really need to change the H1 main beams too or are the H7 dippes enough?

I bought a set of Nightbreakers now.

There is definately a difference between the normal halogens and the bright bulbs (hard to know exactly how big).

Maybe I am unlucky, or perhaps it is something funny with my car, I don't know!

One more chance!

bazz26 wrote: »
    Bought two sets of Osram Nighbreaker H7s today, will be fitting one pair tommorrow, do I really need to change the H1 main beams too or are the H7 dippes enough?

Conventional bulbs do a good enough job on main beams IMO (unless you are a rallye driver). It's the dips that are crucial. On a narrow country roads with no markings and oncoming traffic you need to put as much light on the road as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Why don't you fit a Xenon light system altogether, you can buy them on www.ebay.pl for around 140 euros or less and fit them in 15 minutes. Some are charging 600 euros here for the same thing, typical rip-off Ireland.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

junkyard wrote: »
    Why don't you fit a Xenon light system altogether, you can buy them on www.ebay.pl for around 140 euros or less and fit them in 15 minutes. Some are charging 600 euros here for the same thing, typical rip-off Ireland.:rolleyes:

HID conversion kits are banned in some countries such as the UK because they don't have European Type approval (i.e. no 'E' logo). I don't know what the legal situation here is though but I suspect it could be similar.

The problem with these kits is that the 'standard' headlamp lens tends to allow too much scatter which can dazzle oncoming traffic. If you want HID lights you should change the entire headlamp unit to a proper bi-focal HID unit, this will definitely cost you many times more than the conversion kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

slimjimmc wrote: »
    f you want HID lights you should change the entire headlamp unit to a proper bi-focal HID unit, this will definitely cost you many times more than the conversion kits.

Also called Projector headlamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Changed them today and noticed the improved beams already especially on the country lanes I travel. Think there is no need to upgrade the main beams, as peasant said they are powerful enough as they are.

Re: Xenon lights, not bothering to spend that sort of money on something the next owner will probably get more value from as I will probably be selling the car at some stage in the next 12 months.

Thanks everyone for all there help

Advertisement