Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summerslam 2002?

• 05-12-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi all, first time poster in this forum. Used to be a huge WWE fan but haven't watched it properly in a few years.

I was just thinking about Summerslam 2002 lately (some classic matches) but when I tried looking it up on youtube they only had a few of the matchesw. Does anyone know of any sites where i could stream the full ppv from?I'd really appreciate it. Also does anyone know where I could watch the promo video?I can only find the song but not the video....

One last question - does anyone remember the name of the PPV where HBK won the Championship after his comeback that year?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I was just thinking about Summerslam 2002 lately (some classic matches) but when I tried looking it up on youtube they only had a few of the matchesw. Does anyone know of any sites where i could stream the full ppv from?I'd really appreciate it. Also does anyone know where I could watch the promo video?I can only find the song but not the video....

You can get that DVD dirt cheap from silvervision.co.uk if you pay in sterling! Cos there are few sites that stream old stuff, and the links aren't legal to be posted here.
    One last question - does anyone remember the name of the PPV where HBK won the Championship after his comeback that year?

Thanks a million!

Yep, Survivor Series 2002 in MSG, NYC. You're welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

http://dailymotion.alice.it/relevance/search/summerslam%2B2002

He won the World Title in an elimination chamber match at Survivor Series . Beat Triple H, Booker T, Kane, Rob Van Dam and Chris Jericho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

Thats great thanks a mil :D

Think i might hint for the dvd for xmas!

Thats great thanks a mil :D

Think i might hint for the dvd for xmas!

It's actually worth keeping. It's got a nice handful of extras including the Rock and Brock training video montages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

One of my favourite WWE ppvs from that era, a blinding opening match between Rey and Angle and a pretty solid midcard, fantastic HBK effort and Brock/Rock was a great main event, awesome crowd too as only a NY crowd can be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Aside from WM X7, I think Summerslam 2002 is the best ever WWE card. Top to bottom (aside from Undertaker Vs Test) it is very solid, with a massive opener in Angle Vs Myseterio, a nice Jericho Flair match, the best street figght in WWE history and a supercahrged main event. Glad I have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ah summerslam 2002, really warm day in manhattan, hop on the long island railroad from penn station for the one hour ride to uniondale, even warmer in uniondale, getting a bus from the station to the arena and then about 50-60 people running across a motorway :eek:

hearing in the queue that rock was leaving WWE (hadn't read gossip pages in a week) and my brother complaining that the card was "poor enough" on paper as they opened the doors

angle and mysterio tearing down the house in the opener, flair and jericho, rvd and benoit, edge and eddie, michaels return and everyone booing rock out of the arena :(

2 or 3 different guys offering me $100 for my ringside chair coming out, taxi back to the station, driver asking who won lesnar/rock, train ride back into NYC and everyone asleep on board when we arrive back into penn at about 1am, great day, great ppv, the memories :)

rightly voted best major show for 2002 on WON awards

rossie1977 wrote: »
    booing rock out of the arena :(

He deserved it, sorry but he was only back a wet day and he was gone again. By that stage fans (myself included) were getting sick of his half assed attitude to pro wrestling. If you want to be an actor, fine, but dont come back for two months, take the belt and then walk off again. That's just sh*t form, even Hogan didn't sink that low when he was on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

While i see your point, I do not see that particular reign as politicking. I think at that time, the best person to get over the Rookie Monster was The Rock, regardless of how the live audience reacted to him that day. Beating The Rock, the top man, put Lesnar over more than he already was.

gimmick wrote: »
    While i see your point, I do not see that particular reign as politicking. I think at that time, the best person to get over the Rookie Monster was The Rock, regardless of how the live audience reacted to him that day. Beating The Rock, the top man, put Lesnar over more than he already was.

I'm not implying Rock was politicking. However there was no need for that Reign, Taker v Brock for the title would have been just as successful in my honest opinion, and a lot better than at abortion of a hell in the cell that happened a few months later.

