Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco and Self Service Checkouts

Options
  • 05-12-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hi, new to all this, anyways posting on behalf of my sister, dont know if this thread belongs here so sorry if not.

So anyways, my sister went into our local Tesco store in Offaly. She was picking up a few bits and bobs and a few bottles of bud. When she went to the self service checkout she scanned her bud and the beep beep alert came on for staff to age verify for the sale of alcohol.

Now i should point out my sister is 25. The staff member came over and quizzed her for a second, seemed happy with her response and proceeded to enter in the code to allow her to complete her transaction. She paid for her goods and got her receipt and proceeded to leave.

Then she was stopped by the staff member who had approved the transaction and said she would need to see some id from her. So my sister proceeded out to her car and came back in and provided her licence verifying her age of 25. The staff member said it was unacceptable and she would need to see a passport or another form of id, which she didnt have. The staff member then said she wud have to confiscate the alcohol and refund her. Anyone else have this problem? Sorry for the long post but lets just say my sis is none to impressed !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tell her to make an official complaint to Tesco head office. A full driving licence or passport are valid, legal forms of ID.

And then never shop in Tesco again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Once she paid for the goods, they were legally hers. Tesco staff have no right to confiscate anything after they have accepted payment. Your sister should ask for the manager at the store, and complain that the staff member (hopefully she got their name) illegally confiscated her goods, and also that the staff member allowed the sale of alcohol without first checking ID, which both the staff member and Tesco can be in a lot of trouble for.

She really shouldn't have given back the drink, she shouldn't have even gone to get ID, as the sale had already been completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I would have told her to f*ck off and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

thanks for the replies, anyone know if she can do anything about it, even though she has gone from the store :)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

I would have told her to f**k off also. Employee was at fault in the first place. I've never had that problem in Tesco's so i would continue to shop there. Ask for manager and make an official complaint as the previous poster said your sister legally owned the products after the purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Indeed, if they tried to stop you and called security, they are opening up a massive legal hole for themselves in same light as wrongful arrest. Also, drivers licence in Ireland (once full) is a legally acceptable form of ID whereas for some reason, provisionals are not.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

thanks for the replies, anyone know if she can do anything about it, even though she has gone from the store :)

As above, complain to manager of store, in writing. Contact tesco from their website giving as much detail as possible. Even better if you have your receipt.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thing is, Tesco had sold the drink, so even if your sister was under age they had already broken the law and could be fined for doing so.
    sounds like somebody on a power trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Tesco only accept passports, I've sen this enforced in loads of Tesco's and heard about it from people who worked there, so this is probably the main issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

So this so-called company policy they have of only accepting Garda ID/Passport is illegal on their part??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Tesco only accept passports, I've sen this enforced in loads of Tesco's and heard about it from people who worked there, so this is probably the main issue.

i was in tesco years ago and my swedish mate was buying wine(we were all old enough) and presented her passport as ID. lady behind the counter said they only accepted garda id cards, my friend explained she was foreign and didn't have one. No dice, said the lady.we walked out and bought the wine at the local offo.

Passport and driving licences are legal, state approved forms of ID. they have to be accepted.

also, the goods were legally your sisters, the assistant had no right to demand them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Crazy policy :eek:

I don't make a habit of carrying my passport around with me at all times just in case someone wants it as ID!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The supermarket is required to confirm the purchaser is over 18. It is up to the supermarket to decide what form(s) of ID they will accept.

As others said OP, get your sister to write a long stinky letter to the manager of the store.

Thanks a million for all the replies ;), i will tell my sis to send them a letter, will let ya all know if she gets a reply but i wont be holding out much hope :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Regardless .. the issue here is the ops sister had already purchased the goods, therefore she owned the goods, futhermore she had left the shop, if the staff or security had attempted to detain her it would be false arrest. Everything after they accepted payment for the goods, if they attempted to stop her would be false inprisonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Thanks a million for all the replies ;), i will tell my sis to send them a letter, will let ya all know if she gets a reply but i wont be holding out much hope :D
    Don't waste your time with a letter. Call into the store to speak with the manager face to face. At least you will be guaranteed a response. Any letter will likely be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

snubbleste wrote: »
    The supermarket is required to confirm the purchaser is over 18. It is up to the supermarket to decide what form(s) of ID they will accept.

