Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cascarino: It's the end for Keane

• 05-12-2008 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭

I always thought Cascarino was a Muppett.

Just wondering if people agree on the below and also if they agree that Cascarino is a fool?
    Former Manchester United captain Keane quit as Black Cats manager on Thursday, with reserve-team boss Ricky Sbragia in temporary charge after chairman Niall Quinn failed to talk Keane out of quitting.

And Cascarino told talkSport: "He's taken the easy option.

"He's not rolled up his sleeves and even with as much courage as Roy Keane says he's got, this is the end for him.

"He'll not manage again. No-one will give him the opportunity to manage a football club because they won't trust him. That's the bottom line.

"Up until the last few weeks where it's gone pear-shaped and he's not had the results, I thought he'd done a good job.
    "But they are only two wins away from mid-table.

"You're going to have bad results in your management career as you do in your playing career. But you don't just walk away."

Cascarino also doubts Keane ever united the dressing room, citing what he believes is the former Manchester United's lack of communication.

"What amazes me about Roy, and I've shared many dressing rooms and played lots of matches with him, is that he would be very insular about the way he felt and very rarely said things like he says via the media, and that's very strange for someone who says they are very honest.

"He never said things in the dressing room, very little came from Roy, he didn't have friendships, he didn't care and ultimately his dealing with people has been his downfall.

"Knowing Roy, he's never had a dressing room.
    "He's never had anybody on his side because he wouldn't get that close to people.

"He would have them at arm's length all the time and if you look at his signings, he's churned players over at an incredible rate."

Is Tony Cascarino a Muppett 45 votes

A Muppett
    0% 0 votes
    A Legend
    100% 45 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cascarino is a grade A clown whether he's talking about Keane or, as is usually the case, himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Bruce and Keegan, to name but two, have walked away from multiple jobs and been employed again. Including by former employers, in both their cases.

Might be the end of Keane the manager, noone knows yet - but if it is, it won't be because he walked away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In fairness, regardless of what you think of Cas, everything he said was spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I predict that Keane will definitely go back into management. Dunno when though.

Anyone know, is he the youngest manager in the PL? Or rather, WAS he for the past year and a bit? Off the top of my head I can't think of any younger... Would have thought Gareth Southgate, since he still looks about 12 years old, but alas, he is 38! Ince is 41

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tony who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Undeniably muppetty imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Obviously an axe to grind too.

For further reference: see Dunphy, Eamon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Takes one to know one,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

complete Muppet, just loves the sound of his own voice. i think pundits criticising managers is a bit rich, hes a younger dunphy, but not as grumpy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's not wrong in anything he says though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think he brought in too many players, there was too much turnover of first team starters for him to ever have the solidarity of the dressing room.

His transfer dealings were attrocious. Lots and lots of complete duds and one or two decent signings at hugely inflated prices.

I don't doubt he'll work again and he has the attributes to become a manager, and don't forget he's very young and this was his first job in that role, we all make mistakes when we start our career and I think he will look back at leaving Sunderland when he did and not pushing for the results to get the season back as a mistake, but he has lots of time and no better man to learn from it.

Don't forget in the begining of Fergies reign at united he took over a big club doing badly, simular to Sunderland, he spent lots of money and they were nearly relegated, but he hung in there and won the FA cup and kept them up and look at all his has achieved since. Without him united may never have grown from just a big club to world football super power.

As for Cascarino. Complete clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭seandugg

Tbf he might be a bit of a muppet but how about discussing the article and the bigger muppet, keano. Everything he says is spot on. When the going gets tough keano gets going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone know, is he the youngest manager in the PL? Or rather, WAS he for the past year and a bit? Off the top of my head I can't think of any younger... Would have thought Gareth Southgate, since he still looks about 12 years old, but alas, he is 38! Ince is 41

Chris Coleman at Fulham was the youngest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Kevin Keegan never won anything but left newcastle (twice ) and the England job .Nothing to suggest keane wont have learned from the expierence and be back in football again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Seaneh wrote: »
    In fairness, regardless of what you think of Cas, everything he said was spot on.

because you spent so much time in the united dressing room?

ntlbell wrote: »
    because you spent so much time in the united dressing room?

He's not the only ex teammate of keane who has said this about him

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I don't particularily care for either Keane or Cascarino, but I reckon we haven't seen the last of Keane in top flight management.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

There's a certain irony to Tony Cascarino having a pop at Roy Keane for 'taking the easy option', but the 'Irishman' claims that Royston will never be trusted with another top job after walking out on Sunderland on Thursday. However, in a colossal meeting of minds, Stan Collymore claims he can see Keano managing Manchester United soon...

hahahahahahaha! gotta love f365. best site ever.

and big tony is a legend cos hes such a muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cascarino is in no place to talk, he has never been in management. Wonder why? Oh yeah cos he is a muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Maybe he left for non footballing reasons. Does his wife cry all the time when faced with the paparazzi? Maybe he some family problems to sort out.

keano243322boh1.jpg

seandugg wrote: »
    He's not the only ex teammate of keane who has said this about him

Yeah and he used to ring paul ince every week when he was managing Macclesfield because you know he's a wan*er who doesn't care about anyone but himself

cas is a f*cking idiot and if I was keane I wouldn't have anything to do with him eithier.