• Advertisement

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I'm not implying Rock was politicking. However there was no need for that Reign, Taker v Brock for the title would have been just as successful in my honest opinion, and a lot better than at abortion of a hell in the cell that happened a few months later.

Thought was widely regarded as one of the better HIAC matches? Havent watched it in a while though

i don't think taker/brock would have generated such an atmosphere, there was outright hatred for rock from fans that night which made it all the more special

krudler wrote: »
    Thought was widely regarded as one of the better HIAC matches? Havent watched it in a while though

I never rated it at all! I thought time would change my mind on it, i still see it as a glorified bloodfest. It helped cement Brock as the #1 bad guy at the time, but that went to waste as he was turned face the month afterwards.

I've always said they needed to stop HITC after 1998, maybe with the exception of HHH/Foley at No Way Out 00.

He deserved it, sorry but he was only back a wet day and he was gone again. By that stage fans (myself included) were getting sick of his half assed attitude to pro wrestling. If you want to be an actor, fine, but dont come back for two months, take the belt and then walk off again. That's just sh*t form, even Hogan didn't sink that low when he was on top.

I don't know man, that WrestleMania 9 ending was pretty sour and for what ? a 2month title reign ? Wasn't WM 8 supposed to be Hogan/Flair for the belt ? But Hogan said he was finished with wrestling. I think they were as bad as each other although Hogan did pack in the acting eventually.
    I do agree though that Rocky's part timer approach was piss poor.

i don't think taker/brock would have generated such an atmosphere, there was outright hatred for rock from fans that night which made it all the more special

Fair enough point however, because Taker was so loved at the time (he wasn't long from turning face again), and Brock was so hated, i'm sure it would have more than made up for it. It wouldn't have been the classic Brock/Rock was, but this is Summerslam, it's not exactly known for it's classic moments.

I've always been in two minds about the Rocks later years in the WWE, while in the long run it was a better career move with a lot less physical stress involved to be an actor (and a competent one at that) than it was to spend the rest of his years being beaten up for a living, but at the same time its annoying that he keeps going on about how much he loves the business, yet refuses to have anything to do with it anymore, HOF aside, there was a sort of mixed reaction to him in Orlando after a while when he was going on about how much the business meant to him, but hypocritical after he didnt even do any interviews for his own 3 disc dvd and has often said he'll never return to the ring again, he's still the greatest mic worker ever inthe WWE though, nobody else comes close

Finally someone gets where i come from with this guy! Thank you Krudler!

I think you're right but Taker had been a heel for a while though so on paper I suppose it looked better to have Brock beat the number 1 babyface of the previous year.
    I never rated it at all! I thought time would change my mind on it, i still see it as a glorified bloodfest. It helped cement Brock as the #1 bad guy at the time, but that went to waste as he was turned face the month afterwards.

Taker seemed to stop selling his "broken arm" half way through the match.
    I thought the blood was excessive as the feud didn't seem to warrant it.
    In hindsight it seems confusing - Brock wins the title, over as a super tough guy heel by beating Taker to a bloody pulp, month later screw him over to turn him face.
    I've always said they needed to stop HITC after 1998, maybe with the exception of HHH/Foley at No Way Out 00.

Absolutely. I don't think they've built a story up to a point where the Cell match seemed justified , if you get me ? The first one I thought made total sense because of all the interference in the weeks leading up to it and the Trips/Jack No Way Out match helped to amplify what the intensity.

I've always been in two minds about the Rocks later years in the WWE, while in the long run it was a better career move with a lot less physical stress involved to be an actor (and a competent one at that) than it was to spend the rest of his years being beaten up for a living, but at the same time its annoying that he keeps going on about how much he loves the business, yet refuses to have anything to do with it anymore, HOF aside, there was a sort of mixed reaction to him in Orlando after a while when he was going on about how much the business meant to him, but hypocritical after he didnt even do any interviews for his own 3 disc dvd and has often said he'll never return to the ring again, he's still the greatest mic worker ever inthe WWE though, nobody else comes close

thing is rock never really loved the business, it was a means to an end for him imo, he was one of the best college footballers in america, without question bound for the nfl and a huge contract, then he got a very bad injury and bang went his nfl chances, he ended up playing pro in canada for a while and admits he hadn't a clue what to do when his team dumped him

he went straight into the wwe after a short stint in ecw with a huge push and big money so he never had to work his way up like so many who were making it big around that time (foley, austin etc). had he had to live in camper vans and eat out of tins like austin had he would have either
    a.left the business much earlier
    b.respected the business more