That was my understanding too.

eth0_, TheDriver and Lollipops23, have you any source for the legal requirement to accept state ID?

jor el, there's no requirement to check ID, just to be satisfied that the customer is over 18. How you do that is up to you (the vendor), (as is any risks associated with that approach, obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

well it's not like a nightclub where they can choose not to let you in cos they don't like the look of you!

you need a passport to get a Garda ID....that in itself makes a mockery of refusing a passport in favour of a Garda ID!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If ID is requested and cannot be produced then the vendor musn't sell the item (drink/cigs) to that person, the transaction was complete according to the OP so the matter of ID is moot

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Passport and driving licences are legal, state approved forms of ID. they have to be accepted.

they do not have to be accepted, the retailer can accecpt what they like. I have seen faked driving licences(pretty crap tho). retailers who only accecpt garda id do so because if it ever went to court the retailer can only defend on the garda id anything else is too risky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

well it's not like a nightclub where they can choose not to let you in cos they don't like the look of you!
    But they could, you often see signs, the managment reserves the right to refuse admission. I am pretty sure they could legally refuse to sell you something, be it bread or booze, and not have to give a reason.

rubadub wrote: »
    But they could, you often see signs, the managment reserves the right to refuse admission. I am pretty sure they could legally refuse to sell you something, be it bread or booze, and not have to give a reason.
    no, they cant just refuse because they want to that would contravene your equaility rights for a start.

you can be refused service for many reasons and yes you have to be given one.

where bouncers have you is a drunken persons provision in the liquor laws where by a person whom the bouncers/bar staff/checkout girl thinks has consumed excess amounts can be refused service/entry on that grounds alone. I know mates of mine who are non alco's who get this treatment but there is nothing really you can do about it because it does not contavene your equaility rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Who on earth carries their passport everywhere with them?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

People who look young and regularly buy beer in Tesco maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that Tesco clearly state on posters and signs that they only accept Garda ID. I don't think that there is any legal issue with this as long as they inform you.

As most posters have pointed out, your sister had completed the sale and the goods were hers. By selling them to her, and by her paying, the contract was complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

you can be refused service for many reasons and yes you have to be given one.
    There is no legal obligation for you to be told a reason.
    cgarvey wrote: »
    eth0_, TheDriver and Lollipops23, have you any source for the legal requirement to accept state ID?

Still waiting.

Agreed (in an attempt to remain on-topic) that the sale was completed and the goods were hers. Tesco should have called the Gardaí at that stage, as they'd no right to confiscate her goods.

cgarvey wrote: »
    There is no legal obligation for you to be told a reason.

Agreed (in an attempt to remain on-topic) that the sale was completed and the goods were hers. Tesco should have called the Gardaí at that stage, as they'd no right to confiscate her goods.

Trust me I know first hand that if I want to refuse service I have to give a legitimate legal reason why.

In essence what your saying is that I can refuse service to a person just because i dont like them and not give them a reason. You open yourself to such legal shoe in the hole its not worth it.

That person can automatically assume I'm refusing service because they are who they are ie members of the travelling community and can do me over a barrell for the same reason, I have no proof later that I refused service for a particular reason,ie they were abusive to my staff or I was unhappy that they had already consumed alcohol in excess.

back on topic I agree that Tesco messed up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

no, they cant just refuse because they want to that would contravene your equaility rights for a start.

It would only contravene your equality rights if you were refused for a reason that's covered by equality legislation (eg race or religion)

But as was said it's best not to because if the person happens to be a member of such a group they can pretend they were kicked out for that reason and screw you

But if im not mistaken dont their signs state if you are lucky enough to be between 18 and 23 you should carry some form of id. However she is 25, actually 26 in a week, she has never had this problem before and on numerous occasions purchased alcohol from this store. She showed me her receipt today, they sent her over to the customer service counter for her refund and the girl crossed out the alcohol with a pen, and also ripped off the bottom end of the receipt :confused::confused::confused: anyone here know why they would do that ??

Thanks by the way for all the replies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

THey had no right to take back the product once the transaction was finished, technically if they detained her its false imprizonment.

they can have any conditions relating to their sale of goods, ie only people in blue shirts can buy drink, if thats what they choose to do. imo not accepting a drivers licence is poor practise.

Gerry i never give a reason for refusing admission, imo if you give a reason it opens up the whole slander area, your under no obligation to do so as effectively the shop is private property. but i do agree with you that is a sticky area.

Advertisement