Don't read too much into red top trash, if you care to look around there's plenty of evidence that outside of old trafford roy had many footballing pals he just tended to avoid f*cking idiots like cas.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Maybe he left for non footballing reasons. Does his wife cry all the time when faced with the paparazzi? Maybe he some family problems to sort out.

keano243322boh1.jpg
    Maybe Roy just let a horrible fart, but she couldn't open the window cos of the journalists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Maybe Roy just let a horrible fart, but she couldn't open the window cos of the journalists?

"I felt it brewing, I just let rip, Take that I snarled"

eirebhoy wrote: »

keano243322boh1.jpg

"Look, at the end of the day like we'll be ok, Gillian Quinn has lined us up for some DAZ adverts."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

Have to laugh at the people who call him a muppet. Cascarino has had an incredible career and is a smart and shrewd enough player to make money on the professional poker scene. Never came across as a muppet, always has an opinion and at the very least is not clueless.His analysis is on the harshest end of the scale for Keane criticism but he's pretty much spot on. I've lost a lot of respect for Keane after he quit like this, it really is true what people have said about him over the years. I thought more of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Cascarino wrote:
    He's taken the easy option.

Up until the last few weeks where it's gone pear-shaped and he's not had the results, I thought he'd done a good job.
    But they are only two wins away from mid-table.

You're going to have bad results in your management career as you do in your playing career. But you don't just walk away.

If you look at his signings, he's churned players over at an incredible rate."

I agree.
    Cascarino wrote:
    This is the end for him.

He'll not manage again. No-one will give him the opportunity to manage a football club because they won't trust him. That's the bottom line.

I agree.

I think Cascarino is partially right in that, Keane bottled it in the end (maybe he was pushed, who knows!). Sunderland are better off now than they were 19 games into last season, so there is an improvement there at least which I feel Keane could have built upon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Jesus1222 wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the people who call him a muppet. Cascarino has had an incredible career and is a smart and shrewd enough player to make money on the professional poker scene. Never came across as a muppet, always has an opinion and at the very least is not clueless.His analysis is on the harshest end of the scale for Keane criticism but he's pretty much spot on. I've lost a lot of respect for Keane after he quit like this, it really is true what people have said about him over the years. I thought more of him.

+1

I've always had time for Cascarino. There aren't enough pundits/analysts who say it like it is, with far too much sugar-coating for my liking. Tony is certainly no sugar-coater, and he definately isn't concerned about losing any cred from people who have blinkers on because of their love affair with Keane. Fair play imo.

I heard it on TodayFM coming home from work. It was funny that whenever it cut back to Mark Lawro, he was like "ehhh..".

Yeah and he used to ring paul ince every week when he was managing Macclesfield because you know he's a wan*er who doesn't care about anyone but himself

cas is a f*cking idiot and if I was keane I wouldn't have anything to do with him eithier.

Don't read too much into red top trash, if you care to look around there's plenty of evidence that outside of old trafford roy had many footballing pals he just tended to avoid f*cking idiots like cas.

So OUTSIDE of the club where he spent over 10 years he has lots of footballing friends.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Cas? - Legend!

At least Roy will have more time to walk the dog now.

seandugg wrote: »
    So OUTSIDE of the club where he spent over 10 years he has lots of footballing friends.....

No, that he was friends with lots of the lads from the team but away from the club.

e.g. he didn't touch willies with them in the dressing rooms, but did have very good friends at united over the years

maybe he had something to do with him being the most successful captain of the club.

I've played in teams where players come they train they go home they didn't go the pub or mess around they weren't arseholes that's just the way they are his deminiar in the dressing room is irrelvant what he did on the pitch and what he made others do on the pitch is the job of a capatain not to be talcing up their arse cheeks after they shower

cop on lad

1214: In case you missed it, the big news today is that Roy Keane has shaved off his beard. He's Keane-shaven you could say. Keane, clean… oh whatever. Anyway, today's big question is: will Keano be back in management?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7766280.stm

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I predict that Keane will definitely go back into management. Dunno when though.

Anyone know, is he the youngest manager in the PL? s 41

Chris Coleman by a long way.

Southgate was younger than Keane when he started too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

No, that he was friends with lots of the lads from the team but away from the club.

e.g. he didn't touch willies with them in the dressing rooms, but did have very good friends at united over the years

maybe he had something to do with him being the most successful captain of the club.

I've played in teams where players come they train they go home they didn't go the pub or mess around they weren't arseholes that's just the way they are his deminiar in the dressing room is irrelvant what he did on the pitch and what he made others do on the pitch is the job of a capatain not to be talcing up their arse cheeks after they shower

cop on lad

And this is what you would call ideal managment material, Kenny Cunningham actually more or less supported what Cas has said but obviously alot less harshly when he was talking about the dressing room at Sunderland under Keane and Cunningham definitely has no axe to grind with Keane

Advertisement