I think you're right but Taker had been a heel for a while though so on paper I suppose it looked better to have Brock beat the number 1 babyface of the previous year.

Rock was gone for a good bit of 2001 too if i recall correctly too :/
    Absolutely. I don't think they've built a story up to a point where the Cell match seemed justified , if you get me ? The first one I thought made total sense because of all the interference in the weeks leading up to it and the Trips/Jack No Way Out match helped to amplify what the intensity.

It's like the overdoing of steel cage matches as of late. They've run out of ideas so give em a few toys to spice up the match.

• Advertisement

Cage and ladder matches should only ever be used to end feuds imo, its really not rocket science you build the feud to a point where either outside interference/teammates keep ruining matches and the only way around it is to lock the guys in, same with ladder matches it should be a struggle to get the belt not just a random match thrown in to pad out a Raw or ppv, take the first , well not the first but the most influential ladder match between Razor and Shawn, the 2 IC titles made a perfect reason to have the match, it wasnt just for the sake of it

Ah yeah.... He was out from the night after Mania (vs Austin in a cage match, Triple H interfered for the beat down) until shortly after Invasion (came back to save us from the dreaded WCW .

I'm watching this SummerSlam now . For some stupid reason I recorded it on LP :mad:
    Kurt Angle's candy stripe singlet is cute :p

This match is the business though, Kurt looked tough but not too big or juiced up.

Cage and ladder matches should only ever be used to end feuds imo, its really not rocket science you build the feud to a point where either outside interference/teammates keep ruining matches and the only way around it is to lock the guys in, same with ladder matches it should be a struggle to get the belt not just a random match thrown in to pad out a Raw or ppv, take the first , well not the first but the most influential ladder match between Razor and Shawn, the 2 IC titles made a perfect reason to have the match, it wasnt just for the sake of it

Anyone fancy a "specialty match thread" ? I was thinking about starting a Ladder match thread meself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea i think he was gone just after WM X7 and returned after the Invasion PPV

I love that Angle/Rey match, its one of the finest opening ppv matches ever, the crowd is white hot from the get go, I really need to go see a ppv with a NY or Chicago crowd, they **** all over the people they dont like, like Rey getting booed out of the Garden at the 08 Rumble, great stuff :)

I love that Angle/Rey match, its one of the finest opening ppv matches ever, the crowd is white hot from the get go, I really need to go see a ppv with a NY or Chicago crowd, they **** all over the people they dont like, like Rey getting booed out of the Garden at the 08 Rumble, great stuff :)

And Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series 96.

And Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series 96.

New York were always heel friendly, an issue Shawn had no clue how to deal with at that Survivor Series either.

they were white hot when the FBI warning came up on the titantron :D

there was great banter on the bus ride from the train station just to the arena, big gang of NYC ghetto guys with Rock gear on them, saying stuff like "big white boy is going down tonight" :P

they were white hot when the FBI warning came up on the titantron :D

there was great banter on the bus ride from the train station just to the arena, big gang of NYC ghetto guys with Rock gear on them, saying stuff like "big white boy is going down tonight" :P

Its funny when stuff like the piracy warning and WWE logo gets a pop from the crowd, woooo! anti piracy messages!

Decided to dig out the DVD, jesus, that really was a hot opener. It was exactly what Angle needed as well after the joke of a program he had with Hogan prior to it.

Onto Flair/Jericho here. Flair's recent theme is overdubbed with his 92 theme on the original WWE Home video DVD.

• Advertisement

Another awesome match, and exactly what Flair needed to get back into the game. Back when Jericho had hair, muscle definition, didn't wear a nappy.

Something got edited out of this DVD, between the end of the match and the Brock/Heyman promo. I'm guessing it was an advertisement for the now deleted Hulk Still Rules DVD.

Edge v Eddie Guerrero up now.
    The Sinister Urge is overdubbed on this.

Decided to dig out the DVD, jesus, that really was a hot opener. It was exactly what Angle needed as well after the joke of a program he had with Hogan prior to it.

Onto Flair/Jericho here. Flair's recent theme is overdubbed with his 92 theme on the original WWE Home video DVD.

Eddie v Edge was very good. Better than I remember. I've skipped past the Un-Americans match, not interested. RVD/Benoit next. Damn this is a hot card.
    Something got edited out of this DVD, between the end of the match and the Brock/Heyman promo. I'm guessing it was an advertisement for the now deleted Hulk Still Rules DVD.

Yep it was.

Eddie v Edge was very good. Better than I remember. I've skipped past the Un-Americans match, not interested. RVD/Benoit next. Damn this is a hot card.

Yep it was.

Eddie looked horrid here, bloated to bits. Edge looked normal, remember when he had long stringy hair and only one tattoo?

Back when Edge had about five or six finishers too.

Christian and Lance Storm, vs Booker T and Goldust.
    I now see why Alan fast forwarded it. All exposed for the midcard scrubs that they were, and in some cases, still are. :)

I thought RVD came off that match looking very well. Then they got rid of that belt and saddled him with Kane for most of the following year I think ? He was in that Chamber match though.

Taker/Test up next, I think I'll try and watch it all for the lulz.

I thought RVD came off that match looking very well. Then they got rid of that belt and saddled him with Kane for most of the following year I think ? He was in that Chamber match though.

Bleugh, Bookdust vs UnAmericans were wretched. Christian was so pudgy then, no wonder he was made keep the string vest.

Funny segment where i've never seen a guy look so uncomfortable whilst getting literally eaten alive by Nidia!

RVD v Benoit for me
    Taker/Test up next, I think I'll try and watch it all for the lulz.

Just another chapter in the Worst of The Undertaker at Summerslam book.

• Advertisement

Just another chapter in the Worst of The Undertaker at Summerslam book.

Oh yeah, I just had a quick think about this :
    01 - tag cage match with Kane vs Kronik
    00 - a non-finish match with Kane
    99 - tag title match with Show vs Xpac/Kane
    98 - vs Austin. Austin was knocked out early in the match and it suffered from it.
    97 - vs Bret. Bret carried that one
    96 - boiler room brawl vs Mankind. Oh dear.
    95 - I think this was a casket match against Kama ? At the start of it Taker had Kama in some choke hold and the ref (possibly Jack Doan) started counting him until he broke the hold. Eh, casket match no dq thanks?
    94 - vs someone or something I can't remember. I think this one was erased from my memory by a lightening storm.
    93 - Gonzalez, as if one PPV match wasn't bad enough
    92  - Kamala.

Ok, I somehow survived the "Test" . Get it ? I survived the full match, the test. :)
    That joke was better than the match!!

Non-sanctioned HHH vs HBK up next. I didn't really like this at the time, I don't know why. I loved Michaels so of course I was looking forward to it.

Edit : what the hell was with the streamers ?

Oh, Howard Finkle's heel turn :confused:
    "you've got the puppies, I've got my wiener"

Oh, Howard Finkle's heel turn :confused:
    "you've got the puppies, I've got my wiener"

That was about as interesing as Trish's ring work at the time.

I fell asleep during the Undertaker/Test match, but i recall being sent to sleep by that match on a couple of occasions before, after all, it is Taker. The Shawn/HHH match was all kinds of awesome, showing that he still had it in him after four year hiatus.

Knocked it off for Brock/Rock as visitors arrived to the place, but i do remember the crowd cheering like mad when Brock won the big one.

Advertisement